Virginia AG says state bound by California rule phasing out new gas-powered cars

atpollard

Jun 18, 2017
Florida
✟116,285.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The number of birds killed by wind turbines is neglible compared to the deaths caused by cats, windows and other human factors.
Weekly data: How many birds are really killed by wind turbines?
“Of course, simply looking at the total number of birds killed fails to acknowledge that particular species may be disproportionately affected. Studies have shown it is often larger birds of prey, of which there are fewer in an ecosystem, that are more likely to fly into blades. The Royal Society for the Protection of Birds, a UK charity, warned at the start of 2021 that new offshore wind developments in the North Seathreatened one particular seagull, the kittiwake, as they headed to their feeding grounds.”​

… as I said, WIND POWER vs PROTECTED SPECIES may prove an interesting argument in a court.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,833.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
“Of course, simply looking at the total number of birds killed fails to acknowledge that particular species may be disproportionately affected. Studies have shown it is often larger birds of prey, of which there are fewer in an ecosystem, that are more likely to fly into blades. The Royal Society for the Protection of Birds, a UK charity, warned at the start of 2021 that new offshore wind developments in the North Seathreatened one particular seagull, the kittiwake, as they headed to their feeding grounds.”​

… as I said, WIND POWER vs PROTECTED SPECIES may prove an interesting argument in a court.
Good job cutting that quote off at the point where it no longer supports the interests of the fossil fuel industry.

Upvote 0

atpollard

Jun 18, 2017
Florida
✟116,285.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
By the way, good job on also multiplying the message of the fossil fuel industry. Are you being paid or are you doing volunteer work?
I support nuclear power for base load generation and Solar for the daytime Peak Load (generation approximates the demand curve).

Fossil Fuel is OK if they invest in the technology to scrub the emissions (which few do) but by then the cost advantage is gone.

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟143,389.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
as I said, WIND POWER vs PROTECTED SPECIES may prove an interesting argument in a court.
A decision including the sentiment of “while we will likely miss the instant species…” seems likely.

Upvote 0

atpollard

Jun 18, 2017
Florida
✟116,285.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
  • Friendly
Reactions: Tinker Grey
Upvote 0

atpollard

Jun 18, 2017
Florida
✟116,285.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A decision including the sentiment of “while we will likely miss the instant species…” seems likely.
I live in a community that needs 6 additional lanes to meet the emergency evacuation demand capacity for east bound roadways from the west coast of Florida in the event of a hurricane. The Audubon Society halted construction of a 4 lane highway that was part of that desperately needed life-safety evacuation system for over 10 years as the case dragged through court of the relative merit of crossing a wetland vs protecting the migratory nesting area of birds.

I merely posit that TRANSPORTATION is not the only industry vulnerable to an Audubon Lawsuit.

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟143,389.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
I live in a community that needs 6 additional lanes to meet the emergency evacuation demand capacity for east bound roadways from the west coast of Florida in the event of a hurricane.
I will (of course) defer to your superior knowledge of what it is that you’re speaking about but are not “westbound” lanes available during such a time for use for evacuations?
(How much westbound traffic would there be?)

Upvote 0

Paulos23

Never tell me the odds!
Mar 23, 2005
Washington State
✟311,876.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

There is a possible solution out of the Netherlands. Painting one blade black cuts down on bird strikes by 70%.

Research into the effect of black blade in wind turbine - Vattenfall.

Upvote 0

Aryeh Jay

Gone and hopefully forgotten.
Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟520,644.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

atpollard

Jun 18, 2017
Florida
✟116,285.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I will (of course) defer to your superior knowledge of what it is that you’re speaking about but are not “westbound” lanes available during such a time for use for evacuations?
(How much westbound traffic would there be?)
That was a need for 6 more lanes WITH reversing the flow on all existing highway lanes.

Highway networks are not sized for EVERYBODY needing to use them at the same time, so Hurricane evacuations create a problem.

The issue becomes critical in places like the Florida Keys where it is physically impractical to widen miles and miles of bridges connecting a chain of islands.

• Informative
Reactions: Pommer
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums