malmö
✟9,951.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
"Killing and destruction are referenced slightly more often in the New Testament (2.8%) than in the Quran (2.1%), but the Old Testament clearly leads—more than twice that of the Quran—in mentions of destruction and killing (5.3%)."

Someone analysed the Bible and Quran to see which is more violent

I hope this fact can cure islamophobia.

Oct 21, 2003
Central Time Zone
✟107,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The Quran is one scroll attributed to one author (who could not read or write), the "Bible" is comprised of sixty-six scrolls with around forty authors. The Church recognized the canon of Scripture, before the Quran came into existence. I doubt these facts were figured into the percentages. An assessment of such would make author by author comparisons, and further take into consideration the contexts for said violence. Good day!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Just like trying to cure air-phobia (non-issue, made up, facetious or mis-directed)...
See in the BIBLE what (and who) YHVH hates, and what and who YHVH loves.
This is what is more important than man's opinions.
YHVH'S WAY is described clearly in HIS WORD.
Seek YHVH'S WAY for LIFE, SALVATION, HOPE, and PEACE AND JOY.

Upvote 0

TuxAme

Quis ut Deus?
Site Supporter
Dec 16, 2017
Ohio
✟191,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
A phobia is an irrational fear of something, isn't it? If your fear is justified, then it's not a phobia. Just keep that in mind. Also:

How much of the Bible is a record of violence (the Jews conquered this part of the Holy Land at this time) versus an open call to violence? Use this same measurement for the Quran. I think we'd see an interesting (to say the least) change.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Notice that the article says that there are more references to violence, that it is more violent, and every other way that it might be possible to count mentions of violence WITHOUT saying that the Bible approves of violence more than the Koran--because that would be incorrect to say, and everyone on all sides knows that it would be.

• Agree
Reactions: danbuter
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DominicBaptiste

Oct 16, 2017
North Alabama
✟21,144.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
"Killing and destruction are referenced slightly more often in the New Testament (2.8%) than in the Quran (2.1%), but the Old Testament clearly leads—more than twice that of the Quran—in mentions of destruction and killing (5.3%)."

Someone analysed the Bible and Quran to see which is more violent

I'm not sure what to think of Islam at this point in life. I read an article that said Queen Elizabeth is descended from the Prophet Muhammed through some relation to the Spanish nobility, and I think she has good relations with Muslims in Britain. I've personally been on an interfaith visit to an Islamic prayer service in recent years in Alabama. Also, my dad and some friends of mine read Sufi books, mostly poetry. Sufism falls under Islam. Having said that, I'm not a Muslim. I usually get along just fine with the Muslims I've met, but I am a baptized, Jesus believing Christian. I think there are integration problems because of religion, especially in some places. There have been so many Muslims arrive in Germany recently that people have become alarmed at the changing demographics in some areas. I think there are probably places all over Europe like that, and many people in Europe and even in the USA think of society as being purposefully Christian. The US doesn't have an established religion, but the country is more religous and Christian than many places in Europe. Germany has two official churches, the Roman Catholic Church and the Lutheran / Protestant church. They both receive tax money from German citizens who are affiliated with them. There are also baptist communities in Germany, but they are called "sects," and don't get tax money. They take up offerings like in the US. I think there has been violence in Germany against Muslims, and the reverse is also true. It probably would be better to have less Islamic immigration to Christian majority countries, mostly because I think it isn't good for social stability. But I think some immigration is ok. It's hard to keep a sense of community and maintain peace when too many people come at one time.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

jovanovic

Jun 13, 2017
malmö
✟9,951.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
where in the new testament is violence against others advocated?

Jesus recommends that to avoid sin we cut off our hands and pluck out our eyes. This advice is given immediately after he says that anyone who looks with lust at any women commits adultery. 5:29-30

Jesus sends some devils into a herd of pigs, causing them to run off a cliff and drown in the waters below. 8:32

Families will be torn apart because of Jesus (this is one of the few "prophecies" in the Bible that has actually come true). "Brother shall deliver up the brother to death, and the father the child: and the children shall rise up against their parents, and cause them to be put to death."10:21

Jesus says that he has come to destroy families by making family members hate each other. He has "come not to send peace, but a sword." 10:34-36

Jesus condemns entire cities to dreadful deaths and to the eternal torment of hell because they didn't care for his preaching. 11:20-24

Jesus is criticized by the Pharisees for not washing his hands before eating. He defends himself by attacking them for not killing disobedient children according to the commandment: "He that curseth father or mother, let him die the death." (See Ex 21:15, Lev 20:9, Dt 21:18-21) So, does Jesus think that children who curse their parents should be killed? It sure sounds like it. 15:4-7

In the parable of the unforgiving servant, the king threatens to enslave a man and his entire family to pay for a debt. This practice, which was common at the time, seems not to have bothered Jesus very much. The parable ends with this: "So likewise shall my heavenly Father do also unto you." If you are cruel to others, God will be cruel to you. 18:23-35

Jesus explains why he speaks in parables: to confuse people so they will go to hell. 4:11-12

Jesus criticizes the Jews for not killing their disobedient children as required by Old Testament law. (See Ex 21:15, Lev 20:9, Dt 21:18-21) 7:9-10

Peter claims that Dt 18:18-19 refers to Jesus, saying that those who refuse to follow him (all non-Christians) must be killed. 3:23

The author of Acts talks about the "sure mercies of David." But David was anything but merciful. For an example of his behavior see 2 Sam 12:31and 1 Chr 20:3, where he saws, hacks, and burns to death the inhabitants of several cities. 13:34

Homosexuals (those "without natural affection") and their supporters (those "that have pleasure in them") are "worthy of death" - - along with gossips, boasters, and disobedient children. 1:31-32

