Virginia mayor urged to resign after making Aunt Jemima comment about Biden picking Harris

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,670,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
From the article.
Mayor Barry Presgraves said 'hell no' he won't resign

The mayor of a small town in Virginia is being urged to resign following a Facebook post in which he claimed Democratic presidential candidate Joe Biden"just announced Aunt Jemima" as his running mate.

Luray Mayor Barry Presgraves made the comment last weekend and has since faced a bitter backlash from the Luray Town Council as well as other residents who characterized his post as racist.

Presgraves has since taken down his post and on Monday apologized at a town council meeting.

"I understand what I posted on social media was wrong, offensive and unbecoming," Presgraves said.

Reading from a prepared statement he added, "I also want to make a direct apology to all people of color and women. Passing off demeaning and worn out racial stereotypes as humor isn't funny."

Continued below.
Virginia mayor urged to resign after making Aunt Jemima comment about Biden picking Harris

Sparagmos

Oct 19, 2018
Portland, Oregon
✟278,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
"I (ain't je m[a]ma), go ask her."
That’s nonsensical. You said it was a funny joke. I’m asking you what you found funny. I don’t even get what the joke is. What does Kamala Harris have to do with Aunt Jemima?

• Agree
Reactions: Tigger45
Upvote 0

Xenophon

Jul 16, 2020
Smithfield
✟17,906.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
That’s nonsensical. You said it was a funny joke. I’m asking you what you found funny. I don’t even get what the joke is. What does Kamala Harris have to do with Aunt Jemima?

Well, that's your problem, lol. It appears you don't get jokes and explanations don't create humour.

• Agree
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

Sparagmos

Oct 19, 2018
Portland, Oregon
✟278,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Well, that's your problem, lol. It appears you don't get jokes and explanations don't create humour.
It’s not a problem. But clearly you are refusing to explain the humor because it may reveal something you don’t want revealed. I don’t think it’s a joke at all, it’s simply a racist insult.

• Agree
Reactions: john23237
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Xenophon

Jul 16, 2020
Smithfield
✟17,906.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
It’s not a problem. But clearly you are refusing to explain the humor because it may reveal something you don’t want revealed. I don’t think it’s a joke at all, it’s simply a racist insult.

So, when my black coworker comes to me with this story, saying the mayor's joke is funny, then she's a racist? Black people who get the humor are uncle toms or something?

That's how I learned about this. And as said in other threads, my family is mixed - you think I hate my family? I spent years of my childhood in Africa - you think I hate my childhood friends? You think I'm an uncle tom?

Nobody in my life thinks it's a racist insult. It's your own paradigm - it's the worldview you choose to put yourself in - the Spirit which Proudhon invoked - the Spirit of Revolution.

You want to reveal who that Spirit is? - for everyone here. Because Proudhon did.

Upvote 0

Redwingfan9

Jul 23, 2019
Midwest
✟70,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
From the article.
Mayor Barry Presgraves said 'hell no' he won't resign

The mayor of a small town in Virginia is being urged to resign following a Facebook post in which he claimed Democratic presidential candidate Joe Biden"just announced Aunt Jemima" as his running mate.

Luray Mayor Barry Presgraves made the comment last weekend and has since faced a bitter backlash from the Luray Town Council as well as other residents who characterized his post as racist.

Presgraves has since taken down his post and on Monday apologized at a town council meeting.

"I understand what I posted on social media was wrong, offensive and unbecoming," Presgraves said.

Reading from a prepared statement he added, "I also want to make a direct apology to all people of color and women. Passing off demeaning and worn out racial stereotypes as humor isn't funny."

Continued below.
If this is one of the worst examples of racism on offer, I dare say racism is not a problem in America.

Upvote 0

Sparagmos

Oct 19, 2018
Portland, Oregon
✟278,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
So, when my black coworker comes to me with this story, saying the mayor's joke is funny, then she's a racist? Black people who get the humor are uncle toms or something?

That's how I learned about this. And as said in other threads, my family is mixed - you think I hate my family? I spent years of my childhood in Africa - you think I hate my childhood friends? You think I'm an uncle tom?

Nobody in my life thinks it's a racist insult. It's your own paradigm - it's the worldview you choose to put yourself in - the Spirit which Proudhon invoked - the Spirit of Revolution.

You want to reveal who that Spirit is? - for everyone here. Because Proudhon did.
I think you skipped the part where you explained the joke.

Upvote 0

civilwarbuff

Site Supporter
May 28, 2015
✟614,057.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
it’s simply a racist insult.
I don't see what is racist about it. Aunt Jemima is more well known and liked than Harris. If anything it might be considered a put down of Aunt Jemima....she should be outraged if anyone is......

Upvote 0

Sparagmos

Oct 19, 2018
Portland, Oregon
✟278,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I don't see what is racist about it. Aunt Jemima is more well known and liked than Harris. If anything it might be considered a put down of Aunt Jemima....she should be outraged if anyone is......
Maybe you can explain the joke to me then?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Xenophon

Jul 16, 2020
Smithfield
✟17,906.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Maybe you can explain the joke to me then?

Because considering the climate, of which you a part of, that anyone whose such a goofball to a lame joke like that, that people would call for a resignation over a lame joke, and then his "Hell, no!" response is about as hilarious at the interpersonal level. And the fact that you are all "I need an explanation. Isn't everyone a closet racist." is simply hilarious - because you don't get human interaction and how it produces humor - everything is just injustice and social commentary for you, and so the joke just keeps on snowballing and becoming more funny.

And if you've got a problem with it, well then I think you deny humanity itself and I don't really want to discuss it with you.

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟691,408.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

It's funny because it's her minority status that caused her to be picked as running mate in the first place. Not because she has talent, but because she has a vagina and has brown enough skin to pass the radical smell test.

So yes, it's funny... you'd think it was funny too if the shoe was on the other foot... when race and sex is all that matters, it's fodder for wannabe comedians.

Upvote 0

Sparagmos

Oct 19, 2018
Portland, Oregon
✟278,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Because considering the climate, of which you a part of, that anyone whose such a goofball to a lame joke like that, that people would call for a resignation over a lame joke, and then his "Hell, no!" response is about as hilarious at the interpersonal level. And the fact that you are all "I need an explanation. Isn't everyone a closet racist." is simply hilarious - because you don't get human interaction and how it produces humor - everything is just injustice and social commentary for you, and so the joke just keeps on snowballing and becoming more funny.

And if you've got a problem with it, well then I think you deny humanity itself and I don't really want to discuss it with you.
Don’t misquote me. I can’t make any sense of your grammar. You can’t explain the humor because it isn’t a joke.

Upvote 0

Sparagmos

Oct 19, 2018
Portland, Oregon
✟278,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It's funny because it's her minority status that caused her to be picked as running mate in the first place. Not because she has talent, but because she has a vagina and has brown enough skin to pass the radical smell test.

So yes, it's funny... you'd think it was funny too if the shoe was on the other foot... when race and sex is all that matters, it's fodder for wannabe comedians.
What does that have to do with aunt jemima? The joke is about her minority status?

Upvote 0