PNW
Visit site
✟31,962.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I started having major theological opinion changes the more I read scripture. When I read scripture and it did not line up with what I was taught I'd pray and ask God to show me the answer in his word and scriptures would start jumping out of ever teaching I heard even when totally on another subject. A little changing of the scripture wording was noticed and it slammed me up side the head with questions.

Probably the "unequally yoked" thing is bugging me the most right now. I see people apply it to marriage more than anything and yet they use all kinds of business transactions with unbelievers and corporations, even doctors and lawyers that are not saved. I'm not planning on hiding away - but seriously. How is one to draw a line of separation and who gets to decide who is saved and who is not? I mean if they act saved and say they are not isn't that better than if they say they are saved/believe and act unsaved?

We have aquaintences : a believer married to an unbeliever per se' but at the same time they go to church together, fellowship together, bible study together and the guy still doesn't believe there is a God - just alligned himself with his Bride and called it good enough. Kind of like Ruth - she did not say she believed in Naomi's god just that she would make him her God.
http://www.scripture4all.org/OnlineInterlinear/NTpdf/2co6.pdf

It appears a reference to idol worshippers and believers not being yoked together.

Bananna

jimmyl

Mar 18, 2009
✟15,246.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I think the point is that you don't want to be teamed up with someone who has contrary goals. In the extreme example, If you are a devout believer you don't want to marry someone who is hostile to God, because you will either have to abandon your faith or deal with hostility from your spouse. In the example that you gave, where the husband doesn't believe in God but still supports his wife's belief and goes to church with her: well, good. Maybe through her influence he will eventually believe. It's easier to understand general principles than it is to look at a specific situation and say, "Should they have done that?" Thank goodness we aren't required to make decisions for others.

The "unequally yoked" thing is really something you can only look at before you get married, I think. After you get married, it's a little late to be thinking about it, and I certainly don't think any believer would be in the right to go to a couple and say, "You are unequally yoked. This marriage needs to end."

Also, I do think that this verse has a lot of application beyond simply marriage. It is about who you identify yourself with. As a believer you shouldn't identify yourself with those who are opposed to God.

Upvote 0

&Abel

Aug 16, 2008
✟12,921.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
not just hostility but persecution

the spirits driving the spouse to hate God will manifest themselves as hatred towards their partner(who contains His Spirit)

it will attempt to derail any good they attempt whether the spouse is aware of it or not

it would be very difficult

especially in these times

Upvote 0

dayhiker

Mature veteran
Sep 13, 2006
MA
✟220,077.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Some interesting thoughts have been posted.

My general take is that a believer not making a covenant with an idol worshipper. That doesn't say one cann't be freinds or buy and sell something from/do an idol worshiper. That's the context I read the Bible in. But a wise person wouldn't avoid a convenant with a lier, a theif and similar tpye persons.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gareth

Jan 3, 2008
South Woodham Ferrers, Essex.
✟9,834.00
Faith
Jehovahs Witness
Marital Status
Single
We all need to be able to have to live in this world. Jesus preached to those who were at that time in an unsaved condition. Paul and others did to. But being unevenly yoked is a serious thing especially when relationships are involved. Some have said that no-one has the right to tell them who they can see or date or marry. Yet the statement reads true when the Bible says, "Marry only in the Lord." Do you think the Bible writer had nothing else to write on at that moment? The statement is made to protect everyone both the individual and the congregation. If someone doesn't share your faith or even worse comes to oppose your faith (no matter how good looking they are), how can one be spiritually upbuilt at home or engage in spiritual study, prayer and meditation when "the other half" resents what we do? So only marrying someone who is spritually strong and has good spiritual habits will offset many of the issues that come to those who marry outside the faith.

Upvote 0

Zechariah

Senior Veteran
Nov 14, 2006
Visit site
✟19,641.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Whenever in doubt, follow the example of Jesus, as others have indicated. It makes things far less complicated.

First, there is no need to concern oneself with who is saved and who is not. That is the Lord's domain to determine anyway. What's more, there is no need to draw a line of separation. Jesus was and is the example of one who is not unequally yoked, but one who is perfectly yoked with his Father, always doing his Father's will in all things, and teaching us to do the same. Jesus did not shun sinners, only sin. He did not refuse to associate with those who were different, but was a perfect example of love toward them, teaching us to do likewise. The parable of the Good Samaritan is a beautiful example of this.

Jesus lived in the world, but he was not of the world. He associated with those who were of the world, but he did not take on their ways. Instead, he treated them with goodness and taught by example. This is the same way all disciples of Christ should strive to live their lives in their interactions with others. Man must live in the world, and practicality dictates that he must also associate with those who are of the world, but he need not take on their ways. He can, though, be an example that can help to change the ways of others.

Of course, if one has a weakness that may cause him to easily succumb to temptation, he would be wise to avoid associations that could put him at risk, but to avoid associating with others because they don't now know, or accept, Christ, or because one thinks to pass his personal judgment on their saved or unsaved status, rather defeats the purpose, and means, of helping to bring others to Christ, in the first place.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.