✟830,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
'A train wreck': Veterans haven't receive GI Bill benefits for months

The Department of Veterans Affairs is suffering from a series of information technology glitches that has caused GI Bill benefit payments covering education and housing to be delayed or — in the case of Roundtree — never be delivered.

While it is unclear how many GI Bill recipients were impacted by the delays, as of Nov. 8, more than 82,000 are still waiting for their housing payments with only weeks remaining in the school semester, according to VA. Hundreds of thousands are believed to have been affected.

"This is — to be kind — a train wreck," said Rep. Phil Roe, R-Tenn., the chairman of the House Committee on Veterans Affairs. "It's really frustrating the amount of money that Congress has appropriated for veterans, and this is the way VA has rolled it out. This discussion started over a year ago."

At the July 17, 2017, hearing in the House Committee on Veterans Affairs — before the bill was passed into law — Deputy Under Secretary for Economic Opportunity Curtis Coy highlighted this as his core worry in response to one of the few questions asked during the hearing.

"My biggest concern is two words: IT," said Coy at the time. "We have an IT system in much or almost all of these sections that requires some degree of changes."

After Coy retired earlier this year, VA cut his position and the Office of Economic Opportunity. Multiple Veteran Service Organizations said the loss of this role, as well as the office, meant that there was no one left at VA to communicate the issues to veterans or to lobby higher-ups about the GI Bill issues.

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Its amazing how Obama withholds their money nearly two years after leaving office.

It just goes to show how deep his hatred of all that is good and righteous goes.

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Its amazing how Obama withholds their money nearly two years after leaving office.
He is a wizard and time traveler. I still haven’t forgiven him for invading Iraq.

Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,731.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I don't know how well oiled a machine the VA was back in the 1950s, but nearly 8,000,000 veterans had received benefits by 1956 and that was pre-compter era. Why is fixing this organization taking so long?

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
He is a wizard and time traveler. I still haven’t forgiven him for invading Iraq.

Obama likes Harry Potter and Dr. Who? I always knew he was behind invading Iraq. He must have removed all of those WMDs before he send the troops in. Man, Obama has been really busy.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
This President has HUGH respect for those that served while he did not.

Well, he was going to enlist.... but it was raining that day.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It was very wet that season.
:ebil:The bone spurs were a ruse. He secretly served in the White Berets, a super really elite white ops unit stationed in the Me King Kong Delta.

Upvote 0