Not open for further replies.

Colter

Nov 9, 2004
✟92,791.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
I read enough of the Urantia book to know I don't need to read more.

..but contempt after investigation is just fine?

I want you to make your case. How can your case be solid, if you cannot answer simple questions about it?
I doubt your sincerity. If you have a specific question about the material I will try to answer it as I have read it a number of times.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,135.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
If you have a specific question about the material I will try to answer it as I have read it a number of times.
Can you give me the name of one of its authors?

Upvote 0

Colter

Nov 9, 2004
✟92,791.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Can you give me the name of one of its authors?

Sure, these are the names of some papers and their authors.
  1. 32. The Evolution of Local Universes - Mighty Messenger
  2. 33. Administration of the Local Universe - Chief of Archangels
  3. 34. The Local Universe Mother Spirit - Mighty Messenger
  4. 35. The Local Universe Sons of God - Chief of Archangels
  5. 36. The Life Carriers - Vorondadek Son
  6. 37. Personalities of the Local Universe - Brilliant Evening Star
  7. 38. Ministering Spirits of the Local Universe - Melchizedek
  8. 39. The Seraphic Hosts - Melchizedek
  9. 40. The Ascending Sons of God - Mighty Messenger
  10. 41. Physical Aspects of the Local Universe - Archangel
  11. 42. Energy — Mind and Matter - Mighty Messenger
  12. 43. The Constellations - Malavatia Melchizedek
  13. 44. The Celestial Artisans - Archangel
  14. 45. The Local System Administration - Melchizedek
  15. 46. The Local System Headquarters - Archangel
  16. 47. The Seven Mansion Worlds - Brilliant Evening Star
  17. 48. The Morontia Life - Archangel
  18. 49. The Inhabited Worlds - Melchizedek
  19. 50. The Planetary Princes - Secondary Lanonandek
  20. 51. The Planetary Adams - Secondary Lanonandek
  21. 52. Planetary Mortal Epochs - Mighty Messenger
  22. 53. The Lucifer Rebellion - Manovandet Melchizedek
  23. 54. Problems of the Lucifer Rebellion - Mighty Messenger
  24. 55. The Spheres of Light and Life - Mighty Messenger
  25. 56. Universal Unity - Mighty Messenger and Machiventa

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,135.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Um ... I meant those who actually wrote the words.

Unless, just like A Course in Miracles, it was done by automatic handwriting, and you're giving credit to the prompters.

Upvote 0

Colter

Nov 9, 2004
✟92,791.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
image.jpeg
Um ... I meant those who actually wrote the words.

Unless, just like A Course in Miracles, it was done by automatic handwriting, and you're giving credit to the prompters.
Oh, the Saddlers adopted daughter Christy took dictation. Also, the sleeping subject would write in his sleep. He would wake up in the morning and find huge amounts of writing that he wrote but with no memory. Apparently the entire life of Jesus appeared all at one time.

Upvote 0

Colter

Nov 9, 2004
✟92,791.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
"6,000,000,000 years ago marks the end of the terminal breakup and the birth of your sun, the fifty-sixth from the last of the Andronover second solar family. This final eruption of the nebular nucleus gave birth to 136,702 suns, most of them solitary orbs. The total number of suns and sun systems having origin in the Andronover nebula was 1,013,628. The number of the solar system sun is 1,013,572."

Upvote 0

PsychoSarah

Chaotic Neutral
Jan 13, 2014
✟95,463.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Evidently they forgot to evolve into the two greatest commandments, didn't they?

Or perhaps they should have evolved into the Humanist Manifesto, or the atheists' new ten commandments?
-_- you know all atheists aren't humanists, right? I don't even know enough about "humanism" to even state if I support most of that ideology or not.

Upvote 0

doubtingmerle

I'll think about it.
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2003
Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟467,320.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
If you have a specific question about the material I will try to answer it as I have read it a number of times.
OK, here is my question: How do you know the Urantia Book reveals the source of life is evolution? Since the book was written after Darwin, couldn't the author have simply stated what he had already learned from science?

Upvote 0

doubtingmerle

I'll think about it.
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2003
Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟467,320.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
And here is another question:

65:0.7 It is the integrated functioning of the Life Carriers, the physical controllers, and the spirit adjutants that conditions the course of organic evolution on the inhabited worlds. And this is why evolution—on Urantia or elsewhere—is always purposeful and never accidental.

Then why is it that it looks like evolution is accidental, not purposeful? Why did horse evolution, for instance, lead down so many dead ends, if the intended result was to make horses so kids could have pony rides?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Colter

Nov 9, 2004
✟92,791.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
OK, here is my question: How do you know the Urantia Book reveals the source of life is evolution? Since the book was written after Darwin, couldn't the author have simply stated what he had already learned from science?

I already believed in evolution before I found the UB. Evolution was becoming a settled fact by the time the UB revealed how it began.

The UB reveals that the source of life is God, that the Life Carriers organized the patterns of life right here on earth. The primitive life forms they planted in 3 different places simultaneously prior to the terminal breakup of Pangea, would evolve and that they would foster that evolution.

