• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Thatgirloncfforums

Sep 28, 2021
Nowhere
✟40,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Private
I can't pray. I am drowning in depression and anxiety. I try to speak with God, asking him to resolve the issues that are keeping me sad. But I feel like he is far away or angry with me. I want so much to hear his voice, to hear a good and comforting word from him. I am trying to have faith that things will be resolved but there is doubt. If he is my friend, why are things so hard?

TheWhat?

Ate all the treats
Jul 3, 2021
SoCal
✟38,935.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
It's hard for me to say anything specific about you or your life as I know nothing about you, but I will say this...

Up until a couple of years ago or so I used to listen to christian radio quite a lot, tuning into a few favorite pastors, always hoping to hear a word from God kind of like you. Well, christian radio became increasingly angry and hostile. Eventually I had to turn it off because it was causing me more harm than good. Then the pandemic hit, and, eventually, that anger came to the surface politically here in the United States with the riots and Capitol insurrection. I'm skipping over a lot of detail but in the process of it all, I bottomed out spiritually and went through some really hard times myself. I had to take some time to recalibrate my spirituality -- I knew instinctively that I had to seek God's righteousness first to reestablish that foundation I was suddenly lacking. For a while it really seemed like He was only angry with me, and maybe He was, but I eventually found my way through it with help from God.

I can't really explain what is happening in America, but I definitely get the sense that things are changing, dramatically on a spiritual level here. You're definitely not alone in feeling down and out.

Upvote 0

God is good

Oct 4, 2016
Michigan
✟201,885.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I can't pray. I am drowning in depression and anxiety. I try to speak with God, asking him to resolve the issues that are keeping me sad. But I feel like he is far away or angry with me. I want so much to hear his voice, to hear a good and comforting word from him. I am trying to have faith that things will be resolved but there is doubt. If he is my friend, why are things so hard?
God really really loves you and Jesus is always with you. Jesus said that we are going to have trouble but "to take heart because I have overcome the World". Jesus is here with us and you can always pray to Him. God bless you and Jesus loves you

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hang in there ... to get to the other side of this rough patch. God will resolve your issues ... in time.

In the meantime, try to identify the things in your life which are positive for you. Even in the most down of times, you can recognize that God has given you much to appreciate. And they are meant to be a balance for the bad.

I'll give an example. When I was down about what was going on at work, ... I would affirm to myself ... "Well, at least you don't work in a ... ". There were a number of affirming ways that I could finish that sentence ... that helped me to feel better about my situation.

Also, I love music ... and reading ... and growing things. In my worst times, ... I found that if I forced myself to participate in these things that lifted me up, ... it would blunt the bad feelings somewhat.

Also, I began to listen to contemporary christian music ... to get me through some of my worse times. (I came to really like radio Air One 24/70). Honestly, I don't know how I could have had the fortitude to get through some of what I went through ... if it hadn't been for the power of uplifting christian music ... to settle, sustain, and uplift my thoughts and feelings.

Finally, get some other believers (who you trust) to pray for you. The Bible says the prayers of righteous people have great power. When people offer to pray for you, ... let them. In my depths, I reached out to fellow church-goers, and those that I trusted from radio and television broadcasts. I let down my prayer inhibitions ... so that I could be prayed for. I will pray for you.

So ... in the midst of your despairs, ... don't miss the opportunities for uplift that God gives. Pray to God to show you how to get through ... as well as for help in changing your circumstances. And when God shows you a way to be uplifted, release yourself to partake in it. God can get you through. Let Him ...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
But I feel like he is far away or angry with me. I want so much to hear his voice, to hear a good and comforting word from him. I am trying to have faith that things will be resolved but there is doubt. If he is my friend, why are things so hard?

Firstly have you spoken to your doctor, depression is a mental illness which medication helps.

You can help yourself by eating a healthy diet, getting exercise and meeting/interacting with people.

As others have said, God is with you.
That is not determined by your feelings, but by Jesus's promise never to leave you.

Why is life tough for some people? Sorry I have no idea.

All one can do is grit ones teeth and trust God.

Upvote 0

Silverback

Feb 13, 2019
South East
✟66,766.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Firstly have you spoken to your doctor, depression is a mental illness which medication helps.

You can help yourself by eating a healthy diet, getting exercise and meeting/interacting with people.

That is not determined by your feelings, but by Jesus's promise never to leave you.

