wayseer

Jun 10, 2008
Maryborough, QLD, Australia
✟11,131.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Did you ever question why God would knowingly create this world, knowing beforehand that in the end he would torture the majority of his creation? Why would any same being create knowing in the end his plan would be ruined by Satan and he lost to evil. In your world...Satan and evil wins.

Job struggled with those same issues. There is nothing new in your premise.

Sadly man had lowered God to his level, made him worse than Hitler or Stalin. Really we would be better off to just kill all children before they grew up, since most will reject Christ...at least it would save them from being tortured by their creator.

But that is exactly what you are doing. What you are doing is working backwards from a position which you have yet to establish. If life is to have any meaning for you then God has to act is a particular way. At least Job struggled with the problem - what you have done, and what universalism encourages, is to changed God into your alta ego and everything will be dandy.

Upvote 0

timlamb

Senior Veteran
Feb 22, 2006
Entiat Washington
✟11,480.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
You have obvious done little study on UR or the history of hell and the church. These are the common simple arguments that you bring forth and not even the deeper arguments that can be debated in reference to ET.
We got into a complex deep debate over all these issues about 6 months ago with sincere people from both sides. I'll try and find that thread. All your questions are easily answered with scripture, but you have to take the time.

Did you ever question why God would knowingly create this world, knowing beforehand that in the end he would torture the majority of his creation? Why would any same being create knowing in the end his plan would be ruined by Satan and he lost to evil. In your world...Satan and evil wins.
Is that complete love. Sadly man had lowered God to his level, made him worse than Hitler or Stalin. Really we would be better off to just kill all children before they grew up, since most will reject Christ...at least it would save them from being tortured by their creator.

In your world the majority of people went to the alter not out of wanting a relationship with Christ, just scared of being tortured forever. Sadly fear works....the pagans knew that.

In your world Satan wins and evil endures forever. Thankfully, God will destroy all evil and reconcile all things to himself through Christ.
You say scripture will answer these things but don't offer any. You accuse me of wanting to scare people into belief while you claim they get tortured into it. Do you warn people of your belief that if they don't repent they will be tortured for all they have done and more intill they give in? If that is what you believe and you are not warning them what kind of compassion is that?
The one thing you refuse to believe because it ruins your case is that people are hard hearted enough and stuck in their own desires that no amount of torture will change them, they will only be hardened. The other is that the good that exists in people is God given and when they are out of His presence that will be gone and they will suffer because they can think nothing but evil. God doesn't say He will punish them but that they will be in a place of torment and the torment always seems to be tied to the presence of satan; the place they go was not made for man but for satan.
You uni's are so sold on this although the bible says nothing about anyone returning from the fire. Your desparation comes out in your accusations and reasoning that God would not creat a man who would leave Him to suffer forever, that the making of man was an unloving thing. What about those of us who love Him and want to live, should we be denied because other rebel? Is not a love freely given worth a high price? See, all this comes from the philosophy of it, we reduce God to our reasoning.

I just look at the facts: God made us and gave us a choice. He forgave us for making bad choices and offers each of us open arms to run into. Your scenario of going into the evil place and dragging your kid out kicking a screaming to save him just doesn't work. If you've shone him and offered all your love and all your life to him and he has rejected you then you do no one any good to wrestle with his will against your own. And it isn't just what he is doing to himself but to your other children, eventualy you must lock him away. I do believe in a loving God who already did everything to save His children, He gave His life, became a man and let His children kill Him. He slept in the dung heap along side us and begged and pleaded...some responded and others shook their fists and said "leave me alone, I will not follow you". And God was hurt. You see Him as evil and I see Him as the most loving and pure and righteous and just...why did He make us, the bunch of ungrateful fools who question his every move and even His right to do what He does? I don't know, and it seems to me He almost wiped us out once and then gave us another chance. Why can't God make a perfect being who wants to be good? I don't know that either. Maybe because if He made you anything then you did not chose to be it, maybe if He made you able to love perfectly then you would love from you head and not your heart. Maybe He did make what He wanted, a perfect kind of being; some one who can chose not to follow or love or worship Him, but will, by choice. And maybe this is where Faith comes in, we just have to trust that He did something wonderful when He made us

