Vaccinate? yes or no? 2 babies die, dozens hospitalized after vaccination in southern Mexico

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue Wren

Sep 22, 2014
Solna, Sweden
✟26,447.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Yes, I am aware of the complications you have had and I feel horrible for you. You know I love you :). I just don't agree with all the anti-vax bashing. So I keep my opinions to myself.

I don't think people who choose not to vax are horrible criminals who deserve death. I believe there are two sides to this and I also believe parents should have the choice.

There are 2 sides, yes, but they are not equal, at all, when it comes to evidence. There are extremists, on both sides, of every issues, yes? Most people, do not wish for anti-vax parents, to be treated like criminals who deserve death, no. I should hope, most people, who are anti-vax, aren't calling autism a "Holocaust" caused by vaccines, & other idiot things, like some nutters do. Most, are not so extreme. It is responsible, to fairly criticise parents, who do not vaccinate their children, against the advice of their paediatricians. It is not true, that you've kept your opinions, to yourself, is it? You posted so many threads & posts, on this place. You posted, on a thread you made, a blog, with a cutting letter, "dear parents of a immunocompromised child who think my child is a threat" when our mutual friend here, who is an immunocompromised child, was in quarantine, due to measles exposure.

To add. Parents are not making a choice, just for their own children, this is the problem. Still, they do have choices, yes? Even, in California, with the new law. If parents, do not wish to vaccinate their children, they can school them from the home. In Australia, if they do not wish to vaccinate, they will not receive special tax exemptions. There are a few countries, where inoculations, are compulsory, due to outbreaks & such. I do not see so many people, from those countries, posting on this place.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dave RP

Jun 9, 2015
London
✟63,350.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
No. Better to let the parents decide what is best for their children rather than let the government make that decision.
Unfortunately it doesn't just affect the particular parents children, if there are too many un-vaccinated children in a particular area then childhood illnesses which should be confined to history will return, killing and maiming many.

Upvote 0

Saricharity

Follower of Christ
Mar 24, 2014
Canada
✟75,597.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There are 2 sides, yes, but they are not equal, at all, when it comes to evidence. There are extremists, on both sides, of every issues, yes? Most people, do not wish for anti-vax parents, to be treated like criminals who deserve death, no. I should hope, most people, who are anti-vax, aren't calling autism a "Holocaust" caused by vaccines, & other idiot things, like some nutters do. Most, are not so extreme. It is responsible, to fairly criticise parents, who do not vaccinate their children, against the advice of their paediatricians. It is not true, that you've kept your opinions, to yourself, is it? You posted so many threads & posts, on this place. You posted, on a thread you made, a blog, with a cutting letter, "dear parents of a immunocompromised child who think my child is a threat" when our mutual friend here, who is an immunocompromised child, was in quarantine, due to measles exposure.

To add. Parents are not making a choice, just for their own children, this is the problem. Still, they do have choices, yes? Even, in California, with the new law. If parents, do not wish to vaccinate their children, they can school them from the home. In Australia, if they do not wish to vaccinate, they will not receive special tax exemptions. There are a few countries, where inoculations, are compulsory, due to outbreaks & such. I do not see so many people, from those countries, posting on this place.

I believe parents have good reasons when they choose not to vax. I believe they should have a choice. I refuse to judge them. Trust me, I have refrained from saying and posting more that I have learned here. It's not worth my time or energy. I know more than one immune compromised child and not all of them think alike on this topic. Like it or not, there is a widespread opinion on this topic. It's not going away anytime soon. Since the beginning of vaccines, people have had concerns. I don't agree with you about criticizing parents on this choice. Doctors are responsible to inform about medical decisions and back off. No one has the right to tell an individual what to inject into their body or their child's. It's morally wrong. Just because politicians create a law doesn't make it morally right.

