Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I live in the high desert .... have a so-so "lawn" .... I'm not looking for a perfect manicured lawn ... but .... I have many many dandelions and a fair amount of crab grass .....

Don't mind the crab grass but would like to get rid of the dandelions.

So, I have a bag of Scotts Weed & Feed ... but scared to put it on the entire lawn ... if it kills the crab grass .... then there goes about 30% of my "lawn".

It says on the bag ... crab grass preventer ???? Went to their website ... same thing says "preventer". So ... does that mean will prevent seed from growing but won't kill an established crab grass plant?

Has anyone had any experience with this specific product and situation?

I don't want to end up with a bunch of dead spots in my lawn?

Thanks!

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Not a direct answer to your question, but my dandelion philosophy is "if you can't beat 'em, eat 'em". Every part of the dandelion is edible, and it is quite a powerful anti-microbial. You can even make wine of them. But if you've used pesticide/herbicide on the lawn in recent years then that's not safe to eat them.

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I live in the high desert .... have a so-so "lawn" .... I'm not looking for a perfect manicured lawn ... but .... I have many many dandelions and a fair amount of crab grass .....

Don't mind the crab grass but would like to get rid of the dandelions.

So, I have a bag of Scotts Weed & Feed ... but scared to put it on the entire lawn ... if it kills the crab grass .... then there goes about 30% of my "lawn".

It says on the bag ... crab grass preventer ???? Went to their website ... same thing says "preventer". So ... does that mean will prevent seed from growing but won't kill an established crab grass plant?

Has anyone had any experience with this specific product and situation?

I don't want to end up with a bunch of dead spots in my lawn?

Thanks!
Crab grass preventer will only stop NEW crab grass from germinating (sprouting). It has no effect on already established crab grass.

Also, Weed B Gone ... will just get rid of the broadleaf weeds (like dandelions) ...

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,049.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Not a direct answer to your question, but my dandelion philosophy is "if you can't beat 'em, eat 'em". Every part of the dandelion is edible, and it is quite a powerful anti-microbial. You can even make wine of them. But if you've used pesticide/herbicide on the lawn in recent years then that's not safe to eat them.

mmmmm ... I have a lot of critters that pass through my property domestic and otherwise and well .... i reckon they have "had their way with them" .... so I wouldn't consider that an option ... but thank you for the reply ;o)

• Haha
Reactions: paul1149
Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,049.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Crab grass preventer will only stop NEW crab grass from germinating (sprouting). It has no effect on already established crab grass.

Also, Weed B Gone ... will just get rid of the broadleaf weeds (like dandelions) ...

Thank you!!!! I got a small bottle of Weed B Gone yesterday .... and "spot sprayed" about 20 0r so dandelions this morning .... will see how it does.

Guess I'll put the Scotts Weed & Feed on ... although nervous .... am planning on selling my place in July and certainly don't want a dead lawn ;o)

Thank you for the reply.

Upvote 0