Alabama
✟8,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
In all of high school I never considered that I might not be good at what I planned to do in college. I decided at around 16 that I wanted to be a doctor. So I applied for the biggest STEM school in my state as a pre-med neuroscience major. However, after my first year at this school, I've realized that this might not be the path for me. I want to be a doctor so badly, but I've done very poorly in my premed classes (three Cs) , all with the knowledge that my courses will only get harder from here. What takes my classmates an hour to understand, takes me five. I am not inclined or gifted in my science/premed courses (chemistry, labs, maths, etc) even a little bit, no part of me even enjoys learning about science. But I know that these are really just the classes I have to take to get into medical school, but I'm feeling more lost than ever at the concept that right now, I have no idea what I'm supposed to be doing.

As a result of this I've began considering other options, and things I would be good at. People keep telling me that I'll excel the most at life with doing things I'm good at and generally enjoy. My favorite job I've ever had was at my town's elementary school, I love children and are very naturally gifted with them. However, I feel like I'd be an awful teacher. Additionally, I love reading and writing, and have always excelled in English courses. I have no idea what to do with this though, in an ideal world I could be a book editor, but I know that's not at all realistic. I've trapped myself in a pre-med trap and after a year of trying to convince myself I liked science and math and that if I just worked really hard I would enjoy it, I haven't. In fact, I kind of hate it. All I wanted was to be a doctor, to help people, but at this point I feel like it's all out of reach.

At the end of the day, I just want to have a career that will allow me to be able to take time away to be able to take care of children and a family, or I can at least go back to once my children grow up. However, I know I can't just plan on being a stay at home mom, and that having a good education and job to fall back on is crucial to supporting my life and the family I want someday.

I'll take any advice. Thank you!

dqhall

Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You might try to be nurse. An LPN license is less difficult and may be done in less than two years. From there you might be able to upgrade to RN, if you like the work. A teaching degree takes five years. My cousin was English major, but went for a law degree after that. Both her parents were attorneys. Her son got a PHD in geology.

• Informative
Reactions: Lexie Grey
Upvote 0

Lexie Grey

May 3, 2018
Alabama
✟8,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
You might try to be nurse. An LPN license is less difficult and may be done in less than two years. From there you might be able to upgrade to RN, if you like the work. A teaching degree takes five years. My cousin was English major, but went for a law degree after that. Both her parents were attorneys. Her son got a PHD in geology.

I've definitely thought about becoming a nurse, I just wish I had more of an inside to whether or not I would like it.

Upvote 0

Dropout_Theologian

Not an ant in God's glorious library.
Supporter
Feb 19, 2018
Southern United States
✟64,537.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I mean, if you want to help people, you can certainly do that at elementary level to an extent, plus you like being there with the kids. If you have some time, maybe watch this video?

Lessons from death row inmates

A lot of people could use a caring role model as a kid

Upvote 0

dqhall

Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I've definitely thought about becoming a nurse, I just wish I had more of an inside to whether or not I would like it.
Some worked summer jobs as interns in fields related to their majors. People working as home health care aides or with CNA licenses found work without much education required. Some of these positions require heavy lifting. It is work and not everyone finds it pleasant. I suppose the higher the level of certification, the greater the potential reward. I dated a retired LPN who had to go back to work after her husband died in an auto accident. She found work as a home health care aide working an evening shift while being at home for her children days. She was fortunate to be caring for someone who was able to walk and did not need to be lifted.

A relative of mine had to get a CNA license and work in a nursing home while waiting for the next session of university classes.

Upvote 0

Brightmoon

Apes and humans are all in family Hominidae.
Mar 2, 2018
NYC
✟151,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
You asked the right person . I was terrible at arithmetic in elementary school, jr high school, and middle school . I’ve got a biology degree. Science is a lot of math. I had to take calculus and I’d already barely got a D in algebra in high school ( one less point and I would have failed) . I started out with biology because it didn’t require a lot of math at first. I got tutoring in algebra . And calculus is actually easier than algebra (that was a surprise) . I still can’t do arithmetic but that’s what calculators are for .
If you need help get it.

Upvote 0