✟8,376.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Mgr Girotti named the new mortal sins to be

(1)genetic modification; (2) human experimentations, (3) polluting the environment; (4) social injustice; (5) causing poverty; (6) financial gluttony; and (7) taking drugs.

In remedying this, he acknowledged that priests must also consider new sins, brought about by changes in the global community.
"You offend God not only by stealing, blaspheming or coveting your neighbor's wife, but also by ruining the environment, carrying out mortally debatable scientific experiments, or allowing genetic manipulations which alter DNA or compromise embryos," the Times quoted Mgr Girotti.
Girotti also recognized the growing problems of abortion, pedophilia, and a widespread habit of "making do without God."
"Those who trust in themselves and in their own merits are, as it were, blinded by their own 'I', and their hearts harden in sin," said Girotti.

Meshavrischika

for Thy greater honor and glory
Jun 12, 2007
OK
✟43,103.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
(1)genetic modification; (2) human experimentations, (3) polluting the environment; (4) social injustice; (5) causing poverty; (6) financial gluttony; and (7) taking drugs.

Hahaha... since they're not scripturally supported anyway go ahead and change them (though I propose we ad #8 and have it be men wearing spandex)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

WarEagle

Nov 12, 2006
✟7,149.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Mgr Girotti named the new mortal sins to be

In remedying this, he acknowledged that priests must also consider new sins, brought about by changes in the global community.
"You offend God not only by stealing, blaspheming or coveting your neighbor's wife, but also by ruining the environment, carrying out mortally debatable scientific experiments, or allowing genetic manipulations which alter DNA or compromise embryos," the Times quoted Mgr Girotti.
Girotti also recognized the growing problems of abortion, pedophilia, and a widespread habit of "making do without God."
"Those who trust in themselves and in their own merits are, as it were, blinded by their own 'I', and their hearts harden in sin," said Girotti.

And these things are based on which passage of scripture?

Who cares what the Vatican says? Wake me when they can show me where the Bible backs up anything they say.

Reactions: MikeMcK
Upvote 0

talkingmonkey

Jan 21, 2008
Brisneyland
Visit site
✟7,871.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Greens
so:

Financial gluttony - greed
Gene modification - pride
Human experimentation - wrath
Polluting the environment - sloth
Social injustice - envy
Causing poverty - lust (not the romantic lust, the lust for material things)
Taking drugs - gluttony

So, they have just changed the facade of the same sins into something a little more contempory?

Reactions: wanderingone
Upvote 0

PetersKeys

Traditionalist Catholic , Paleo-conservative
Mar 4, 2008
✟8,376.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
And these things are based on which passage of scripture?

Who cares what the Vatican says? Wake me when they can show me where the Bible backs up anything they say.

You do not seem to know the nature of sin. The world tends to change and things like modern experiements which happen to be immoral need to be addressed. There actually are extentions to the regular 7 deadly sins. Secondly Paul also says hold fast to the traditions, either by word of mouth or letter. The "name it and claim it" dosen't work with real christians who actually understand scripture.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Verv

Senior Veteran
Apr 17, 2005
서울
✟31,762.00
Country
Korea, Republic Of
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
One can easily infer all of these as being parts of the original seven deadly sins (and if not there, from other portions of the Bible).

I guess it is acceptable for them to try to highligh tthem as sins but they could have really re-phrased this and not made it out to be a new version so to speak.

Upvote 0

WarEagle

Nov 12, 2006
✟7,149.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You do not seem to know the nature of sin.

Sure, I understand the nature of sin.

However, I'm not talking about the nature of sin. I'm talking about the self proclaimed authority of Roman Catholicism and the utter lack of any scriptural support for it.

The "name it and claim it" dosen't work with real christians who actually understand scripture.

Actually, I'm one of the harshest critics of the name it and claim it movement. I don't see what that has to do with this thread.

Bottom line, neither the Vatican nor the pope have the authority to declare anything a sin and, as long as what they say isn't supported by scripture, there's no more reason for me to listen to these men who claim that they're speaking for God, than there is for me to listen to the wino down at the train station who says that he is God.

Upvote 0

Meshavrischika

for Thy greater honor and glory
Jun 12, 2007
OK
✟43,103.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Sure, I understand the nature of sin.

However, I'm not talking about the nature of sin. I'm talking about the self proclaimed authority of Roman Catholicism and the utter lack of any scriptural support for it.

Actually, I'm one of the harshest critics of the name it and claim it movement. I don't see what that has to do with this thread.

Bottom line, neither the Vatican nor the pope have the authority to declare anything a sin and, as long as what they say isn't supported by scripture, there's no more reason for me to listen to these men who claim that they're speaking for God, than there is for me to listen to the wino down at the train station who says that he is God.
:thumbsup: :amen:

Upvote 0