Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You know very well that three vaccines have been authorized by the FDA, as well as recommended by the CDC, for use in the USA for people fifteen and older.

yes, I know they were authorized December 12, 2020.

That’s my point. Nancy did not promote their use until AFTER Trump left office. More than a full month after they were authorized.

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟702,474.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟12,509.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
yes, I know they were authorized December 12, 2020.

That’s my point. Nancy did not promote their use until AFTER Trump left office. More than a full month after they were authorized.
More than a month? No, it was 5 days. From your link:
PelosiStatement said:
Pelosi Statement on COVID-19 Vaccine
December 17, 2020
“This week has been one of great hope, as the FDA has announced an Emergency Use Authorization for a coronavirus vaccine, with a second vaccine expected to be authorized as soon as tomorrow. All Americans should have full confidence in the vaccines, knowing that they were reviewed and recommended by the FDA’s advisory panel’s independent experts.

“According to government continuity guidelines, Congressional Leadership has been informed by the Office of the Attending Physician that Members of the House and Senate are eligible for a COVID-19 vaccine. The Attending Physician further stated to Members ‘My recommendation to you is absolutely unequivocal: there is no reason why you should defer receiving this vaccine.’ With confidence in the vaccine and at the direction of the Attending Physician, I plan to receive the vaccine in the next few days.

• Winner
Reactions: ArmenianJohn
Upvote 0

ArmenianJohn

Politically Liberal Christian Fundamentalist
Jan 30, 2013
New Jersey (NYC Metro)
✟205,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Right, that is why I said I was 100% incorrect.
So then who have the anti-vaxxers been listening to if it wasn't Pelosi? (That theory is now completely blown out of the water.)

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟702,474.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So then who have the anti-vaxxers been listening to if it wasn't Pelosi? (That theory is now completely blown out of the water.)

Possibly they are going with Nancy’s original statements, possibly the media, possibly nobody.
We would have to ask them.

Upvote 0

ArmenianJohn

Jan 30, 2013
New Jersey (NYC Metro)
✟205,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Possibly they are going with Nancy’s original statements, possibly the media, possibly nobody.
We would have to ask them.
Well since you used them as your proof then you (not we) would have to ask them. And you should do that before making a statement where you use them as proof. If you don't do that first you can likely end up being wrong, as in this case. It makes me wonder how many other times you offer something as proof without truly knowing the reality of it and it affects your credibility. Even now, your suggestion that it still may be ("possibly") the original proof you provided makes me wonder about how credible your evidence is - not that you're lying but that you are not checking things out thoroughly prior to asserting them as proof.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
184592059_303961081314426_8104705265738183111_n.jpg

Reactions: ArmenianJohn
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ArmenianJohn

Jan 30, 2013
New Jersey (NYC Metro)
✟205,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
After reading that person's message I can see why nobody wants to work for that person in particular. I wouldn't. Bad enough they pay way too little and then you have to deal with that person's arrogant and selfish attitude? Angry because nobody will work for the chicken feed they're paying and then playing the victim to whine about it. "Poor me, poor me, I'm the victim of these lazy people who won't work because [politics]."

Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟839,713.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
There are lots of polls.

The 19% of anti-vaxxers are mainly those of the Republican base. they listen to Trump, his lackeys, or to conspiracy theorists.

Almost all Democrats will take the vaccine, or say that they will.

The issue for now are those who are hesitant, not sure, not ready. These are mainly independents. Those who party affiliations are just as likely to be Democratic as Republicans.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,206,893.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It's an interesting paradox... Biden has floated the $15 min wage idea.

With the advancements in automation technology, minimum wage increases mandates won't have the same net impact that they would've had 30 years ago.

Even the CBO has acknowledged that a $15 minimum wage could have some detriments.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/02/08/rai...would-cost-1point4-million-jobs-cbo-says.html

The net trade-off would be
Pro: you lift 900,000 people out of poverty
Con: 1.4 million jobs lost by 2025

So, unless someone has an air-tight plan to create 1.4 million jobs over the next 4 years (that can't be easily automated away), that swift of an increase to the minimum wage could have a downside.

If you're looking to increase the minimum wage (which I'm not entirely opposed to), the key is selecting the right amount to increase it by.

It can't be so low that it basically has no effect (very few people actually work for minimum wage in comparison to the overall labor force)
80.4 million workers age 16 and older in the United States were paid at hourly rates, representing 58.3 percent of all wage and salary workers. Among those paid by the hour, 542,000 workers earned exactly the prevailing federal minimum wage of $7.25 per hour.

...so raising the minimum wage to, say, 8.25 an hour is unlikely to have any sort of dramatic impact as the number of people making between 7.25 and 8.25 is pretty small.

However, if you make it such a dramatic increase, that a business owner looks at the numbers, and realizes that it's cheaper to hire a few additional software developers and invest in some equipment to automate than to give a substantial portion of their employees a massive raise, then that's what they're gonna do.

