• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

jacks

Er Victus
Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2010
Northwest US
✟675,211.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Praying for you. Something that helps me a bit is listening to Christian music. On Youtube you can get hours of non stop music like THIS. One hopeful thing I've learned is that depression (like most things) doesn't last. Also don't add the burden of thinking your depression is a "sin". Our Lord wants you to be happy, he doesn't condemn you when you aren't.

Upvote 0

IWalkAlone

Oct 26, 2021
Ohio
✟11,916.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Was he depressed or just sad? I was taught that depression is a sin because it is essentially despairing or having a lack of faith.
Depression is not a sin. Depression is sadness. The apostles despaired of life, it was a lesson to them to rely on God. Why would God lead them to sin? When has he ever done that?

Upvote 0

Thatgirloncfforums

Sep 28, 2021
Nowhere
✟40,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Private
I hope so, it's been almost a year now, 8 months since it got really bad.
Praying for you. Something that helps me a bit is listening to Christian music. On Youtube you can get hours of non stop music like THIS. One hopeful thing I've learned is that depression (like most things) doesn't last. Also don't add the burden of thinking your depression is a "sin". Our Lord wants you to be happy, he doesn't condemn you when you aren't.

Upvote 0

Thatgirloncfforums

Sep 28, 2021
Nowhere
✟40,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Private
Was the despair emotional though?
Depression is not a sin. Depression is sadness. The apostles despaired of life, it was a lesson to them to rely on God. Why would God lead them to sin? When has he ever done that?

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm sorry that you are experiencing this. Yes, I lost a lot of friends to the pandemic, not that they died but our friendship didn't survive the stress or at least, that's the way it seems to me. I live in the dark now alone, except for my cat, who I love very much. I am surrounded by people but am unreachable.
Part of what split me from my friends was all the political and cultural drama. They are warriors, I am not. I tried to be but messed up royally. I couldn't crusade like they were able. So, I definitely understand that aspect too.
So ... some people are really kind of out on a limb about politics right now. Give it some time ... they will slowly come back to their senses. Don't try to be a warrior. And tell people who try to insist that you get into it with them ... that you've had about all of that you can stand for right now.

Look for other people who seem to have transcended all of the fracas. There are people out there ... who haven't succumbed to the madness right now. We all need to find one another and hold each other up.

I'm just blue-skying right now, ... but spend some time in a library. There are usually kind and conscientious people there. Or maybe participate in some organized nature hikes with others. What you are looking for are people who have not lost themselves in today's politics (i.e. they have other interests).

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thank you. I try to stay very active. I volunteered to be the secretary at my church and go to church activities. I immerse myself in books and videos and live on C. Forums. Anything to keep myself from spiralling. But sometimes the pain gets to be too much.
So, ... I'm just trying to think of other things that help to get me through.

Get yourself a little something every now and then. I do a little online shopping, ... and the promise of something coming for me to enjoy helps a bit. Also, you'll get tons of catalogs related to your areas of interest to page through and be inspired.

Don't let your living space be dark. The holiday season is approaching ... brighten it up with lights and decor that works for you. Wander through retail shops looking for things that are inspiring, interesting, and refreshing.

You might also be interested in the ministry of Joyce Meyer. She has stayed above and out of the political fray ... and ministers particularly to how to get through the struggles of life. She has a daily television program ... and has written tons of books.

Finally, you might be uplifted by a study of the life of Jesus. Take a look at Matthew, Mark, Luke, and/or John to witness a truly inspirational life ... lived amidst the tumult and turmoils of politics and persecution and strife of His day. Jesus (obviously) lived victoriously in His commitment to making others' lives better. He may just be the inspiration you need right now.

But these are just ideas that have worked (at various times) for me. I pray that something said ... or prayed will soon be a benefit for you ...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

IWalkAlone

Oct 26, 2021
Ohio
✟11,916.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Are sorrow and grief emotional?
The apostles despaired of life. That doesn't sound like a sin, as a matter of fact their faith was tested and grew through the hardship. God didn't tell them they sinned or lacked faith, he instead grew their faith.

Upvote 0

Thatgirloncfforums

Sep 28, 2021
Nowhere
✟40,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Private
The apostles despaired of life. That doesn't sound like a sin, as a matter of fact their faith was tested and grew through the hardship. God didn't tell them they sinned or lacked faith, he instead grew their faith.
I always took this as them thinking they wouldn't survive, not that they were depressed that they wouldn't. Why would Paul say, 'It is better to be away from the body and at home with the Lord'?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Thatgirloncfforums

Sep 28, 2021
Nowhere
✟40,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Private
Thank you. I don't have much money rn for extra things, but will look into Joyce Meyer. I don't live in the literal dark. I live a very active life, but the lights are turned off inside me.
So, ... I'm just trying to think of other things that help to get me through.

Get yourself a little something every now and then. I do a little online shopping, ... and the promise of something coming for me to enjoy helps a bit. Also, you'll get tons of catalogs related to your areas of interest to page through and be inspired.

Don't let your living space be dark. The holiday season is approaching ... brighten it up with lights and decor that works for you. Wander through retail shops looking for things that are inspiring, interesting, and refreshing.

You might also be interested in the ministry of Joyce Meyer. She has stayed above and out of the political fray ... and ministers particularly to how to get through the struggles of life. She has a daily television program ... and has written tons of books.

Finally, you might be uplifted by a study of the life of Jesus. Take a look at Matthew, Mark, Luke, and/or John to witness a truly inspirational life ... lived amidst the tumult and turmoils of politics and persecution and strife of His day. Jesus (obviously) lived victoriously in His commitment to making others' lives better. He may just be the inspiration you need right now.