Upvote 0

Paulos23

Never tell me the odds!
Mar 23, 2005
Washington State
✟317,975.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I believe parents have good reasons when they choose not to vax. I believe they should have a choice. I refuse to judge them. Trust me, I have refrained from saying and posting more that I have learned here. It's not worth my time or energy. I know more than one immune compromised child and not all of them think alike on this topic. Like it or not, there is a widespread opinion on this topic. It's not going away anytime soon. Since the beginning of vaccines, people have had concerns. I don't agree with you about criticizing parents on this choice. Doctors are responsible to inform about medical decisions and back off. No one has the right to tell an individual what to inject into their body or their child's. It's morally wrong. Just because politicians create a law doesn't make it morally right.
You have not lived in the time when "childhood" diseases where rampant and your child getting one meant they may die, or worse they would be maimed. There was a reason people had many children in the past. So that some would survive.

We have had over a generation of people not worrying about this, and it has skewed their perception. Once their kids get sick, they will regret not vaccinating.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

The Cadet

SO COOL
Apr 29, 2010
Munich
✟45,617.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
If one child dies from a vaccination, it's too many. Parents should have the right to decide whether to take that risk or not.
Does this same logic apply to bicycle helmets and seatbelts? I mean, I know for a fact that children have died because they were buckled in or had helmets on. They would not have died otherwise. Does that mean we should leave the choice of whether or not to wear a seatbelt up to the child?

I believe parents have good reasons when they choose not to vax.

Why do you believe that? I have looked and looked and looked for good reasons to avoid vaccination, and all I find is more and more bad science, so if you know of a good reason not to vaccinate a child without a direct medical contraindication (an allergy, or HIV for example), I'd love to hear it.

Upvote 0

The Cadet

SO COOL
Apr 29, 2010
Munich
✟45,617.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Mandating vaccines is both unnecessary

MeaslesIncrease2.png

http://www.cnbc.com/2015/02/06/map-where-californias-unvaccinated-live.html

I'd say that given that some regions in Cali have uptake rates as low as 67%, that the vaccination status of the community is of legitimate interest to each individual within that community, that we're protecting against lethal diseases, and that those diseases are making a comeback, "unnecessary" is not a good word to use.

Reactions: Paulos23
Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟670,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Does this same logic apply to bicycle helmets and seatbelts? I mean, I know for a fact that children have died because they were buckled in or had helmets on. They would not have died otherwise. Does that mean we should leave the choice of whether or not to wear a seatbelt up to the child?

I think you mean "the parent". The answer is yes. It should be up to an individual to decide what they are going to do for themselves. Seatbelts and helmets included. Of course, the government disagrees with that too because they reason that it raises the insurance rates for everyone else. Why is that? Because the government also mandates that hospitals are required to treat those who don't have means to pay, and also that everyone is required to have health insurance.

Where government controls and mandates, government takes away freedom.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟670,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
People who don't get vaccinations do not have legitimate reasons and they risk the lives of others. If a kid gets a disease that should not exist within a society that vaccinates, then it is the parents' fault. If you don't want to get your shots, then you have the right to be deported to your place of choice.

Wow, what an attitude! So American! :sigh: You clearly have redefined what a "right" is.

Upvote 0

Supreme

British
Jul 30, 2009
London
✟22,685.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
MeaslesIncrease2.png

http://www.cnbc.com/2015/02/06/map-where-californias-unvaccinated-live.html

I'd say that given that some regions in Cali have uptake rates as low as 67%, that the vaccination status of the community is of legitimate interest to each individual within that community, that we're protecting against lethal diseases, and that those diseases are making a comeback, "unnecessary" is not a good word to use.
It's very sad to see an illness as preventable as measles making a comeback, all because a small minority of people have ridiculous views of vaccination.

Reactions: The Cadet
Upvote 0

The Cadet

SO COOL
Apr 29, 2010
Munich
✟45,617.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
I think you mean "the parent". The answer is yes. It should be up to an individual to decide what they are going to do for themselves. Seatbelts and helmets included. Of course, the government disagrees with that too because they reason that it raises the insurance rates for everyone else. Why is that? Because the government also mandates that hospitals are required to treat those who don't have means to pay, and also that everyone is required to have health insurance.

Where government controls and mandates, government takes away freedom.
Well, you're internally consistent, but I have to say that I don't find your system of government a particularly attractive concept.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟670,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Well, you're internally consistent, but I have to say that I don't find your system of government a particularly attractive concept.