Or, in meme-format:
upload_2021-5-10_23-37-40.png

So the key is finding the right balance. My gut tells me they should be targeting something more in the ballpark of $9.25/hour to test the waters and observe the net impact for a few years before trying to make the jump to $15/hour.

That also gives small business more time to adjust... Let's be honest Walmart and Target can absorb those increases in labor costs quite easily based on the number of "units moved" in comparison to the number of employees. Walmart could simply increase the price on everything they sold by a couple cents, and entirely offset the new labor costs. A small regional grocery store wouldn't have that luxury. ...and I can't imagine that "worker advocates" would be too keen on supporting measures that would make big box retailers have an even greater advantage over "the little guy".

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟839,713.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I favor a federal minimum wage for federal workers. I don't think that there is a reason for DC to determine the minimum wage for rural Wyoming.

That being said, a federal increase to $15M is workable if it implemented gradually, as is being done in FL (yes, I said FL).
============
Personally, I'm not sure it is worth saving $8 an hour jobs. If restaurants are forced to pay $10 an hour rising to $15M, many small restaurants that are paying slave wages will close. The demand for
eating out doesn't change. The workers would end up working at restaurants that paid more. And yes, we would likely lose that bargain basement lunch at the Chinese restaurant.

Finally, there could be exceptions for young workers, although I'm not sure that this is a good idea.
================
In the end, a national $15 minimum wage now is just the kind of elitism that the Republicans complain about. The Democrats in the rich states in the Northeast and West want to push this through. The rich Democratic states will be fine. The poor Republican states will suffer any problems. Rich Republican states (FL and TX) will figure out how to make such a standard work.

It's an interesting paradox... Biden has floated the $15 min wage idea.

With the advancements in automation technology, minimum wage increases mandates won't have the same net impact that they would've had 30 years ago.

Even the CBO has acknowledged that a $15 minimum wage could have some detriments.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/02/08/rai...would-cost-1point4-million-jobs-cbo-says.html

The net trade-off would be
Pro: you lift 900,000 people out of poverty
Con: 1.4 million jobs lost by 2025

So, unless someone has an air-tight plan to create 1.4 million jobs over the next 4 years (that can't be easily automated away), that swift of an increase to the minimum wage could have a downside.

If you're looking to increase the minimum wage (which I'm not entirely opposed to), the key is selecting the right amount to increase it by.

It can't be so low that it basically has no effect (very few people actually work for minimum wage in comparison to the overall labor force)
80.4 million workers age 16 and older in the United States were paid at hourly rates, representing 58.3 percent of all wage and salary workers. Among those paid by the hour, 542,000 workers earned exactly the prevailing federal minimum wage of $7.25 per hour.

...so raising the minimum wage to, say, 8.25 an hour is unlikely to have any sort of dramatic impact as the number of people making between 7.25 and 8.25 is pretty small.

However, if you make it such a dramatic increase, that a business owner looks at the numbers, and realizes that it's cheaper to hire a few additional software developers and invest in some equipment to automate than to give a substantial portion of their employees a massive raise, then that's what they're gonna do.

Or, in meme-format:
View attachment 298974

So the key is finding the right balance. My gut tells me they should be targeting something more in the ballpark of $9.25/hour to test the waters and observe the net impact for a few years before trying to make the jump to $15/hour.

That also gives small business more time to adjust... Let's be honest Walmart and Target can absorb those increases in labor costs quite easily based on the number of "units moved" in comparison to the number of employees. Walmart could simply increase the price on everything they sold by a couple cents, and entirely offset the new labor costs. A small regional grocery store wouldn't have that luxury. ...and I can't imagine that "worker advocates" would be too keen on supporting measures that would make big box retailers have an even greater advantage over "the little guy".

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

jardiniere

Oct 14, 2006
✟152,266.00
Faith
Pantheist
[QUOTE="hislegacy, post: 75940316, member: 169010"(snip)
my first job was a dish washer. In 1975 I made a whopping 1.75 an hour.[/QUOTE]

That would currently be just shy of 10 dollars an hour today.

[/QUOTE]I held that job until I graduated high school and got my first full time job in 1977 making a whopping 3.75 an hour.(snip)[/QUOTE]

Today, that would be just shy of 20 dollars straight out of high school.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Good news about general strikes... they seem to work.

McDonald's Raising US Workers' Pay in Company-Owned Stores | Snopes.com

McDonald’s is raising pay at 650 company-owned stores in the U.S. as part of its push to hire thousands of new workers in a tight labor market.

The fast-food giant is also encouraging its franchisees — which make up 95% of its restaurant base — to boost pay.

McDonald’s is the latest restaurant chain to announce pay raises. Chipotle said Monday it will raise workers’ pay to an average of $15 per hour by the end of June. Darden Restaurants, the owner of Olive Garden and other chains, said it March that it will guarantee workers $12 per hour including tips by 2023.

Amazon, Costco and other big companies have also announced pay raises in recent weeks

Score one for the workers...

Upvote 0