Columbus, OH. USA
✟19,475.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Politics
US-Constitution
Does anyone here play 40k?
I've been playing, off and on, since the original Rogue Trader rules got exported to the United States.

Currently I have a Space Wolves army and a Khorne Beserker army. Thinking about expanding and getting an Ork force.

BTW, anyone here have the Dark Heresy RPG?

Upvote 0

ChooseTheRight

Jan 11, 2008
✟15,603.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I've been playing, off and on, since the original Rogue Trader rules got exported to the United States.

Currently I have a Space Wolves army and a Khorne Beserker army. Thinking about expanding and getting an Ork force.

BTW, anyone here have the Dark Heresy RPG?
Thats cool. I play Tyranids at the moment, but also have Marines and im doing Orks now. Ive been playing since 2nd ed.

Upvote 0

Scorcher505

aka Seaniekins
Apr 23, 2006
Michigan
✟9,492.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Thats cool. I play Tyranids at the moment, but also have Marines and im doing Orks now. Ive been playing since 2nd ed.

I started with nids and am now selling them. I have a necron army now and play with my friends often

Upvote 0

Swordslingerchristaintwo

Oct 16, 2006
✟8,228.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I've really looked at them. The one thing holding me back is the price. One thing I've looked into was more open wargames. I came across Ground Zero Games series: Dirtside II, Full Thrust, and Stargrunt.
All three are really open ended. You can use their story or write your own (If you'd like too.) and you design your units from the ground up. But best of all, you can use any miniature of the proper size. This makes buying your army a lot cheaper.

Upvote 0

Gawron

Apr 24, 2008
✟5,109.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I also have been playing 40K since Rogue Trader came out, and still have all of the original books and such. I have always thought it a good vehicle for small unit tactics.

I have a large Marine army, a smaller Ork one, a Chaos horde, and lately have gone into Tyranids. Painting them is way of relaxing, as I don't get to play that often.

The price is outrageous lately, but I don't buy that much. It is a good game, I just wish I had more opportunity to play.

Upvote 0

Isambard

Nihilist Extrodinaire
Jul 11, 2007
✟12,789.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Ive always wanted to play, but the combo of time commitment (Id want a unique paint scheme), price, and lack of people to play with always held me back. That,and I think I have enough nerdy hobbies ><

I do read books about the 40k universe though, and am really enjoying graphic novels by Abnett.

My favorite guys are the Death Guard :D

Upvote 0
V

Vehementi Dominus

Yeah, the Black Library publications are sweet.

'Specially trhe Grey Knights series, and the Horus Heresy series.

I play Ultramarines, though used to play Black Templars, Dark Eldar and Biel Tan Eldar. Thinkin' 'bout goin' back to the Templars, though, 'cause when I played them, they didn't have Emperor's Champions, no Land Raider Crusaders, no Neophites intergrated into tacticals, no Sword Brethren, they were just another chapter, like any other.

To all you who play as Chaos, you will be CRUSHED by the might of the Emperor's Fist!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Oct 9, 2008
✟7,637.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I play both 40K and Fantasy. Currently debating whether I want to drop my Daemon army in Fantasy because I just can't get into the lack of artillary and ordinance. I like my templates :( . Thinking of building a warpfire based Skaven army or maybe just go with Chaos: Hordes.

I also own Dawn of War from base game to Soul Storm. I am waiting for DoW II to come out. I am following Relic's news releases as they are developing a 40K MMO. I also read some of the BL publications, mainly the Heresy series. I also have a soft spot for buying codices just for pure fluff and art value. It can be hard on the pocket book I will admit, but if you have your bills in line, and your savings/Emergency fund met, all the rest is entertainment.

Orks
Necrons

Fantasy
Chaos: Daemons

Upvote 0

genestealerbroodlord

Whozawhatnow?
May 12, 2006
Scotland
✟15,980.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
I'm sure no one can guess what I play. Ok, I will tell you. Its Tyranids. But I also have Orks and Ogre Kingdoms for fantasy. I'm going to start Daemons in fantasy, once the Plaguebearers are made into plastic.

Upvote 0
S

Strix

I take it you'll be getting the new plastic trygon on the 16th of January then? I've got 2 on pre order :D If you ever check warseer.com, broodlords are now squad upgrades for genestealer squads, rather than a dedicated HQ choice, which means, if Genestealers are still troops, you can field 6 of them, as well as carnifexes in squadrons!! I'm also loving the new malinthrope model, although the pyrovore doesnt really do much for me if I'm honest.

I've been playing 40k for 15 years, and Im a massive fan, much prefer it to WHFB and LotR. I've currently got marines (20000 (yes, 20k) points), Tau (3000), Eldar (1500) and Imperial Guard (8000).

As far as black library fiction goes, I'd highly recommend the eisenhorn series, Ravenor, the Ghosts books and also the Horus Heresy series. The word bearers series (Dark apostle etc) are definitely worth a look as well. Ones to steer clear off would be anything by CS Goto (Dawn of war series, Eldar Prophesy), the grey knight omnibus and the soul drinkers (I dont know why, I just dont find ben counters writing to be any good)

If price is really an issue guys, why dont you find a club which isnt in a workshop store? Most of the clubs I've attended dont really care about you using workshop models.

some alternatives would be westwind productions, pigiron, urban mammoth, mongoose publishing and wargamesfactory.com

Choosetheright: I've got dark heresy and the new rogue traider books. Their pretty good, the only let downs being little in the way of new background and the price of the books. Thematically, the system works well and its solid, but its still career based, so if your not a fan of that, you might want to re-jig the rules slightly to better fit the system. Also, the psyker rules are insane.