It used to be all about freedom, but as of late, it has been all about "keeping us safe" from each other, ourselves, and anything that might deduct from the tax base. The government seems to think they are the parents of the people now.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟670,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
It's so sad that the US, such a powerhouse of science should be home to such conspiracy theories as anti-vax. In addition, these theories are uncharitable--they are made to keep children away from protection against some very deadly diseases.

They are made to keep children from the potentially life-threatening side effects of vaccines.

The theory that they're made to keep children away from protection is more of a conspiracy theory than what you are speaking against.

Upvote 0

Loudmouth

Contributor
Aug 26, 2003
Visit site
✟98,005.00
Faith
Agnostic
(CNN)Mexican health officials are investigating after two babies died and 29 children were hospitalized from suspected adverse reactions to shots from the country's national vaccination program.

Six of the children hospitalized in the southern Mexican state of Chiapas remain in serious condition, the Mexican Social Security Institute said on Sunday.

The parents of the two infants who died were so outraged at the government that they refused to let authorities perform autopsies, CNNMexico reported.

unless the drug companies get it right.. I vote no.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/05/10/health/mexico-vaccine-deaths/

The threat from these vaccines most likely no different than anything that is injected into the body.

"Authorities haven't said what they think caused the illnesses. They've pinpointed the batches the vaccines came from and have suspended administration of other vaccines from those batches pending the conclusion of their investigation, the institute said. They're also investigating the needles used in the vaccinations and the possibility that a virus or bacteria could have caused the illnesses, Mexico's El Universal newspaper reported."

If a shot is nothing but saline, you still run the risk of viral or bacterial infection. Since this appears to be limited to one batch of vaccines, the most likely culprit is contamination.

Upvote 0

Loudmouth

Contributor
Aug 26, 2003
Visit site
✟98,005.00
Faith
Agnostic
If one child dies from a vaccination, it's too many. Parents should have the right to decide whether to take that risk or not.

A vaccine saves hundreds of millions of lives, but also causes 1 or 2 deaths from complications related directly to the vaccine. You are saying that this vaccine should be taken off the market because one death is too much?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
It used to be all about freedom, but as of late, it has been all about "keeping us safe" from each other, ourselves, and anything that might deduct from the tax base. The government seems to think they are the parents of the people now.
"It" isn't and never was all about your personal freedom overriding everyone else's safety.

Reactions: Ada Lovelace
Upvote 0

Peregrino

Jun 6, 2007
✟7,753.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
They are made to keep children from the potentially life-threatening side effects of vaccines.

The theory that they're made to keep children away from protection is more of a conspiracy theory than what you are speaking against.

Yes, that's the conspiracy theory, that vaccines are a threat to kids, after having saved millions of children and adults, and still doing it. Isn't it daft? Sad, really.

EDIT: I just saw the other threads in this section. The amount of conspiracies, from Government going to close schools for not marrying gays, to Armaggeddon happening (aparently Armaggeddon happens every 4 to 6 months since the Soviet Union was the anti-Christ --that would inevitably bring the end of the world-- over 40 years ago, and those of us who didn't think so were deranged or worse, demonized)... is daunting.

I think I should keep away from this section of the forums--it's much too wacko for my peace of mind and soul.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ada Lovelace
Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟327,399.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
The threat from these vaccines most likely no different than anything that is injected into the body.

"Authorities haven't said what they think caused the illnesses. They've pinpointed the batches the vaccines came from and have suspended administration of other vaccines from those batches pending the conclusion of their investigation, the institute said. They're also investigating the needles used in the vaccinations and the possibility that a virus or bacteria could have caused the illnesses, Mexico's El Universal newspaper reported."

If a shot is nothing but saline, you still run the risk of viral or bacterial infection. Since this appears to be limited to one batch of vaccines, the most likely culprit is contamination.

Uh, no.

It was not linked to the vaccines at all. In the initial response all vials from the same batches were not administered until the cause was found. A reasonable precaution. The cause was found to bacterial and not related to the vaccines.

This was documented in posts 5 and 6 of this thread and I mentioned in post 25 that this would most likely been prevented if the vaccines contained Thimerosal which sadly has been removed because of irrational fears of anti vaxers.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.