Last edited:
Upvote 0

timlamb

Senior Veteran
Feb 22, 2006
Entiat Washington
✟11,480.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
And you still didn't answer to this:
Originally Posted by timlamb
I've heard this arguement before. What uni's don't get or don't admit, is that the same word is used for heaven or eternal life. So if the interpretation applies to the torture, it must apply to endless time with Christ, so either both are eternal or neither are. The other problem is that and "age' denotes a period of time. In the eternal, time is no more. Or it could be said, the last age IS eternal.

Upvote 0

Armistead

Veteran
Aug 11, 2007
NC
✟2,439.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Job struggled with those same issues. There is nothing new in your premise.

But that is exactly what you are doing. What you are doing is working backwards from a position which you have yet to establish. If life is to have any meaning for you then God has to act is a particular way. At least Job struggled with the problem - what you have done, and what universalism encourages, is to changed God into your alta ego and everything will be dandy.

Not working backwards, seeking truth. I would expect God would want me to be honest to myself and him. My questions led to years of study, thus led me to UR. I'm much closer to God now than I've ever been. I don't need to create a doctrine to fit an ego. If I were to accept eternal torture just to please you or others it would be a lie, so why would I do that.

One thing I know, I doubt you spent 4 years in study on the issue. It took that long before I openly told others. The truth is you haven't studied the issue. Lay both beliefs out and compare them side by side. I have sat down with ET Pastors for hours and none can answer the truth.

Hell with demons and torture is a pagan concept. I will follow God, not pagan beliefs that make people come to God out of fear.

I understand your belief. I'm sure I pushed it harder than you did. I know the doctrine inside out. Why not take time to honestly study UR. The truth is when anyone honesly takes the time they will never go back to ET. The problem is most can't look past doctrines of their denomination and like sheep to the slaughter believe whatever they're told.

If one person really wants to debate this, let me know.

Upvote 0

wayseer

Jun 10, 2008
Maryborough, QLD, Australia
✟11,131.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Not working backwards, seeking truth.

Is that not what we all claim?

I don't have any particular quarrel with your belief - that's a matter for you, but I do have a problem with this;

The truth is you haven't studied the issue.

Now how on earth would know what I have or have not studied?

I have little doubt that if I laid any number of doctrines out side by side as you suggest I would convenience myself that being an atheist was the only ratuional alternative.

I will follow God, not pagan beliefs that make people come to God out of fear.

Now you seem to be following Dawkins - I did not 'come to God' through any sense of fear - I came to God because he first loved me. I cannot rationalize what I just said - nor will I trot out that experience for others to measure and weigh and then compare with some ideology to see if it measures with their particular concept of truth.

The truth is when anyone honesly takes the time they will never go back to ET.

What is ET - established theology? I cannot see any benefit in UT other than it is more in tune with popular human rights agendas.

The problem is most can't look past doctrines of their denomination and like sheep to the slaughter believe whatever they're told.

Hmmm - and you know that as truth? Perhaps 'most' of us, your definition, are willing to be lead by the Good Shepherd even if it is to slaughter and not by some populists' agenda.

Upvote 0

stranger

Site Supporter
Oct 12, 2003
crying in the wilderness of life
✟7,026.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Greens
Just wanting to kickstart another discussion of universalism, as controversial as it is.

I'm sympathetic to the movement myself, but not enough to count myself among their number (yet, perhaps). I do find it practically impossible to be joyful if I include the doctrine of hell in my theology. I find it equally impossible to be melancholy if I remove the doctrine of hell in my theology.

I'm currently digging around some of the early (pre-Augustine) church fathers who did not support a doctrine of hell; I'm also looking in to Carlton Pearson's book 'The Gospel of Inclusion'.

Let's talk.