Good advice, however, eating a healthy diet, getting exercise, and interacting with others is much more difficult than it sounds for some people suffering with depression, and anxiety...especially when one cannot get out of bed.

Upvote 0

Petros2015

Jun 23, 2016
undisclosed Bunker
✟289,738.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
If he is my friend, why are things so hard?

A few things with me personally;

I know the weather change from warm to cold/cool affects me greatly every year for a couple weeks
Recently I took account of my time and how I was spending it and had to cut off something that was consuming it in an addictive fashion. I'm feeling better since then, and more hopeful. The 'escape from depression' was causing more depression. I have struggled with choosing life for a long time, and my mind often revisits past failures setting me up to cause more.

In other words, to alter your question a bit, "If I am His friend why are things so hard" may or may not be applicable to you, but answering it tends to be helpful for me. And then I can learn to be a better one.

Upvote 0

splish- splash

Team- Early Interventions
Dec 2, 2019
✟225,571.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I am sorry about this. You can definitely hear God's voice in His word too thankfully. Plus a lot of peace can come from, understanding who He is and what He is about..

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Petros2015

Jun 23, 2016
undisclosed Bunker
✟289,738.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I can't really explain what is happening in America

As a side note for me, for depression, music helps an awful, awful lot
I just have to listen to it the right way
And know who's using someone to sing it to me

Upvote 0

IWalkAlone

Oct 26, 2021
Ohio
✟11,916.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Jesus must have known depression.

Isaiah 53:3 He was despised and rejected by men,
a man of sorrows and acquainted with grief;
and as one from whom men hide their faces
he was despised, and we esteemed him not.

4 Surely he has borne our griefs
and carried our sorrows;
yet we esteemed him stricken,
smitten by God, and afflicted.

2 Corinthians1:8 For we do not want you to be unaware, brothers and sisters, of our affliction which occurred in Asia, that we were burdened excessively, beyond our strength, so that we despaired even of life. 9 Indeed, we had the sentence of death within ourselves so that we would not trust in ourselves, but in God who raises the dead, 10 who rescued us from so great a danger of death, and will rescue us, He on whom we have set our hope. And He will yet deliver us, 11 if you also join in helping us through your prayers, so that thanks may be given by many persons in our behalf for the favor granted to us through the prayers of many.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Thatgirloncfforums

Sep 28, 2021
Nowhere
✟40,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Private
I'm sorry that you are experiencing this. Yes, I lost a lot of friends to the pandemic, not that they died but our friendship didn't survive the stress or at least, that's the way it seems to me. I live in the dark now alone, except for my cat, who I love very much. I am surrounded by people but am unreachable.
Part of what split me from my friends was all the political and cultural drama. They are warriors, I am not. I tried to be but messed up royally. I couldn't crusade like they were able. So, I definitely understand that aspect too.
It's hard for me to say anything specific about you or your life as I know nothing about you, but I will say this...

Up until a couple of years ago or so I used to listen to christian radio quite a lot, tuning into a few favorite pastors, always hoping to hear a word from God kind of like you. Well, christian radio became increasingly angry and hostile. Eventually I had to turn it off because it was causing me more harm than good. Then the pandemic hit, and, eventually, that anger came to the surface politically here in the United States with the riots and Capitol insurrection. I'm skipping over a lot of detail but in the process of it all, I bottomed out spiritually and went through some really hard times myself. I had to take some time to recalibrate my spirituality -- I knew instinctively that I had to seek God's righteousness first to reestablish that foundation I was suddenly lacking. For a while it really seemed like He was only angry with me, and maybe He was, but I eventually found my way through it with help from God.

I can't really explain what is happening in America, but I definitely get the sense that things are changing, dramatically on a spiritual level here. You're definitely not alone in feeling down and out.

Upvote 0

Thatgirloncfforums

Sep 28, 2021
Nowhere
✟40,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Private
About prayer: All I can really do, is just repeat, 'Jesus. Jesus' over and over again.
God really really loves you and Jesus is always with you. Jesus said that we are going to have trouble but "to take heart because I have overcome the World". Jesus is here with us and you can always pray to Him. God bless you and Jesus loves you

Reactions: jacks
Upvote 0

Thatgirloncfforums

Sep 28, 2021
Nowhere
✟40,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Private
Thank you. I try to stay very active. I volunteered to be the secretary at my church and go to church activities. I immerse myself in books and videos and live on C. Forums. Anything to keep myself from spiralling. But sometimes the pain gets to be too much.

