catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,159,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Many may have noticed that as fall arrived Covid 19 spread rapidly accelerated most everywhere in the U.S. (and Europe also, as well covered in the news).

Vitamin D, available in supplement form (and also in multivitamins) has a number of apparent immune benefits to help improve one's odds in viral infections, and appears to help notably in cases of Covid19 also:

So, that when getting the virus you'd tend to do better if you have sufficient/adequate Vitamin D levels (meaning typically something like about 600-1000 iu/day for most people; (note that Vitamin D can be overdosed, and one should not take super high doses generally))

A lot of evidence is strongly suggestive:

Next, Masks help not only to protect other people (a good thing!), but also to protect the mask wearer, contrary to some popular misconception!

Here's how: by reducing the amount of virus one breathed in to a smaller amount -- and surprisingly (until you learn why) that actually matters a lot for getting a less severe infection.

And it's not only the proven theory, long around, about how a lower level of initial virus allows the body to win more easily/often. But this seems supported by observation also with Covid 19 also (just as theory would predict) --

" As governments and workplaces began to recommend or mandate mask wearing, my colleagues and I noticed an interesting trend. In places where most people wore masks, those who did get infected seemed dramatically less likely to get severely ill compared to places with less mask-wearing.

"It seems people get less sick if they wear a mask."

Cloth Masks Do Protect the Wearer — Breathing in Less Coronavirus Means You Get Less Sick

And:
Growing Body Of Evidence Suggests Masks Protect Those Wearing Them, Too

• Informative
Reactions: Brightmoon

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,159,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Of course if you have additional risk factors like being over 60, or significantly overweight, or other known risk increasing conditions, then of course simply taking some Vitamin D and wearing a mask shouldn't make one feel invulnerable to the level you can join large gatherings at close quarters. Those at higher risk should follow all the public health recommendations, including even things like having groceries delivered and avoiding indoor gatherings of people not in your own household and outdoor maskless crowded gatherings (people closer than 6 feet from you without a mask).

If you are older and obese, don't think that just doing 1 or 2 things is enough, but instead follow every guideline. Folks, the virus really is dangerous to many people. When voting in person, wear a tight fitting mask (or 2) that is has multiple layers (even if a tight fitting mask is uncomfortable, it's a lot less uncomfortable than struggling to breathe from severe Covid illness; some people simply should not take the risk frankly even with a mask; trust the public health guidelines).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

rayraysh

Mar 21, 2020
London
✟14,694.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
If you are suffering from a deficiency in vitamin D, and up your vitamin D to the point where you're not deficient anymore, it's possible that maybe you might possibly not suffer from COVID-19. Though you might get it anyway, and if you do get it, you might suffer anyway. But hey it's cheap, so go ahead and try it here. For me, I'll do the non-pharma route that makes the most sense: Wear a mask. Wash your hands. Social distance. Try not to touch your face. No supplements or evil pharmaceuticals needed for any of that.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,159,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If you are suffering from a deficiency in vitamin D, and up your vitamin D to the point where you're not deficient anymore, it's possible that maybe you might possibly not suffer from COVID-19. Though you might get it anyway, and if you do get it, you might suffer anyway. But hey it's cheap, so go ahead and try it. For me, I'll do the non-pharma route that makes the most sense: Wear a mask. Wash your hands. Social distance. Try not to touch your face. No supplements or evil pharmaceuticals needed for any of that.
What did you think of the video? There's so much low quality stuff in videos that finding a good quality one was actually worth watching I think. ..... If your diet is good enough to have some of those foods that contain vitamin D, you will be getting at some of what you need. Without any at all, you'd die of just whatever bug comes along sooner or later.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,159,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Just found significant, new to me, research --

"The newly discovered coronavirus had killed only a few dozen people when Feixiong Cheng started looking for a treatment. He knew time was of the essence: Cheng, a data analyst at the Cleveland Clinic, had seen similar coronaviruses tear through China and Saudi Arabia before, sickening thousands and shaking the global economy. So, in January, his lab used artificial intelligence to search for hidden clues in the structure of the virus to predict how it invaded human cells, and what might stop it. One observation stood out: The virus could potentially be blocked by melatonin.

Melatonin, best known as the sleep hormone, wasn’t an obvious factor in halting a pandemic. Its most familiar role is in the regulation of our circadian rhythms. Each night, as darkness falls, it shoots out of our brain’s pineal glands and into our blood, inducing sleep. Cheng took the finding as a curiosity. “It was very preliminary,” he told me recently—a small study in the early days before COVID-19 even had a name, when anything that might help was deemed worth sharing.

After he published his research, though, Cheng heard from scientists around the world who thought there might be something to it. They noted that, in addition to melatonin’s well-known effects on sleep, it plays a part in calibrating the immune system. Essentially, it acts as a moderator to help keep our self-protective responses from going haywire—which happens to be the basic problem that can quickly turn a mild case of COVID-19 into a life-threatening scenario.

Cheng decided to dig deeper. For months, he and colleagues pieced together the data from thousands of patients who were seen at his medical center. In results published last month, melatonin continued to stand out. People taking it had significantly lower odds of developing COVID-19, much less dying of it. Other researchers noticed similar patterns. In October, a study at Columbia University found that intubated patients had better rates of survival if they received melatonin. When President Donald Trump was flown to Walter Reed National Military Medical Center for COVID-19 treatment, his doctors prescribed—in addition to a plethora of other experimental therapies—melatonin.
He and others suggest that the real issue at play may not be melatonin at all, but the function it most famously controls: sleep....
(continues)
The Mysterious Link Between COVID-19 and Sleep

---------------

Melatonin regulates (makes function correctly) sleep, and is made by the body in response to daily sunlight hitting the skin. It is also available as a supplement.

The article also recommends:

The majority of sleep scientists, though, seem to agree that the most crucial interventions that facilitate sleep will not be medicinal, or even supplemental. The general recommendation is that getting your body’s melatonin cycles to work regularly is preferable to simply taking a supplement and continuing to binge Netflix and stare at your phone in bed. Now that so many people’s days lack structure, Shah believes a key to healthy pandemic sleep is to deliberately build routines. On weekends, wake up and go to bed at the same time as you do other days. Take scheduled walks. Get sunlight early in the day. Reduce blue light for an hour before bed. Stay connected with other people in meaningful ways, despite being physically distant.

Upvote 0