USPS worker charged with dumping ballots, as mail carriers perform extra trips before Election Day

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,674,981.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

NerdGirl

The untamed daughter
Apr 14, 2020
USA
✟65,654.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

Xenophon

Jul 16, 2020
Smithfield
✟17,906.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
A. This kind of order that the judge gave is part of the reason why the USPS has difficulty paying the bills. Extra trips means overtime pay - is the federal government going to pay for the extra cost? Nope. Expected free labor.

B. Yes, the USPS is taking extraordinary percaution with all election mail, especially ballots. All ballots are being scanned (outside envelope) and counted at each step of the way, so that there is a solid papertrail for the ballots.

C. The cases reported of USPS Carriers 'dumping ballots' are cases where ballots have been dumped with a lot of other mail - they happened to be in the dumped trays and not singled out to be dumped. This, unfortunately, happens because many people who go to work for the USPS are not adequately suited to the stress of the job (job turnover is immense) and a lack of integrity. Sometimes the blame is also on overly harsh postmasters or supervisors who demand too much from new employees (very steep learning curve.)

D. 99.9% of mail improperly disposed of is discovered and arrives at it's targeted location.

E. The robbery of collection boxes and the assault of postal workers is nothing new. Boston and D.C. in particular had a ton of armed robberies of postal workers when the stimulus checks went out. The use of stolen keys to illegally open collection boxes for various purposes is a problem - and of course sometimes it is done with crowbars or other instruments.

F. It is worrying that the police would back off from protecting the postal carriers and collection boxes.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,368.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
A. This kind of order that the judge gave is part of the reason why the USPS has difficulty paying the bills. Extra trips means overtime pay - is the federal government going to pay for the extra cost? Nope. Expected free labor.
I was, a long time ago, a USPS letter carrier. And a shop steward. In that role I attempted to enforce the contract, which included limiting the work week to 60 hours and the work day to 12 hours. Time over 40 hours a week or 8 hours a day was paid at time and a half. Time over 56 hours a week, or over 10 hours a day was paid at double time. But carriers were worked even over 60 hours a week and 12 hours a day. I won a grievance for a cease and desist but also pay of double time and a half for time over 60 hours per week or over 12 hours a day. Those were some hefty paychecks when the USPS couldn't figure out how to hire enough people.

I haven't kept up with the inner workings of the USPS. I'm quite happy, actually, to have left that mess behind. But it seems to be a very troubled institution still. Back in the old days I heard about mail going missing even while the vast majority of USPS personnel were exceptionally honest.

• Informative
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

Xenophon

Jul 16, 2020
Smithfield
✟17,906.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I was, a long time ago, a USPS letter carrier. And a shop steward. In that role I attempted to enforce the contract, which included limiting the work week to 60 hours and the work day to 12 hours. Time over 40 hours a week or 8 hours a day was paid at time and a half. Time over 56 hours a week, or over 10 hours a day was paid at double time. But carriers were worked even over 60 hours a week and 12 hours a day. I won a grievance for a cease and desist but also pay of double time and a half for time over 60 hours per week or over 12 hours a day. Those were some hefty paychecks when the USPS couldn't figure out how to hire enough people.

I haven't kept up with the inner workings of the USPS. I'm quite happy, actually, to have left that mess behind. But it seems to be a very troubled institution still. Back in the old days I heard about mail going missing even while the vast majority of USPS personnel were exceptionally honest.

*cough* That's my current position. *cough*

At the very least the ones I know are exceptionally honest.

• Informative
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,368.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
*cough* That's my current position. *cough*

At the very least the ones I know are exceptionally honest.
The steward part or just the carrier part?

Upvote 0