Why not listen to the earliest 'church father', Jesus' doctrine about hell ? :-

Revelation 20:13 And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.

Perhaps some 12 billion, who died sinners , but death and hell cannot hold them... according to Jesus

They have all paid the penalty, the wages of their sin is death :-

Romans 6:23 For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

If they were already judged beyond redemption then why would God trouble to resurrect them from hell to judge them by works after they were freed from sin in this life by their death? :-

Romans 6:7 For he that is dead is freed from sin.

Many who have died sinners never even heard of Jesus in this life, what Jesus says is that they will be tried by their works after resurrection , along with all other sinners .

Jesus will take no-one to himself until they cease from sinning , he says so :-

Matthew 7:23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

The foundation of God is to OBEY Jesus as Lord, to love, not to continue unlovingness, sin. Sinners are disobeying Jesus, so plainly he is not their lord because they do not obey him :-

Luke 6:46 And why call ye me, Lord, Lord, and do not the things which I say?

Romans 2:13 For not the hearers of the law are just before God, but the doers of the law shall be justified.

James 1:22 But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves.
Jesus told us what the command of the law is, put simply it is to love , sin is breaking the law, sin is any unlovingness ...

All Jesus and the saints are saying is that one cannot be accepted by God if one is still unloving in one's acts, not in any of them...

James 2:10 For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all.

Clearly most people have not and will not be acceptable to God from this life, and indeed the scripture states just that in Matt 7:14

BUT Jesus says that not just the few are saved who are made acceptable to God by the new covenant in this life, but countless many are saved by works afterward, after death as sinners , but not when the few are saved [since the few have to be first as their role is as priests and kings serving the countless many later saved]:-

Rev 7:9 After this I beheld, and, lo, a great multitude, which no man could number, of all nations, and kindreds, and people, and tongues, stood before the throne, and before the Lamb, clothed with white robes, and palms in their hands;
10 And cried with a loud voice, saying, Salvation to our God which sitteth upon the throne, and unto the Lamb.

There we have it then, much modern religion run by sinners , not saints, tells sinners that the many who go by the broad way through destruction in death are then mindlessly tortured for some mythical infinity of time... Jesus tells us that countless many are saved , not just the few who are firstfruits.

It is just logic that divided religion has fallen away from the truth , many so-called 'truths' simply cannot be one truth [of God]... but just reading what Jesus says shows how far religion in all denominations has lost the teachings of Jesus and the saints and believes in doctrines of sinners in our time... indeed Jesus and the saints said and showed why that it must happen ...

One cannot thus find the truth from modern religion of sinners, one must go back and read the scripture of the saints and Jesus and the prophets of God [or wait upon God for spirit baptism to reveal all truth -John 16:13- as promised to all flesh -Joel 2:28- , but clearly most already died without receiving all truth in this life , it proves that god will baptise the many after resurrection of sinners freed from sin , so that they may be redeemed by works at judgment day!

It is Jesus who says the many are saved afterward, not just the few who are first... one must decide whether to believe Jesus or religious tradition ...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

timlamb

Senior Veteran
Feb 22, 2006
Entiat Washington
✟11,480.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
So where in those verses is hell expressed as 'eternal'?
That list of cut up, out of context scripture is a hack job.
It quoted Revelation 20:13 but left out the next two verses on purpose:
Revelation 20:14-15 (New International Version)

14Then death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. The lake of fire is the second death. 15If anyone's name was not found written in the book of life, he was thrown into the lake of fire.

Gross mis-interpretation, I don't have time to tackle tham all. And it would be a waste of time anyway.

Upvote 0

stranger

Site Supporter
Oct 12, 2003
✟7,026.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Greens
So where in those verses is hell expressed as 'eternal'?

The word here translated 'hell' simply means the 'unseen' state of the dead... since all the dead are resurrected from 'hell' according to jesus there , then it is not 'eternal'...

Perhaps it is as wel to realise that time was created , that the creator is time-less and time ends when our space-time universe ends:-

Revelation 21:1 And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away;

Thus there is no eternity of time, time has beginning and end , it is not infinite...