But these are just ideas that have worked (at various times) for me. I pray that something said ... or prayed will soon be a benefit for you ...

Upvote 0

Thatgirloncfforums

Sep 28, 2021
Nowhere
✟40,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Private
So ... some people are really kind of out on a limb about politics right now. Give it some time ... they will slowly come back to their senses. Don't try to be a warrior. And tell people who try to insist that you get into it with them ... that you've had about all of that you can stand for right now.
I tried to tell my former friends. One told me, 'You're better than this' and 'You ought to take these engagements seriously'. The other, cursed at me, told me that they didn't like me and left me. This was after this person heckled me because I wouldn't engage this person's apologetic 'banter'. They consider themselves culture warriors and are trying to train others how to engage cultural-political opponents on the net. That seemed to be more important than our friendship. The worse part about it is, other than breaking off our friendship, was that they consigned all manner of sin to me.

Look for other people who seem to have transcended all of the fracas. There are people out there ... who haven't succumbed to the madness right now. We all need to find one another and hold each other up.
Yes we do.

I'm just blue-skying right now, ... but spend some time in a library. There are usually kind and conscientious people there. Or maybe participate in some organized nature hikes with others. What you are looking for are people who have not lost themselves in today's politics (i.e. they have other interests).
Thanks, I'm trying.

Upvote 0

IWalkAlone

Oct 26, 2021
Ohio
✟11,916.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Psalms 34:19 Many are the afflictions of the righteous, but the Lord delivers him out of them all.

Matthew 5:3 “Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. 4 “Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted.

2 Corinthians 1:3-4 “Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our affliction, so that we may be able to comfort those who are in any affliction, with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God.”

1 Peter 5:7 Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.

Upvote 0

Tempura

Noob
Site Supporter
May 2, 2010
✟320,561.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
The worse part about it is, other than breaking off our friendship, was that they consigned all manner of sin to me.

Ah, there's nothing like spiritual blackmail when we can't or won't dance to someone's tune. Forgive them, they don't know what they're doing.
I've quit all kinds of political discourse myself. If I vote, I vote, but that's it. Better to focus on God's grace and loving our neighbor.

God is not angry with you. Most of us go through dark times. The "dark night of the soul" is familiar to many, even for some of the mighty Christians of old. It can feel like everything is being swept from under us, and it can feel like God is nowhere to be found. But we will learn not to trust our feelings, we will learn to surrender all things to God in our hopelessness, and we will understand what it is to "hope for what we cannot see".

Nothing can separate you from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus. The cross of Christ won't be toppled down, and our dark night of the soul won't get us away from it, it gets us closer.

If you get to the point where you just can't function, please consider seeking help. I needed a lot of psychiatric help myself, and counseling can have its benefits, it can make us recognize our own thought patterns and how we let them affect us.

No fear sister, your life is safely hid with Christ.

Upvote 0

Thatgirloncfforums

Sep 28, 2021
Nowhere
✟40,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Private
Amen. Come Lord Jesus, for I am sorely in need of deliverance and You!
Psalms 34:19 Many are the afflictions of the righteous, but the Lord delivers him out of them all.

Matthew 5:3 “Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. 4 “Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted.

2 Corinthians 1:3-4 “Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our affliction, so that we may be able to comfort those who are in any affliction, with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God.”

1 Peter 5:7 Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.

Reactions: IWalkAlone
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Thatgirloncfforums

Sep 28, 2021
Nowhere
✟40,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Private
I have spiritually blackmailed others as well. I am very ashamed of my behavior the past couple of years. For that reason, I am thankful to God that I am out of the fray. I just wish that my friends could see their sins too--see that we are all the same in need of forgiveness from Christ and each other, instead of shifting all the blame onto me. I want to forgive them and restore them--restore our relationship. They don't want it. They won't even acknowledge that they need to be restored. It makes me very sad because I greatly love all three of them. Yes, if I get to the point of needing professional help, I will seek it. Thank you.
Ah, there's nothing like spiritual blackmail when we can't or won't dance to someone's tune. Forgive them, they don't know what they're doing.
I've quit all kinds of political discourse myself. If I vote, I vote, but that's it. Better to focus on God's grace and loving our neighbor.

God is not angry with you. Most of us go through dark times. The "dark night of the soul" is familiar to many, even for some of the mighty Christians of old. It can feel like everything is being swept from under us, and it can feel like God is nowhere to be found. But we will learn not to trust our feelings, we will learn to surrender all things to God in our hopelessness, and we will understand what it is to "hope for what we cannot see".

Nothing can separate you from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus. The cross of Christ won't be toppled down, and our dark night of the soul won't get us away from it, it gets us closer.

If you get to the point where you just can't function, please consider seeking help. I needed a lot of psychiatric help myself, and counseling can have its benefits, it can make us recognize our own thought patterns and how we let them affect us.

No fear sister, your life is safely hid with Christ.

• Friendly
Reactions: Tempura
Upvote 0

Robban

-----------
Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2009
✟651,624.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Divorced
I can't pray. I am drowning in depression and anxiety. I try to speak with God, asking him to resolve the issues that are keeping me sad. But I feel like he is far away or angry with me. I want so much to hear his voice, to hear a good and comforting word from him. I am trying to have faith that things will be resolved but there is doubt. If he is my friend, why are things so hard?

Hija,
just wanted to let you know I enjoyed the little chat we had in the spooky conspiracy

section, I'm still smiling.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

IWalkAlone

Oct 26, 2021
Ohio
✟11,916.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Amen. Come Lord Jesus, for I am sorely in need of deliverance and You!
Paul looked for deliverance from the thorn in his side that tormented him. God told Paul that His Grace was enough for Paul. Maybe we can look at our weakness as an opportunity to know God's grace.

Upvote 0