Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2017
Lafayette, LA
✟544,986.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The article included below deals specifically with what may soon be happening in the United States economy, but regardless of where you live, the question posed in the following thread is this: What would you do if food prices doubled within the space of just the next few months? Even if it merely increased by another 50%, what would you do to cope with the increased cost of living, and what would you consider cutting down on if you had to eliminate something, or several somethings? Do you think the scripture that says, "having food and raiment, let us therewith be content" will or should become more applicable in the lives of Christians than it has been in the past?

I ask because it appears food prices in the US may indeed be doubling soon. This is the contention of the following article, published last week in the Epoch Times, where several farmers were interviewed who are now warning that the costs they are presently incurring are going up dramatically, and these costs will of necessity have to be passed on to the consumer by the time their goods hit the market in just a few months.

New Wave of Food Price Hikes Set to Hit Americans This Fall
The inflation consumers have witnessed thus far does not yet reflect the severity of the cost increases farmers are facing today.
By Kevin Stocklin

ABSRAG2AGZGD5HYI4HWP4YOLQM.png

In its effort to contain inflation, the Federal Reserve has begun what many expect to be a series of interest rate boosts, which are already taking a toll on stock and housing markets, with job losses likely to follow. While Americans grow weary of record-high gas and grocery prices, however, another round of price increases is making its way through the supply chain and is expected to reach consumers this fall.

"People don't realize what's fixing to hit them," Texas farmer Lynn "Bugsy" Allen said. "They think it's tough right now; you give it until October. Food prices are going to double."

The 8.8 percent increase in food prices that Americans have already seen doesn't take into account the dramatically higher costs that farmers are now experiencing. That's because farers pay upfront, and only recoup their expenses at the point of sale, months later.

"Usually what we see on the farm the consumer doesn't see for another 18 months," said John Chester, a Tennessee farmer of corn, wheat and soybeans. But with the severity of these cost increases, consumers could feel the effects much sooner, particularly if weather becomes a factor.

"Nothing that consumers are paying is going to bridge the gap for farmers right now," according to Lorenda Overman, a North Carolina farmer who raises hogs, and grows corn, soybeans and sweet potatoes. "The prices have not hit the grocery stores yet," but she expects they will start to by the end of summer... Higher food and energy prices will leave Americans with less money to spend on other goods, which will reduce demand and create repercussions for the wider economy.

In addressing something related more specifically to the question posed in this thread, the article also went on to state:

Economic reports are indicating that that Americans are already unable to keep up with inflation. Household savings fell to the lowest rate in 14 years, as people struggle to maintain their standard of living. Credit card debt is hitting record highs, and retailers say they are preparing for more consumers to limit their spending to the "bare-bones basics."

My guess is the answer for most (and this of necessity) will be to NOT continue trying to maintain their standard of living but start looking for ways to cut down, and most certainly it will not be to continue going deeper into debt, thinking things will all get better eventually. As scripture states, godliness with contentment is great gain, and this is a truth the modern, prosperous church may have a new appreciation for as we move deeper and deeper into the end-times.

God bless,
Hidden In Him

For those who have not read them, the subject matter discussed above and what to do about it is also dealt with in more detail in the following threads:
Returning To A 19th Century Standard Of Living Soon?
Beware Of Debt Now

Hidden In Him

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2017
Lafayette, LA
✟544,986.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I believe in "shunning debt like the plague."

So do I. :oldthumbsup:

Granted, I'm still paying a mortgage note and a car note at present, but long gone are the days when I just threw a credit card at something if I assumed we had to have it. We currently have a fridge that appears on the brink, and some expensive dental visits looming, but I've already informed the beloved that we are NOT going into debt for a new refrigerator. We'll get one when we can afford it, and I'm sure the Lord will provide, but no way am I going back to the stress of exorbitant interest rates and ridiculous late fees hanging over my head and mounting with each passing month. That was a nightmarish way to live. I'd rather go without a refrigerator for a year... although she certainly won't like it, but maybe that will get her to praying more, Lol.

I don't judge those who do, but I am not digging myself back into that hole again. This time around I'm prepared, and aware that getting back out of debt won't be nearly so easy.

Upvote 0

The Narrow Way

Master Herbalist
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2011
Ohio
Visit site
✟150,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So do I. :oldthumbsup:

Granted, I'm still paying a mortgage note and a car note at present, but long gone are the days when I just threw a credit card at something if I assumed we had to have it. We currently have a fridge that appears on the brink, and some expensive dental visits looming, but I've already informed the beloved that we are NOT going into debt for a new refrigerator. We'll get one when we can afford it, and I'm sure the Lord will provide, but no way am I going back to the stress of exorbitant interest rates and ridiculous late fees hanging over my head and mounting with each passing month. That was a nightmarish way to live. I'd rather go without a refrigerator for a year... although she certainly won't like it, but maybe that will get her to praying more, Lol.
I don't judge those who do, but I am not digging myself back into that hole again. This time around I'm prepared, and aware that getting back out of debt won't be nearly so easy.
We went without an oven for over two years. It really wasn't too hard! (Even though we cook everything we eat, and never eat out.) We used a crock pot alot and a small little portable oven.... We recently paid the house off and don't owe on the cars.... But, we will have to go in debt for our next order of Better Than Greens (we are a mail-order health business and BTG's is our #1 product, we have to buy $90K at a time) but hopefully we'll have alot of that saved up before the order gets here and we'll save like crazy to get it paid off.

