Jan 29, 2010
✟830,515.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
In many areas of the country, the minimum wage should be $20 an hour. Of course, this would force up prices, but that's fine. It does not follow that rural Wyoming should be forced to have a $15 minimum wage.

Yes, the poor need $300 a week. As a great economist once said, if that is the issue, give them the money. This has nothing to do with giving folks $500 a week ($300 plus unemployment) to stay home from their jobs.

You want the federal government to control many aspects of the US economy. The US economy is simply too large for that to work. This is more possible in states that are larger economies that almost all European countries.

You say you're a liberal but you have a very conservative stance on this issue. That's the problem with the Democratic party today - it's no longer liberal, it's conservative. The entire nation has shifted so far to the right that many democrats felt it's necessary to become conservative.

$15/hour minimum wage is necessary - in fact it should be $20 or higher to be truly fair. It is proven to boost the economy where it has been implemented. The trickle-down myths of the conservatives are atrocious and way too many Democrats fall for those myths and become conservative.

In NY, a $15/hour worker would qualify for $300 a week, which is half their regular $600 a week gross. On top of that, they would not have whatever benefits they would have had, and if that is medical then they are looking at minimum of $1,000 more a month just to COBRA their medical and upwards of that for getting something on the healthcare marketplace (another botched garbage shortfall from Obamacare ,aka Romneycare). Or, of course, they can get on (or in many/most cases remain on) Medicaid, which we pay for out of our taxes anyway.

The Federal $300 unemployment is absolutely necessary for the unemployed at every level, ESPECIALLY the lowest levels. Or we can do the conservative plan of let the chips fall where they may and let people go bankrupt, lose their homes, etc. and then prop them up after they've lost everything with more social safety nets which then would be a bandage on a bullet wound.

Of course, the same Democratic Party is largely to blame for the healthcare problem to begin with by continuing to object to universal healthcare in order to protect their wealthy ,corporate healthcare special-interest donors and lobbyists - something else they have in common with their conservative counterparts.

I'm perfectly fine with everyone having their own opinions and you having your opinion on this issue - I can agree to disagree. But your stance is not that of a liberal, it's that of a conservative.

As for the unemployment, the low wages permitted by the low minimum wage are now catching up with the labor market and affecting the economy. The $15 minimum wage was meant to pre-empt this from happening but it's too late. It's not even adequate if it were to go through, at this point. If Wendy's and other notorious under-payers want to have people work for them they will need to pay more.

Funny how In-N-Out burger and other far more successful fast-food places that destroy Wendy's and McDonald's are having no problem retaining and attracting employees, delivering a better product at a much lower price, and still paying $17 to $19 an hour PLUS benefits...

Conservatives need to stop blaming the workers who are overworked and underpaid and start blaming the garbage businesses who have only survived by cheating their workers with insultingly unfair and predatory low wages. As a Christian, this is a moral issue for me as well - I wouldn't want to prey on someone for their weakness and I wouldn't pay someone less than what they are truly worth and owed, nor do I want to live in a society that practices such immorality.

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟688,809.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
...except the right never listened to them, and never encouraged anyone else to, either. Why pretend to start now?

Careful... saying "also" means that the anti-vaxxers have some responsibility for their actions... you sure you want to go that route?

The purpose of an excuse is to excuse bad behavior... try harder.

absolutly the antivaxers do have a role to play. That is undeniable, just as Nancy Pelosi and Kamala Harris and Joe Biden’s role is undeniable.

You can’t actively discourage people from taking the vaccine for months and not have a role to play.

I’m not offering excuses. I don’t think anyone else should either.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
absolutly the antivaxers do have a role to play. That is undeniable, just as Nancy Pelosi and Kamala Harris and Joe Biden’s role is undeniable.

You can’t actively discourage people from taking the vaccine for months and not have a role to play.

I’m not offering excuses. I don’t think anyone else should either.

What you're offering is a deflection --and not a particularly good one, at that.

Of course, the problem is that far more effort is being made in pointing fingers and assigning blame than in pushing for an actual solution. This, of course, is an age-old problem among the right, and as it is a problem entirely of their own making, I neither know nor care about a possible solution.

As for the real issue here -- getting people to work -- there are several solutions available to the American right, alas, the best and most effective solution is beyond their reach... again, entirely by choice.

You see, there's good news, realistic news, and bad news:

The good news is that both the Biden administration and the Democratically-controlled Congress have the power to scale back the federal unemployment benefits, which would certainly give a lot of people an incentive to seek a job -- even for $2.13/hour plus tips.