The revelators were only allowed to reveal certain things in relation to that which man had already discovered. Some of what was revealed was discovered or theorized but not yet validated by science. Continual drift theory was out of favor but theorized at the times of the revelation. However the UB has extensive coverage of continental drift with an explanation of how it works.

101:4.1 "Because your world is generally ignorant of origins, even of physical origins, it has appeared to be wise from time to time to provide instruction in cosmology. And always has this made trouble for the future. The laws of revelation hamper us greatly by their proscription of the impartation of unearned or premature knowledge. Any cosmology presented as a part of revealed religion is destined to be outgrown in a very short time. Accordingly, future students of such a revelation are tempted to discard any element of genuine religious truth it may contain because they discover errors on the face of the associated cosmologies therein presented.

Mankind should understand that we who participate in the revelation of truth are very rigorously limited by the instructions of our superiors. We are not at liberty to anticipate the scientific discoveries of a thousand years. Revelators must act in accordance with the instructions which form a part of the revelation mandate. We see no way of overcoming this difficulty, either now or at any future time. We full well know that, while the historic facts and religious truths of this series of revelatory presentations will stand on the records of the ages to come, within a few short years many of our statements regarding the physical sciences will stand in need of revision in consequence of additional scientific developments and new discoveries. These new developments we even now foresee, but we are forbidden to include such humanly undiscovered facts in the revelatory records. Let it be made clear that revelations are not necessarily inspired. The cosmology of these revelations is
not inspired. It is limited by our permission for the co-ordination and sorting of present-day knowledge. While divine or spiritual insight is a gift, human wisdom must evolve.

101:4.3 Truth is always a revelation: autorevelation when it emerges as a result of the work of the indwelling Adjuster; epochal revelation when it is presented by the function of some other celestial agency, group, or personality.

101:4.4 In the last analysis, religion is to be judged by its fruits, according to the manner and the extent to which it exhibits its own inherent and divine excellence.

101:4.5 Truth may be but relatively inspired, even though revelation is invariably a spiritual phenomenon. While statements with reference to cosmology are never inspired, such revelations are of immense value in that they at least transiently clarify knowledge by:

1. The reduction of confusion by the authoritative elimination of error.
2. The co-ordination of known or about-to-be-known facts and observations.
3. The restoration of important bits of lost knowledge concerning epochal transactions in the distant past.
4. The supplying of information which will fill in vital missing gaps in otherwise earned knowledge.
5. Presenting cosmic data in such a manner as to illuminate the spiritual teachings contained in the accompanying revelation.

RELIGION EXPANDED BY REVELATION

101:5.1 Revelation is a technique whereby ages upon ages of time are saved in the necessary work of sorting and sifting the errors of evolution from the truths of spirit acquirement.

101:5.2 Science deals with facts; religion is concerned only with values. Through enlightened philosophy the mind endeavors to unite the meanings of both facts and values, thereby arriving at a concept of complete reality. Remember that science is the domain of knowledge, philosophy the realm of wisdom, and religion the sphere of the faith experience. But religion, nonetheless, presents two phases of manifestation:

1. Evolutionary religion. The experience of primitive worship, the religion which is a mind derivative.

2. Revealed religion. The universe attitude which is a spirit derivative; the assurance of, and belief in, the conservation of eternal realities, the survival of personality, and the eventual attainment of the cosmic Deity, whose purpose has made all this possible. It is a part of the plan of the universe that, sooner or later, evolutionary religion is destined to receive the spiritual expansion of revelation.

101:5.5 Both science and religion start out with the assumption of certain generally accepted bases for logical deductions. So, also, must philosophy start its career upon the assumption of the reality of three things:

1. The material body.
2. The supermaterial phase of the human being, the soul or even the indwelling spirit.
3. The human mind, the mechanism for intercommunication and interassociation between spirit and matter, between the material and the spiritual.

• Haha
Reactions: HitchSlap
Upvote 0

Colter

Nov 9, 2004
✟92,791.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
And here is another question:

Then why is it that it looks like evolution is accidental, not purposeful? Why did horse evolution, for instance, lead down so many dead ends, if the intended result was to make horses so kids could have pony rides?

This will explain. All things that are evolving contribute to all other things that are evolving even when lines terminate.

The Overcontrol of Evolution: Paper 65, The Urantia Book

Upvote 0

lesliedellow

Sep 20, 2010
United Kingdom
Visit site
✟104,175.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
  1. 32. The Evolution of Local Universes - Mighty Messenger
  2. 33. Administration of the Local Universe - Chief of Archangels
  3. 34. The Local Universe Mother Spirit - Mighty Messenger
  4. 35. The Local Universe Sons of God - Chief of Archangels
  5. 36. The Life Carriers - Vorondadek Son
  6. 37. Personalities of the Local Universe - Brilliant Evening Star
  7. 38. Ministering Spirits of the Local Universe - Melchizedek
  8. 39. The Seraphic Hosts - Melchizedek
  9. 40. The Ascending Sons of God - Mighty Messenger
  10. 41. Physical Aspects of the Local Universe - Archangel
  11. 42. Energy — Mind and Matter - Mighty Messenger
  12. 43. The Constellations - Malavatia Melchizedek
  13. 44. The Celestial Artisans - Archangel
  14. 45. The Local System Administration - Melchizedek
  15. 46. The Local System Headquarters - Archangel
  16. 47. The Seven Mansion Worlds - Brilliant Evening Star
  17. 48. The Morontia Life - Archangel
  18. 49. The Inhabited Worlds - Melchizedek
  19. 50. The Planetary Princes - Secondary Lanonandek
  20. 51. The Planetary Adams - Secondary Lanonandek
  21. 52. Planetary Mortal Epochs - Mighty Messenger
  22. 53. The Lucifer Rebellion - Manovandet Melchizedek
  23. 54. Problems of the Lucifer Rebellion - Mighty Messenger
  24. 55. The Spheres of Light and Life - Mighty Messenger
  25. 56. Universal Unity - Mighty Messenger and Machiventa