Reactions: Hidden In Him
Upvote 0

Hidden In Him

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2017
Lafayette, LA
✟544,986.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We went without an oven for over two years. It really wasn't too hard! (Even though we cook everything we eat, and never eat out.)

This is one we still haven't gotten out of the habit on. Just went today and picked up a two piece combo with a Dr.Pepper and a large side order of mashed potatoes (Popeye's Chicken) and it cost me eighteen dollars! Eighteen dollars, for heaven's sakes. How ridiculous is that? Lol.

And I know full well most fast food isn't good for us... I'm just moving in the direction of eating healthier a little slowly still. But I did buy a new juicer the other day. :) It's supposed to be self-cleaning, so if you add water and press a button it will do the job itself. Maybe that will make it less of a hassle to use, so here's hoping it lasts us for awhile. $90 on sale at Walmart.

Upvote 0

Hidden In Him

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2017
Lafayette, LA
✟544,986.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We used a crock pot alot and a small little portable oven....

This gives me an idea. If it looks like we can't afford the fridge right away, I'll go buy a nice-sized ice chest and fill it with ice, and then maybe guide her over to it with a blindfold on, and say excitedly, "Ready to see our new refrigerator?!" LoL.

You gotta keep a sense of humor in life, and that's one thing we have in abundance. :p

Upvote 0

The Narrow Way

Master Herbalist
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2011
Ohio
Visit site
✟150,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This is one we still haven't gotten out of the habit on. Just went today and picked up a two piece combo with a Dr.Pepper and a large side order of mashed potatoes (Popeye's Chicken) and it cost me eighteen dollars! Eighteen dollars, for heaven's sakes. How ridiculous is that? Lol.

And I know full well most fast food isn't good for us... I'm just moving in the direction of eating healthier a little slowly still. But I did buy a new juicer the other day. :) It's supposed to be self-cleaning, so if you add water and press a button it will do the job itself. Maybe that will make it less of a hassle to use, so here's hoping it lasts us for awhile. $90 on sale at Walmart.
To me, eating out is almost like flushing your $ down the toilet. You can eat at home, better, healthier food, for way less than half the price! We haven't not eaten out anywhere for nearly 20 years. :)

• Haha
Upvote 0

Freth

Site Supporter
Jul 11, 2020
Midwest, USA
✟381,531.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Thankfully, I was raised on depression era recipes, so I know how to cook on a budget. I think a lot of us will have to tap into those old ways to be able to stretch our dollars. When you can make meals that last a week for five bucks or less, you can live on a very small food budget.

Upvote 0

Hidden In Him

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2017
Lafayette, LA
✟544,986.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thankfully, I was raised on depression era recipes, so I know how to cook on a budget. I think a lot of us will have to tap into those old ways to be able to stretch our dollars. When you can make meals that last a week for five bucks or less, you can live on a very small food budget.

Greetings, Freth.

I don't know that the Lord wants us to become so tight that we can't still enjoy life and enjoy eating, so I'm a little torn about going that far. I think the Lord will provide for us.... but maybe I'm superimposing my own beliefs on others too much. I just think for many there may need to be some cutting back is all, and maybe some rethinking of where all they are spending their money.

But I would add that a little more fasting and prayer wouldn't kill us either.

• Friendly
Reactions: Freth
Upvote 0

Freth

Site Supporter
Jul 11, 2020
Midwest, USA
✟381,531.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Greetings, Freth.

I don't know that the Lord wants us to become so tight that we can't still enjoy life and enjoy eating, so I'm a little torn about going that far. I think the Lord will provide for us.... but maybe I'm superimposing my own beliefs on others too much. I just think for many there may need to be some cutting back is all, and maybe some rethinking of where all they are spending their money.

But I would add that a little more fasting and prayer wouldn't kill us either.

I grew up on that sort of food, so it's not a sacrifice to me. Mom always made tasty food. I remember we used to have hot dogs on pizza (mom would buy Appian Way pizza kits). Some of my fondest memories are those meals. These days I'm not so much the meat eater.

I know it's not for everyone, but I am embracing it, because of my childhood. And you're right, fasting is probably a good thing, and definitely prayer. Being diabetic, fasting is a bit difficult for me, I need to keep my sugar in check.

The right way is the way that's right for you, I think.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hidden In Him

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2017
Lafayette, LA
✟544,986.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I grew up on that sort of food, so it's not a sacrifice to me. Mom always made tasty food. I remember we used to have hot dogs on pizza (mom would buy Appian Way pizza kits). Some of my fondest memories are those meals. These days I'm not so much the meat eater.

My wife is like this as well. She was raised in Guatemala and their family ate very healthy. Mostly a fruit and vegetable-based diet; meat was more of a delicacy. She also has a lot of fond memories of her childhood, because she had like 8 sisters and brothers (3 were adopted), and the family was very close.:hug:

Reactions: Freth
Upvote 0