The words often translated with such terms as 'eternal', 'forever', and so forth are better rendered as age-lasting ... it is a seriously misleading translation mistake that has given rise to a whole doctrine about 'hell' which is inconsistent with what Jesus says about 'hell' giving up its billions of dead sinners and their being given then an opportunity to do loving works by which they will be judged, ministered to after resurrection by those first resurrected to be kings and priests of the kingdom come, who were saints in this earth .

Upvote 0

timlamb

Senior Veteran
Feb 22, 2006
Entiat Washington
✟11,480.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
it is a seriously misleading translation mistake that has given rise to a whole doctrine about 'hell' which is inconsistent with what Jesus says about 'hell' giving up its billions of dead sinners and their being given then an opportunity to do loving works by which they will be judged, ministered to after resurrection by those first resurrected to be kings and priests of the kingdom come, who were saints in this earth .
Outragous and completely unscriptural.
I feel sorry for you guys. Hacking away at scripture is bad enough, but adding text is strictly forbidden.

You got one thing right, the last age IS eternal, but no where in scripture does it say sinners come back. It says everyone is brought from their place for the great throne judgement and all whos name is not in the book of life are thrown into the lake of fire along with satan, and death and hadies. The new heaven and new earth come after the last judgement. No one stands before the judge after they are thrown into the lake of fire. And revelation 21:8 puts the emphasis on it:
Revelation 21:8 (New International Version)

8But the cowardly, the unbelieving, the vile, the murderers, the sexually immoral, those who practice magic arts, the idolaters and all liars—their place will be in the fiery lake of burning sulfur. This is the second death."

That is it, done, sorry, hard news to swallow, but anything else is a lie from satan.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

stranger

Site Supporter
Oct 12, 2003
✟7,026.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Greens
That list of cut up, out of context scripture is a hack job.
It quoted Revelation 20:13 but left out the next two verses on purpose:
Revelation 20:14-15 (New International Version)

14Then death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. The lake of fire is the second death. 15If anyone's name was not found written in the book of life, he was thrown into the lake of fire.

Gross mis-interpretation, I don't have time to tackle tham all. And it would be a waste of time anyway.

That people are resurrected from hell again after a seecond death for continued sin [not good works] after their resurrection ...to suffer a final trial in the lake of 'fire' is frankly irrelevant to the argument presented above ...

It is certainly a subject worthy of discussion, and there is muchh of scripture that can be brought to bear, but I felt it was just too much to include it all in one post...

The arguments as presented are Jesus' words and those of the saints , presented as concisely as I could , not to be dismissed so lightly...

Upvote 0

timlamb

Senior Veteran
Feb 22, 2006
Entiat Washington
✟11,480.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
That people are resurrected from hell again after a seecond death for continued sin [not good works] after their resurrection ...to suffer a final trial in the lake of 'fire' is frankly irrelevant to the argument presented above ...

It is certainly a subject worthy of discussion, and there is muchh of scripture that can be brought to bear, but I felt it was just too much to include it all in one post...

The arguments as presented are Jesus' words and those of the saints , presented as concisely as I could , not to be dismissed so lightly...
Sorry, but read Revelation chapters 20-21 all together and in one peice and you get a much different message than what you were implying.

Upvote 0

stranger

Site Supporter
Oct 12, 2003
✟7,026.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Greens
Sorry, but read Revelation chapters 20-21 all together and in one peice and you get a much different message than what you were implying.

Sorry , but if you read these chapters in the context of the whole scripture [as it MUST be one truth if the word of God] , as I began to explain above, then you would get a different picture...

Upvote 0

timlamb

Senior Veteran
Feb 22, 2006
Entiat Washington
✟11,480.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Sorry , but if you read these chapters in the context of the whole scripture [as it MUST be one truth if the word of God] , as I began to explain above, then you would get a different picture...
That would imply that two full chapters of the bible read independantly, could convey a non biblical thought, I disagree. But then I disagree that in any way shape or form you could read Revelation 20-21 even with a full belief in Universal Salvation, and come or with confermation of that belief. Not without ignoring much of the text, just as you did.

