Apr 21, 2004
Mitaka, Tokyo, Japan
Visit site
✟15,246.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
In Relationship
:confused: Call me stupid, but I've never seen anime in America (I'm in Japan)....

I thought you guys just meant translation by "editing"...
Why is it that I read in so many posts about how American editing companies destroy anime? What do they do to it when they “edit” it?
What’s so wrong with the stuff they show on TV there?

:sorry: Just curious…

Haru

Susan

退屈させた1 つ (bored one)
Feb 16, 2002
El Cajon, California, USA
Visit site
✟15,012.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Hmm, there's various types of editing.

Editing for *advertising time* or similar things (i.e. the AS cards and promos) is the most annoying form of editing, at least to me. This includes edits like the butchering of the ending credits and opening themes to anime series, which is *really* annoying in many cases (i.e. CN's speeding up of the end themes to Cowboy Bebop and Big O) and in some cases even alters the actual ending of the anime for no reason (the TV cut of Trigun's ending, which has led to a prevalence of inane fanfic about the characters just wandering off into the desert, grrrr)

Editing for *content* is what Marth hinted at, and another common form of editing for TV. Sometimes, the edits are things that are obviously needed for American FCC regulations (i.e. cutting out the Gren turning to face Faye unclothed scene in Cowboy Bebop, cutting out certain profane words-usually the "s" word, more rarely the "f" word since it isn't there as much in the first place). Other times, the edits are pointless (i.e. the same thing that was edited or something worse was allowed elsewhere) or made to turn something "kid-friendly" (i.e. the American TV edits of Sailor Moon, Yu Gi Oh, and Ruruoni Kenshin are examples of this, where almost *everything* that could possibly be seen as "questionable" for a 7 year old gets cut out)

I can kind of understand the FCC regulations edits, although as a writer I don't really support them, and Polycarp made a good point about the kid editing in another thread, although, I really still don't like it much *shrug*

Anyway, these are the main forms of editing. . .and some anime is edited differently (whether it is worse is your opinion) than others, as I pointed out. The American TV version of Cardcaptor Sakura ("Cardcaptors") and of Sailor Moon are fine examples of absolutely terrible TV edits, while others are simply cut for FCC issues and ad time. :)

Hope that was helpful :)

Upvote 0

Lucent

For the Birds
Mar 3, 2004
Texas
✟622.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
The American TV version of Card Captor Sakura("Cardcaptors") flat out obliterated the original story. First, they started "Cardcaptors" on the original episode 7, since they wanted to make sure Syaoran was an equal partner in the whole series (to appeal to little boys). Then they made sure to not even make a single mention of Japan in the entire series, even the writing(on signs and the blackboard) was changed. After that, they kept chopping up episodes, cobbling them together with parts from two or three other episodes. They removed all hints of any romance/crushes, removed all cuteness, and killed any humor they could find.

I could put more, but I think you get the point. I would like to point out that "Cardcaptors" is an extreme case, and quite possibly the worst editing job ever done to an anime.

In most anime, all the edits in an episode put together won't be more than a minute of changed footage or cuts.

Upvote 0

Hitokiri Shadow

Apr 5, 2004
Texas
✟1,274.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Editing is (normally) the removal of potentially offensive or "inappropriate" material. For example, in America, little children shouldn't be exposed to ******s and genitalia.
So, they (the editors) digitally added bikinis to the Tenchi gals in the bathing scenes and in DBZ they added plants and other objects to cover up Goku and Gohans "naughty parts." Or sometimes, they would remove a scene (or episode) entirely.

Upvote 0

taboo

Post Fiend
Feb 18, 2004
texas
Visit site
✟1,456.00
Faith
Christian
another bad case of editing would be yugioh. they cut the entire first season because they felt it was too dark (aka the pre-card game season.. although there were duel monsters in it) -_- it really is a dark anime, but they cut alot out of it. (and the dubbing is POOO. the voice actors are recycled over and over :sick: )

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hitokiri Shadow

Apr 5, 2004
Texas
✟1,274.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I didn't mean to say that it was unrelated what-so-ever.

But calling the original series "season one" and the new series "season two" suggests that the second series is a continuation of the first. It is not. That is the point I was trying to make.

Upvote 0

nekohakase

ici pici kitten
Apr 21, 2004
Mitaka, Tokyo, Japan
Visit site
✟15,246.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Blessed-one said:
cool, does that mean you speak Japanese, neko?

Oui, je parlais japonaise. :)
I am Japanese.

But wait... if the anime is appropriate for a seven year old in Japan, why isn't appropriate for a seven year old in America? :confused:
Otherwise, I know there are genre of anime, just like there are genre of movies and books and such. "Tenchi Muyo" isn't for seven year olds. Pokemon and Yotsubato is for seven year olds. It's for 12 year olds and up. My point is, why would they edit a show for seven year olds? Why don't they just make their target audience 12-year-olds like it was meant to be in Japan? :scratch:

Haru

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Qyöt27

AMV Editor At Large
Apr 2, 2004
St. Petersburg, Florida
✟81,859.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It's a cultural thing. The stuff that might be fine for a 12-year-old by Japanese standards isn't necessarily the same as what would be deemed appropriate for a 12-year-old by American standards. Generally, if it's in animation, you can't show anyone under the age of 15: blood, use most profanities (I think 'damn' may be allowed once or twice, if it's on past 10 PM), have anything overtly suggestive, or have any sort of extremely psychological plot (that last one's just something I've noticed in what's broadcasted; there's not much in the way of psychological discussions except on an off note that may pertain to the subject at hand, it's not the point behind the series, hence the reason heavy-duty psychological anime hasn't been shown on American TV yet is really popular on DVD, since there is a lot of anime that don't get shown on TV, but still has been brought over and dubbed for American release). In addition to those things, absolutely no nudity, or any sort of crude remark or visual joke that would relate to people's body parts or bodily functions.

These are also largely the rules for non-animation, but really only if it is intended to be aimed at a 15-year-old or younger. A good portion of American prime-time series aimed at older demographics (which 15-year-olds probably watch anyway, without trouble from the media) are much grittier than what most broadcasted anime has in it, but because it's animation it has to get "cleaned up" (sadly, most Americans still view any sort of animation as a children's cartoon, and not as any-ages entertainment. The only possible exception might be Disney or Dreamworks, but they aim for family-oriented movies and whatnot, not something specifically for older teens and adults). And except for a few series early on in the large influx of anime coming to America that started in the mid-90s, the editing is kept to the TV only. DVD releases tend to be the uncensored versions.

Upvote 0

Lucent

For the Birds
Mar 3, 2004
Texas
✟622.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Qyöt27 said:
(I think 'damn' may be allowed once or twice, if it's on past 10 PM)

They did have that in Transformers: The Movie, in addition to the death of several Transformers over the course of the movie.

Qyöt27 said:
These are also largely the rules for non-animation, but really only if it is intended to be aimed at a 15-year-old or younger.

Recently, some US publishers have started to put labels such as "Suggested 15 and up" on manga titles like Negima, which have Love Hina type humor (seeing as how they are both by Mr. Akamatsu), or voilent content (like Berserk). I guess they are doing this to keep from getting parents upset.

I know were talking about anime, but it seemed relevant.

Upvote 0