Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Why does it seem that the Bible only refers to virgins as being only women? Why does it not consider that men can be virgins?

Because a virgin woman is one who, though capable of getting pregnant and bearing a child, hasn't done so. Men can't get pregnant. IMHO it's the issue of having pregnancy, not intercourse.

But I think the previous post is more accurate.

Upvote 0

WanderedHome

Jul 26, 2019
Southern US
✟35,023.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Because a virgin woman is one who, though capable of getting pregnant and bearing a child, hasn't done so. Men can't get pregnant. IMHO it's the issue of having pregnancy, not intercourse.

But I think the previous post is more accurate.

I figured it had something to do with how we define "virgin" today and how it was defined back then.
The question came back to mind today when I was reading 1 Corinthians 7:25-38. I understand the point Paul is getting at, no need to explain, just that "virgin" is always associated with feminine pronouns. Also the case in every other part of the Bible virgins are mentioned, to my recollection.

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,461.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Why does it seem that the Bible only refers to virgins as being only women? Why does it not consider that men can be virgins?

Rev 14:4 These are they which were not defiled with women; for they are virgins. These are they which follow the Lamb whithersoever he goeth. These were redeemed from among men, being the firstfruits unto God and to the Lamb.

Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟150,483.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
And they sang a new song before the throne and before the four living creatures and the elders. No one could learn the song except the 144,000 who had been redeemed from the earth. These are those who did not defile themselves with women, for they remained virgins. They follow the Lamb wherever he goes.
Rev 14:3-4

Upvote 0

Thatgirloncfforums

Sep 28, 2021
Nowhere
✟40,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Private
I don't wish to be graphic, but a woman can be a virgin in a physical way that a man cannot. (Deut 22:17-19)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,467,220.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

it actually does, as cited by others. but it was probably more common back then to call a woman a virgin.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
upload_2022-1-6_13-19-51.gif

it actually does, as cited by others. but it was probably more common back then to call a woman a virgin.

Upvote 0