Measles outbreak sickens more than a dozen unvaccinated children in Ohio; 9 hospitalized

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟827,768.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
A growing measles outbreak in Columbus, Ohio, has sickened more than a dozen unvaccinated children and hospitalized nine of them, and local public health officials are seeking assistance from the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

As of Friday morning, Columbus Public Health officials updated their investigation to include 19 confirmed cases, and more suspected, at 10 daycare centers and two schools.

“All cases are in unvaccinated children, and all but one are less than 4 years old. One child is 6 years old,” Newman said.

About 90% of unvaccinated people who are exposed to measles will become infected, according to Columbus Public Health, and about 1 in 5 people in the US who get measles will be hospitalized.

Reactions: Nithavela

Tuur

Oct 12, 2022
Southeast
✟47,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That raised the question: When does Ohio require vaccinations for measles? That first led me here:

That, in turn, led me here:

How is it that they weren't vaccinated?

BTW, for those just dropping by, those 19 cases are statewide.

Upvote 0

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟331,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
That raised the question: When does Ohio require vaccinations for measles? That first led me here:

Some people are against vaccinations, because vaccinations have helped so well. People have forgotten how deadly it can be if didn't have vaccinations at all.

Upvote 0

Tuur

Oct 12, 2022
Southeast
✟47,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Some people are against vaccinations, because vaccinations have helped so well. People have forgotten how deadly it can be if didn't have vaccinations at all.
I know about the anti-vaxxers, it's just the number seems high. That many?

I was of the generation that took the Small Pox vaccine, and had a full course, and never had measles or whooping cough because of it. An old undertaker (circa 1990s), was asked what was the biggest change he'd seen, and he said he didn't see as many small coffins.

Upvote 0

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA/Belize
✟1,748,101.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

The measles vaccine is not given till they are one year old. What would concern me is that the babies had to be exposed to it, meaning there are more cases than the health dept is aware of.

And, BTW, measles in the very young can cause blindness.

Measles infections can harm the front or back of the eye, possibly causing vision loss or blindness​

Though measles is just re-emerging as a threat in developed countries, the disease has long been a leading cause of childhood blindness worldwide. One study estimates that measles causes up to 60,000 cases of blindness a year globally. Poor access to measles vaccination and malnutrition often correlate with higher rates of blindness in the most affected countries.​

And then it can cause birth defects when a mother gets it when she is less than 4 months pregnant,

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟827,768.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
  • Wow
Reactions: MotoToTheMax
Upvote 0

Don't Panic

Nov 25, 2022
Newfield
✟2,966.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟827,768.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)

Measles outbreak in central Ohio ends after 85 cases, all among children who weren't fully vaccinated

None of the children died, but 36 were hospitalized.

---

In related news in neighboring Kentucky...

3rd case of measles in Kentucky linked to 'revival' at Asbury University

State health officials are encouraging attendees who are unvaccinated to quarantine for 21 days and seek immunization.

"Anyone who attended the revival on Feb. 18 may have been exposed to measles," Dr. Steven Stack, commissioner of the Kentucky Department for Public Health (KDPH) said.

[I note for the sake of clarity that the first two cases in Kentucky were not linked to Asbury -- only "the third case" was so linked.]

Upvote 0

Diamond7

YEC, OEC, GAP, TE - Dispensationalist.
Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟70,614.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
That raised the question: When does Ohio require vaccinations for measles?
They are required to be vaccinated before they can enter school. The school has a nurse who has to make sure everyone is vaccinated. If not then they get sent home. Unless you have a note from your doctor to exempt you. My wife had an issue at work, so she got a note from a doctor to exempt her.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums