✟9,442.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Bunnaroo said:
No state has a written law forcing couples to get a license, but the unwritten rule is that a couple buys the marriage license for legal protections.
Am I reading this correct, zion34736?

Yes. You are not forced by law = more like by social convention/expectations to get a license - but then according to the state you are not married and do not get the legal benefits of marriage. Some states - like Texas have "Common law" marriages where you live together for 7 years and then are considered legally married or declare it publically such as even registering at a motel and Mr & Mrs and to part ways you have to divorce.

Without the marriage legally protected, though, you will not be able to be each other's power of attorney, heir, etc. without additional paperwork.

Upvote 0

saami

Jul 5, 2005
✟9,442.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Bunnaroo said:
Next step: What to do about all the bivocational pastors?

When you are in the pulpit do you speak as a car sales person ant try to sell cars? NO - when you are in the pulpit/doing pastoral work you are not the other. Likewise, when you are on the other job your boss is not going to appreciate you spending his time doing evangelism or counseling. In government it is not different. The government is not paying its employees to do their other job on taxpayers time.

I, by the way, am bi-vocational, too. When I am at work for a major international corporation I may be a Christian co-worker and employee being as virtuous as I can be - and as Christ-like as possible, but I am not there to be pastor zion.

Upvote 0

~ Gig ~

God is Gracious
Aug 6, 2004
Eastern Canada
✟315,811.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
That is so sad...Here in Canada(Same sex marriages are Legal) our Pastors have the fear of losing every they own, or possible jail time if they follow the word of God and refuse to marry same sex couples. And here this man is doing this....It's crazy :(

Upvote 0

Bunnaroo

"Hare Force" Intelligence
May 26, 2005
front of a computer
✟8,440.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
So, can a pastor, or any other member of the clergy, handle the legal papers for the State's records as a volunteer for the State?
It just so happens that these volunteers are specially qualified for the job, right?

Upvote 0