Oh sure. That tells me all that I need to know. Even if hey are divinely inspired, I will have physical authors producing physical books, if you don't mind.

Upvote 0

Colter

Nov 9, 2004
✟92,791.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Oh sure. That tells me all that I need to know. Even if hey are divinely inspired, I will have physical authors producing physical books, if you don't mind.
Suite yourself. Ignore then all of the celestial beings involved in the Biblical revelations. The greatest being Christ Michael, who took on a material body and laid it back down again. Then he went back home.

Upvote 0

Colter

Nov 9, 2004
✟92,791.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
We don't think it has any particular significance but FWIW:

Total Solar Eclipse

On Monday, August 21, 2017, all of North America will be treated to an eclipse of the sun. Anyone within the path of totality can see one of nature’s most awe-inspiring sights - a total solar eclipse.

Eclipse: Who? What? Where? When? and How? | Total Solar Eclipse 2017

8. The Birth of Jesus
"All that night Mary was restless so that neither of them slept much. By the break of day the pangs of childbirth were well in evidence, and at noon, August 21, 7 B.C., with the help and kind ministrations of women fellow travelers, Mary was delivered of a male child. Jesus of Nazareth was born into the world, was wrapped in the clothes which Mary brought along for such a possible contingency, and laid in a near-by manger." UB 1955

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

PsychoSarah

Chaotic Neutral
Jan 13, 2014
✟95,463.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Comment: Colter, you have stated that, in this text, 3 places were seeded with life sometime prior to Pangea breaking apart. Now, since organisms on land didn't appear at the same time as organisms that were water bound, I would infer that these 3 locations were all in bodies of water.

Do you believe that life in all 3 locals managed to persist long enough to appear in the fossil record?

Upvote 0

Colter

Nov 9, 2004
✟92,791.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Comment: Colter, you have stated that, in this text, 3 places were seeded with life sometime prior to Pangea breaking apart. Now, since organisms on land didn't appear at the same time as organisms that were water bound, I would infer that these 3 locations were all in bodies of water.

Do you believe that life in all 3 locals managed to persist long enough to appear in the fossil record?
Yes, correct.

"550,000,000 years ago the Life Carrier corps returned to Urantia. In co-operation with spiritual powers and superphysical forces we organized and initiated the original life patterns of this world and planted them in the hospitable waters of the realm. All planetary life (aside from extraplanetary personalities) down to the days of Caligastia, the Planetary Prince, had its origin in our three original, identical, and simultaneous marine-life implantations. These three life implantations have been designated as: the central or Eurasian-African, the eastern or Australasian, and the western,embracing Greenland and the Americas."

58:4.3 500,000,000 years ago primitive marine vegetable life was well established on Urantia. Greenland and the arctic land mass, together with North and South America, were beginning their long and slow westward drift. Africamoved slightly south, creating an east and west trough, the Mediterranean basin, between itself and the mother body. Antarctica, Australia, and the land indicated by the islands of the Pacificbroke away on the south and east and have drifted far away since that day.

58:4.4 We had planted the primitive form of marine life in the sheltered tropic bays of the central seas of the east-west cleavage of the breaking-up continental land mass. Our purpose in making three marine-life implantations was to insure that each great land mass would carry this life with it, in its warm-water seas, as the land subsequently separated. We foresaw that in the later era of the emergence of land life large oceans of water would separate these drifting continental land masses." UB

Upvote 0

doubtingmerle

I'll think about it.
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2003
Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟467,320.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
This will explain. All things that are evolving contribute to all other things that are evolving even when lines terminate.

The Overcontrol of Evolution: Paper 65, The Urantia Book
Wait, horses evolved down all those dead ends on purpose because somehow those dead ends contributed to all other things? That seems like an ad hoc explanation for all the diversions that nature took in the course of evolution.

Multiplying ad hoc explanations to cover where the original explanation fails is not a sign that we are on the right track. William of Occam figured that out long ago.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
  • Winner
Reactions: AV1611VET
Upvote 0

doubtingmerle

I'll think about it.
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2003
Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟467,320.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
How about the originator of the pagan heresy ? >> simple: the devil. totally opposed to Jesus, and seeking to kill/ destroy all souls.
Interesting. So the Urantia Book was written by the devil, who was seeking to destroy souls?

If that is so, why does not Colter agree with you?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.