Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
As the divorce rate in the US would indicate, very few people at ANY age are mentally prepared for the commitment of marriage. So I'm not sure what your point is...

Divorce rates are higher among those who get married earlier.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟551,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

The decade in which Winger released “Seventeen”, Warrant released “Cherry Pie,” Ted Nugent released “Jailbait,” and just a few years after KISS released “Christine Sixteen”?

As much as I love hair metal, I think it’s best we left some of their sensibilities in the past.

Also, those Jailbait lyrics are horrendous. How is that the guy the TrumpFans adopted?

Upvote 0

RocksInMyHead

God is innocent; Noah built on a floodplain!
May 12, 2011
PA
✟317,269.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I would generally agree that most 16 or 17 year olds should not get married. However, I don't know if you saw that I posted earlier in the thread that my sister married at 17 and was married her entire senior year of high school. My parents consented to their marriage, and today, they've been happily married with three adult children for over 35 years.
That's great that your sister and her husband are happy, but what did they gain by marrying when she was 17 instead of waiting a year?

Upvote 0

BPPLEE

Apr 13, 2022
Montgomery
✟137,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The decade in which Winger released “Seventeen”, Warrant released “Cherry Pie,” Ted Nugent released “Jailbait,” and just a few years after KISS released “Christine Sixteen”?

As much as I love hair metal, I think it’s best we left some of their sensibilities in the past.

Also, those Jailbait lyrics are horrendous. How is that the guy the TrumpFans adopted?
And decades earlier there was Young Blood, Wake Up Little Suzy, When I Saw Her Standing There (she was just 17 you know what I mean) and countless others

Upvote 0

BPPLEE

Apr 13, 2022
Montgomery
✟137,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thanks. Any interest in addressing the other parts of my post?
What other parts? Why do people get married? Generally because they’re in love and they want to spend their lives together

Upvote 0

RocksInMyHead

May 12, 2011
PA
✟317,269.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
What other parts? Why do people get married? Generally because they’re in love and they want to spend their lives together
Why do you think that an exception should exist to allow people to marry before they turn 18?

Why can't two people who are in love and who want to spend their lives together wait until they are 18 to marry?

Upvote 0

BPPLEE

Apr 13, 2022
Montgomery
✟137,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Why do you think that an exception should exist to allow people to marry before they turn 18?

Why can't two people who are in love and who want to spend their lives together wait until they are 18 to marry?
What business of the government’s is it if their parents sign a waiver?

Upvote 0

RocksInMyHead

May 12, 2011
PA
✟317,269.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
The current state of affairs is that the government allows parents to sign a waiver. I'm asking why the government should permit that. What benefit does it offer the state to allow people to marry younger than 18?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BPPLEE

Apr 13, 2022
Montgomery
✟137,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The current state of affairs is that the government allows parents to sign a waiver. I'm asking why the government should permit that. What benefit does it offer the state to allow people to marry younger than 18?
So you want more government intrusion?

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟428,017.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Its the govts legit business to protect minors, in principle - even from their parents in extreme cases. Youd be hard pressed to find anyone who disagrees. The only question is at what ages and actions you draw the line.

Upvote 0

RocksInMyHead

May 12, 2011
PA
✟317,269.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
So you want more government intrusion?
That's not an answer to my question. What benefit does it offer the state to have an exception for people to marry younger than 18?

Upvote 0

BPPLEE

Apr 13, 2022
Montgomery
✟137,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Its the govts legit business to protect minors, in principle - even from their parents in extreme cases. Youd be hard pressed to find anyone who disagrees. The only question is at what ages and actions you draw the line.
I generally agree but if a minor is mature enough and their parents agree do you want to prevent them from getting married? This is not an issue I’m overly concerned about I just know people who got married younger than 18 and did fine.

Upvote 0

BPPLEE

Apr 13, 2022
Montgomery
✟137,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That's not an answer to my question. What benefit does it offer the state to have an exception for people to marry younger than 18?
Why does the state have to benefit? This is a union between two people for their benefit not the state’s. I really don’t have a dog in this fight and have said about all I have to say

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

RocksInMyHead

May 12, 2011
PA
✟317,269.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Why does the state have to benefit?
Because the state has to create an exception to the law to permit it.
This is a union between two people for their benefit not the state’s
What do those two people gain by marrying at 16 rather than 18?

Upvote 0

probinson

Legend
Aug 16, 2005
PA
Visit site
✟132,584.00
Country
United States
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That's great that your sister and her husband are happy, but what did they gain by marrying when she was 17 instead of waiting a year?

You're asking the wrong question. The question here is should the government absolutely disallow people under the age of 18 to marry. I say no. The government doesn't need to intervene in such matters.

In fact, the laws for when one can get married vary quite considerably across the 50 states.

Minimum age in 50 states:
These laws are all over the place. As mentioned earlier, there is a no-exceptions law for age of consent in California. An 18-year old having sex with a 17-year old is statutory rape. Period. But look above. California does not have a minimum age for marriage but requires parental consent. So presumably, a 17 year old and an 18 year old could get married if their parents consent. Does that mean that when they consummate their marriage, the older spouse is guilty of statutory rape? These are the kinds of idiocies you find when the government gets involved.

For those saying that it's the government's responsibility to protect minors, that doesn't really apply here. When my sister wanted to get married at age 17 (which my parents weren't thrilled about, but they ultimately allowed her to do what she wanted to do), she didn't need "protection" from anything. It's entirely possible to protect minors from sexual abuse/trafficking without encouraging government intrusion into personal matters.

• Winner
Reactions: BPPLEE
Upvote 0

probinson

Legend
Aug 16, 2005
PA
Visit site
✟132,584.00
Country
United States
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I generally agree but if a minor is mature enough and their parents agree do you want to prevent them from getting married? This is not an issue I’m overly concerned about I just know people who got married younger than 18 and did fine.

Exactly. My wife and I got married when she was one month out of high school. We were both over 18 (she had JUST turned 19 two days before our wedding and I was 21). This year we will celebrate 24-years of wedded bliss.

Now some would say, "You were over 18, so it's OK!" This mindset that you suddenly become able to make sound, rational decisions the day you turn 18 and that you are wholly incapable of this until your 18th birthday is odd.

To repeat, my wife had been out of high school for a month when we got married. The hotel wouldn't even let me make the reservation for our wedding night without talking to our parents first.

I've known 16-year olds that are more mature and rational than 50-year olds. Age is nothing but a number.

Should everyone get married at 16? Of course not. But I just don't understand why other people even care, and some so passionately that they want to make it illegal.

Reactions: BPPLEE
Upvote 0

rturner76

Domine non-sum dignus
Supporter
May 10, 2011
Twin Cities
✟725,021.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Why do people get married? Generally because they’re in love and they want to spend their lives together
EIther that or ot's old men who want to purchase children. Why defend that practice?

Upvote 0