Hang in there ... to get to the other side of this rough patch. God will resolve your issues ... in time.

In the meantime, try to identify the things in your life which are positive for you. Even in the most down of times, you can recognize that God has given you much to appreciate. And they are meant to be a balance for the bad.

I'll give an example. When I was down about what was going on at work, ... I would affirm to myself ... "Well, at least you don't work in a ... ". There were a number of affirming ways that I could finish that sentence ... that helped me to feel better about my situation.

Also, I love music ... and reading ... and growing things. In my worst times, ... I found that if I forced myself to participate in these things that lifted me up, ... it would blunt the bad feelings somewhat.

Also, I began to listen to contemporary christian music ... to get me through some of my worse times. (I came to really like radio Air One 24/70). Honestly, I don't know how I could have had the fortitude to get through some of what I went through ... if it hadn't been for the power of uplifting christian music ... to settle, sustain, and uplift my thoughts and feelings.

Finally, get some other believers (who you trust) to pray for you. The Bible says the prayers of righteous people have great power. When people offer to pray for you, ... let them. In my depths, I reached out to fellow church-goers, and those that I trusted from radio and television broadcasts. I let down my prayer inhibitions ... so that I could be prayed for. I will pray for you.

So ... in the midst of your despairs, ... don't miss the opportunities for uplift that God gives. Pray to God to show you how to get through ... as well as for help in changing your circumstances. And when God shows you a way to be uplifted, release yourself to partake in it. God can get you through. Let Him ...

Upvote 0

Thatgirloncfforums

Sep 28, 2021
Nowhere
✟40,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Private
No. Because I know the source of my depression. I just can't fix the problem.

I'm surrounded by people and exercise regularly. I could eat healthier, but I'm not a poor eater either (I don't eat junk food).

Trying

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Thatgirloncfforums

Sep 28, 2021
Nowhere
✟40,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Private
Good advice, however, eating a healthy diet, getting exercise, and interacting with others is much more difficult than it sounds for some people suffering with depression, and anxiety...especially when one cannot get out of bed.
It is difficult somedays but my responsibilities are such that I have to

Upvote 0

Thatgirloncfforums

Sep 28, 2021
Nowhere
✟40,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Private
Love to you.
A few things with me personally;

I know the weather change from warm to cold/cool affects me greatly every year for a couple weeks
Recently I took account of my time and how I was spending it and had to cut off something that was consuming it in an addictive fashion. I'm feeling better since then, and more hopeful. The 'escape from depression' was causing more depression. I have struggled with choosing life for a long time, and my mind often revisits past failures setting me up to cause more.

In other words, to alter your question a bit, "If I am His friend why are things so hard" may or may not be applicable to you, but answering it tends to be helpful for me. And then I can learn to be a better one.

Upvote 0

Thatgirloncfforums

Sep 28, 2021
Nowhere
✟40,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Private
Yeah, I wish I knew what he was about specifically as it relates to me.
I am sorry about this. You can definitely hear God's voice in His word too thankfully. Plus a lot of peace can come from, understanding who He is and what He is about..

Upvote 0

Thatgirloncfforums

Sep 28, 2021
Nowhere
✟40,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Private
Those look nice. I especially love dragons. But I can't listen to music much because I have sensory issues. Thanks.

As a side note for me, for depression, music helps an awful, awful lot
I just have to listen to it the right way
And know who's using someone to sing it to me

Upvote 0

Thatgirloncfforums

Sep 28, 2021
Nowhere
✟40,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Private
Was he depressed or just sad? I was taught that depression is a sin because it is essentially despairing or having a lack of faith.
Jesus must have known depression.

Isaiah 53:3 He was despised and rejected by men,
a man of sorrows and acquainted with grief;
and as one from whom men hide their faces
he was despised, and we esteemed him not.

4 Surely he has borne our griefs
and carried our sorrows;
yet we esteemed him stricken,
smitten by God, and afflicted.

2 Corinthians1:8 For we do not want you to be unaware, brothers and sisters, of our affliction which occurred in Asia, that we were burdened excessively, beyond our strength, so that we despaired even of life. 9 Indeed, we had the sentence of death within ourselves so that we would not trust in ourselves, but in God who raises the dead, 10 who rescued us from so great a danger of death, and will rescue us, He on whom we have set our hope. And He will yet deliver us, 11 if you also join in helping us through your prayers, so that thanks may be given by many persons in our behalf for the favor granted to us through the prayers of many.

Upvote 0