James says Abraham was justified by works (for being willing to kill his son for God); Paul (Romans 4:2-3) says he was justified by faith (for believing that God would order him to do such an evil act)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

dreadnought

Lip service isn't really service.
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Jesus recommends that to avoid sin we cut off our hands and pluck out our eyes. This advice is given immediately after he says that anyone who looks with lust at any women commits adultery. 5:29-30

Jesus sends some devils into a herd of pigs, causing them to run off a cliff and drown in the waters below. 8:32

Families will be torn apart because of Jesus (this is one of the few "prophecies" in the Bible that has actually come true). "Brother shall deliver up the brother to death, and the father the child: and the children shall rise up against their parents, and cause them to be put to death."10:21

Jesus says that he has come to destroy families by making family members hate each other. He has "come not to send peace, but a sword." 10:34-36
Jesus may be said to have caused the death of pigs who had been taken over by demons. That doesn't sound like violence against children and non-Christians as has been mentioned. I suppose that pigs might be considered to be non-Christians, and I am willing to believe that piglets might have been involved.

With most of the others you have violence predicted or mentioned, but without Jesus advocating it.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: TuxAme
Upvote 0

DominicBaptiste

Oct 16, 2017
North Alabama
✟21,144.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Sufism is mystic Islam, and I think it's supposed to be more moderate and maybe less associated with violence than some other strands of Islam. These are Sufi poems by Rumi: Poems by Rumi
And the video below is supposed to be Sufi music with Istanbul in the background in the picture.

Upvote 0

TuxAme

Quis ut Deus?
Site Supporter
Dec 16, 2017
Ohio
✟191,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
o_O Really?

Jesus recommends that to avoid sin we cut off our hands and pluck out our eyes. This advice is given immediately after he says that anyone who looks with lust at any women commits adultery. That's called hyperbole.

Jesus sends some devils into a herd of pigs, causing them to run off a cliff and drown in the waters below. Animals don't count.

Families will be torn apart because of Jesus (this is one of the few "prophecies" in the Bible that has actually come true). "Brother shall deliver up the brother to death, and the father the child: and the children shall rise up against their parents, and cause them to be put to death." Jesus says what will happen, not that He desires it.

Jesus says that he has come to destroy families by making family members hate each other. He has "come not to send peace, but a sword." Divisions within families is an unfortunate result of being faithful to Jesus' word. Not everyone is receptive to His word- some would rather follow the world- still not seeing the violence that you supposedly do.

Jesus condemns entire cities to dreadful deaths and to the eternal torment of hell because they didn't care for his preaching. If you don't want to obey Jesus in this life, why would you want to spend eternity with Him? And why would God reward those who rebel against Him?

So, does Jesus think that children who curse their parents should be killed? It sure sounds like it. I challenge you to prove that this is what He thought. Perhaps an instance where He actually killed someone? If Jesus is this violent guy as you would have us believe, it should be no trouble.

If you are cruel to others, God will be cruel to you. "And the Lord said, "I will reward you for your evil deeds- but if you ever do good, it would be better for you if you had never been born at all". Would you rather have us follow this "Jesus"?

I can't be bothered to go on. You call yourself a Christian, but believe that Jesus is this evil guy- yet, have no criticism of Muhammad or the religion he started, despite the fact that it sounds exactly like the Jesus you depict:

“As to those who reject faith, I will punish them with terrible agony in this world and in the Hereafter, nor will they have anyone to help.” – Quran 3:56

Upvote 0

jovanovic

Jun 13, 2017
malmö
✟9,951.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
o_O Really?

Jesus recommends that to avoid sin we cut off our hands and pluck out our eyes. This advice is given immediately after he says that anyone who looks with lust at any women commits adultery. That's called hyperbole.

Jesus sends some devils into a herd of pigs, causing them to run off a cliff and drown in the waters below. Animals don't count.

Families will be torn apart because of Jesus (this is one of the few "prophecies" in the Bible that has actually come true). "Brother shall deliver up the brother to death, and the father the child: and the children shall rise up against their parents, and cause them to be put to death." Jesus says what will happen, not that He desires it.

Jesus says that he has come to destroy families by making family members hate each other. He has "come not to send peace, but a sword." Divisions within families is an unfortunate result of being faithful to Jesus' word. Not everyone is receptive to His word- some would rather follow the world- still not seeing the violence that you supposedly do.

Jesus condemns entire cities to dreadful deaths and to the eternal torment of hell because they didn't care for his preaching. If you don't want to obey Jesus in this life, why would you want to spend eternity with Him? And why would God reward those who rebel against Him?

So, does Jesus think that children who curse their parents should be killed? It sure sounds like it. I challenge you to prove that this is what He thought. Perhaps an instance where He actually killed someone? If Jesus is this violent guy as you would have us believe, it should be no trouble.

If you are cruel to others, God will be cruel to you. "And the Lord said, "I will reward you for your evil deeds- but if you ever do good, it would be better for you if you had never been born at all". Would you rather have us follow this "Jesus"?

I can't be bothered to go on. You call yourself a Christian, but believe that Jesus is this evil guy- yet, have no criticism of Muhammad or the religion he started, despite the fact that it sounds exactly like the Jesus you depict:

“As to those who reject faith, I will punish them with terrible agony in this world and in the Hereafter, nor will they have anyone to help.” – Quran 3:56

Jesus criticizes the Jews for not killing their disobedient children as required by Old Testament law. (See Ex 21:15, Lev 20:9, Dt 21:18-21) 7:9-10

Luke 19.27

And these enemies of minewho were unwilling for me to rule overthem, bring them here and slay them in front of me.’”

I have studied islam and i see no reason to be critical about it, its indeed the religion of peace.

Reactions: Godistruth1
Upvote 0