Upvote 0

daydreamergurl15

Daughter of the King
Dec 11, 2003
✟15,656.00
Faith
Christian
I do not share the same reaction that you do, it seems. This life sucks; that much is certainly true. Yet, while I can be assured of my own salvation, I wonder about the people who will not be saved, who will be eternally tormented. How can I be happy if, caring for these people, they burn while I am in heaven? Forever, there will be pain and suffering. Forever, there will be a burning abyss containing some of my dear friends.

A denial of the existence of hell doesn't necessarily lead to a hippie drug-fest.

I think that's why preaching the gospel is so important. Because we do not have to live our eternal life away from God. He has provided a way, through the sacrifice of His Son, so that we can have the right to be called His children.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

stranger

Site Supporter
Oct 12, 2003
✟7,026.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Greens
That would imply that two full chapters of the bible read independantly, could convey a non biblical thought, I disagree. But then I disagree that in any way shape or form you could read Revelation 20-21 even with a full belief in Universal Salvation, and come or with confermation of that belief. Not without ignoring much of the text, just as you did.

Well friend, I can hardly believe that you think I have not read Revelation and say so in public without providing any scriptural evidence for your claims which I have shown to be untrue by quoting scripture ...

thus it is time you got out your bible and started discussing the basis of your wild claims using the scriptiure, not your surmising....

This is a lace for discussion backed by scripture as I have presented, you have not offered anything to support your incredible assertion that I do not know the Revelation of Jesus Christ [after in fact some thirity years bible study and prayer/meditation about God's truth since he caused me to begin to understand His word]

So please explain yourself using the scripture and then we can discuss, your blank accusations and assertions without any support are of no use here ...

Upvote 0

stranger

Site Supporter
Oct 12, 2003
✟7,026.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Greens
I think that's why preaching the gospel is so important. Because we do not have to live our eternal life away from God. He has provided a way, through the sacrifice of His Son, so that we can have the right to be called His children.

What do you think the gospel is ?

Did you ever read the new covenant that says that unmerited forgiveness [grace] is for those whose 'fathers' broke the old covenant , Israel ? [Heb 8:8-12]

Did you ever notice that Jesus said he will not take [at his return] anyone who hasn't stopped sinning? that he never 'knew' anyone who is still a sinner

Matthew 7:23 And then will I profess unto them, depart from me, I never knew you:ye that work iniquity.

Discussion on when the many sinners are saved, and how :-
http://www.christianforums.com/t7363399/#post51533068

Upvote 0

Hentenza

I will fear no evil for You are with me
Mar 27, 2007
On the bus to Heaven
✟60,078.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Preaching the Gospel doesn't magically make people go to heaven. Some people choose not to follow Jesus for what seems like very good reasons (such as, they aren't convinced).

But logically that alone disproves the theory of universalism. God created a real world with real beings which have the free will to accept Him or reject Him. God loves us all and will not drag anyone kicking and screaming to heaven. There are no second chances. Either we accept Him in this life or forever suffer away from His presence.

Upvote 0

Hentenza

I will fear no evil for You are with me
Mar 27, 2007
On the bus to Heaven
✟60,078.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
What do you think the gospel is ?

Did you ever read the new covenant that says that unmerited forgiveness [grace] is for those whose 'fathers' broke the old covenant , Israel ? [Heb 8:8-12]

Did you ever notice that Jesus said he will not take [at his return] anyone who hasn't stopped sinning? that he never 'knew' anyone who is still a sinner

Matthew 7:23 And then will I profess unto them, depart from me, I never knew you:ye that work iniquity.

Discussion on when the many sinners are saved, and how :-
http://www.christianforums.com/t7363399/#post51533068

Matthew 7:23 is talking about false prophets not sinners in general. See verse 15.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.