Upvote 0

genestealerbroodlord

Whozawhatnow?
May 12, 2006
Scotland
✟15,980.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
I take it you'll be getting the new plastic trygon on the 16th of January then? I've got 2 on pre order :D If you ever check warseer.com, broodlords are now squad upgrades for genestealer squads, rather than a dedicated HQ choice, which means, if Genestealers are still troops, you can field 6 of them, as well as carnifexes in squadrons!! I'm also loving the new malinthrope model, although the pyrovore doesnt really do much for me if I'm honest.

I've been playing 40k for 15 years, and Im a massive fan, much prefer it to WHFB and LotR. I've currently got marines (20000 (yes, 20k) points), Tau (3000), Eldar (1500) and Imperial Guard (8000).

As far as black library fiction goes, I'd highly recommend the eisenhorn series, Ravenor, the Ghosts books and also the Horus Heresy series. The word bearers series (Dark apostle etc) are definitely worth a look as well. Ones to steer clear off would be anything by CS Goto (Dawn of war series, Eldar Prophesy), the grey knight omnibus and the soul drinkers (I dont know why, I just dont find ben counters writing to be any good)

If price is really an issue guys, why dont you find a club which isnt in a workshop store? Most of the clubs I've attended dont really care about you using workshop models.
Hi Strix: I'm on Warseer as Getifa Ubazza. I started a project log for my new Nids. I will very much be getting the new Trygon. I'm mostly quite happy with the prices. It's just the Raveners that are a bit cheeky. £27 for 3 models, while Warriors are the same size and are only £18 for 3 models. I will probably still get them, But they will be quite far down my list. I'm going to get a couple Broodlords for my Genestealer broods. I like the Pyrovore as a model, But the rules look rather bad.

Upvote 0
S

Strix

It's just the Raveners that are a bit cheeky. £27 for 3 models, while Warriors are the same size and are only £18 for 3 models.
Thats been bugging me as well mate, although the plastic is cheaper than the metal, it seems a bit of a random decision, a bit like the plastic greatswords (or goldswords if you will), although I am liking the new main claws being more shovel like.

What are you building your trygon as? I'm liking the look of the trygon prime, with synapse and enhanced shooting attack. Probably one of those and the normal trygon, im not a fan of the morloc. Do you know if old one eye is in the codex?

I might do a couple of thousand points of nids, to be honest though, I'm building a space wolf great company at the moment, so thats most of my budget gone at the start of each month.

Believe it or not, Im not actually on warseer. Will have to get signed up.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

genestealerbroodlord

Whozawhatnow?
May 12, 2006
Scotland
✟15,980.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
Thats been bugging me as well mate, although the plastic is cheaper than the metal, it seems a bit of a random decision, a bit like the plastic greatswords (or goldswords if you will), although I am liking the new main claws being more shovel like.

What are you building your trygon as? I'm liking the look of the trygon prime, with synapse and enhanced shooting attack. Probably one of those and the normal trygon, im not a fan of the morloc. Do you know if old one eye is in the codex?

I might do a couple of thousand points of nids, to be honest though, I'm building a space wolf great company at the moment, so thats most of my budget gone at the start of each month.

Believe it or not, Im not actually on warseer. Will have to get signed up.
I'm going with the Trygon Prime myself. I'm not really a fan of the Mawloc either, to be honest. Maybe its just GW's paint scheme though.

I'm going to put 2 pairs of the new Trygon talons on my Hive Tyrant. The kit comes with 5 sets, But only needs 3. From what I have read on Warseer, it would seem that the only old special in the book is Death Leaper. I expect the Mawloc is a replacement for the Red Terror and You can make Old One Eye from the plastic Carnifex kit, But don't think the rules for him are in the book. Old One Eye I mean.

I considered Space Wolves, But I think I'm still a little against them, due to them being rammed down our neck's during GW's red period. They are growing on me though, so never say never. :)

I'm looking forward to playing against them though. Should be a bloody battle with Wolves vs. Nids.

Upvote 0

genestealerbroodlord

Whozawhatnow?
May 12, 2006
Scotland
✟15,980.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
Have a look at the pic on my home page. I am a Dark Angel and my son is a Blood Angel ([bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse]).
I love that DA image, But I'm with your boy. BA were the chapter of choice when I started the hobby, so they have a special place in my hobby heart. I do prefer the DA paint scheme though. They feel more realistic to me, which I like.

Imperial Guard
Tyranids
Eldar
Minotaur Space Marines (Space Wolves)

Fantasy
High Elves
Warriors of Chaos

Oh and I'm an Outrider for GW Japan:sorry:
Cool. For some reason I thought it was only the Scandinavian countries that had outriders. I guess you learn something new everyday. :)

Upvote 0
S

Strix

I love that DA image, But I'm with your boy. BA were the chapter of choice when I started the hobby, so they have a special place in my hobby heart. I do prefer the DA paint scheme though. They feel more realistic to me, which I like.
Oh please, space wolves for the win!!! :p

Have you guys seen the new venerable dreadnought due out next month in conjunction with battle missions? It looks pretty sweet, and its only a quid more expencive than the normal dreadnought. I reckon I'll get one. I'm trying to build a tactical squad of dreadnoughts, so 7 normal, a venerable, an ironclad and the one with two of the same heavy weapon.

Upvote 0