The realistic news is that they're not going to do this simply because you demand it -- They're going to want something from the Republicans in exchange for even considering such a move before they determine the time is right.

The bad news is that the Republican minority leadership has already committed itself to making sure that Biden gets nothing from them. If the GOP gives nothing, they get nothing. That's politics for you.

So it certainly looks like the right has painted itself into a corner... another self-inflicted problem which I have neither the ability nor desire to solve for them.

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟688,809.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What you're offering is a deflection --and not a particularly good one, at that.

Negative. While perhaps inconvenient to a narrative, it does reflect on what is happening right now.

We are told by Democratic Leadership to follow the science, but when the science doesn’t allow them to complete their narrative, they ignore it. Why else would they not encourage teachers to follow the science and safely open back up?

We are told by Democratic leadership that the vaccines are not to be trusted, until they are in power, then it is ok to get them.

We were told by the President of the US that there were no vaccines when people were being vaccinated at the rate of 900,000 a day.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Negative. While perhaps inconvenient to a narrative, it does reflect on what is happening right now.

We are told by Democratic Leadership to follow the science, but when the science doesn’t allow them to complete their narrative, they ignore it. Why else would they not encourage teachers to follow the science and safely open back up?

We are told by Democratic leadership that the vaccines are not to be trusted, until they are in power, then it is ok to get them.

We were told by the President of the US that there were no vaccines when people were being vaccinated at the rate of 900,000 a day.

That's nice.

Meanwhile, the topic of the thread is that you still have a labor shortage and no willingness to do what it takes to fix it.

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟688,809.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That's nice.

Meanwhile, the topic of the thread is that you still have a labor shortage and no willingness to do what it takes to fix it.

ive been responding directly to your posts

as for the topic my answers follow along the lines of getting the government out of our daily lives, stop taking the incentives to work away by not following the science and paying people to stay home

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
ive been responding directly to your posts

as for the topic my answers follow along the lines of getting the government out of our daily lives, stop taking the incentives to work away by not following the science and paying people to stay home

That's nice.

Really, I don't see what the problem is -- the national unemployment rate is at 6.1%,which is certainly nothing to be ashamed of, and bound to get even better as more Americans get back to work.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟7,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Nancy Pelosi and Kamala Harris did just as much harm as any of the anti vax crowd.

Going on national television repeatedly saying they did not trust the vaccine sure didn’t help.

Anti-vaxxers feed off Democrats' skepticism of COVID vaccine
Democratic politicians raising concerns about how quickly coronavirus vaccines could be rolled out to the public appear to be bolstering anti-vax groups. By highlighting issues around the vaccine development process, politicians on the left may be inadvertently increasing skepticism among the wider public.

On September 24, New York governor Andrew Cuomo said the state will independently review all vaccines authorized by the federal government. "Frankly, I'm not going to trust the federal government's opinion and I wouldn't recommend to New Yorkers based on the federal government's opinion," he said in a statement.

At the start of September, Democratic vice presidential nominee Kamala Harrissaid she would not trust President Donald Trump's word alone that any vaccine developed is safe and efficient.

A week later, Democratic presidential candidate Joe Biden made similar remarks during a speech in Delaware, saying, "I trust vaccines, I trust scientists, but I don't trust Donald Trump."

Meanwhile, Nancy Pelosi, Democratic speaker of the United States House of Representatives, has said any vaccine must meet safety standards before being released if it is to be accepted by the public.​
They carry a portion of the blame also.
You have an article from October 2020 in response to Trump's claim that he would have a vaccine ready by the November elections. The vaccines were not ready then nor had they been tested and approved. Waiting until they were was not rash.

Upvote 0

mark46

Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟830,515.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
The Republicans have had a winning issue for months. They refuse to use it because of their fearless leader. Republicans should have been pushing vaccinations since Biden took office, and pushed the idea of all those who have been vaccinated to be free of restrictions. They should be, in true Trump fashion, making fun of Biden and other vaccinated leaders for continuing to wear a mask. They should be pushing for ALL business to be open if their employees are vaccinated, and allow them to have no restrictions if customers are required to be vaccinated. Most obviously, Republicans should have been pushing for immediately opening of schools, as soon as the school staff was vaccinated.

The reality is that Republicans won't alienate their base who refuses to be vaccinated and refused to wear masks. If everything immediately started to open for the vaccinated and school children, the Republicans could take credit for the vaccine and the continuing improvements in the economy.

BOTTOM LINE
The science says that those fully vaccinated are no danger to themselves or to others. The administration refuses to celebrate and remove all restrictions from those folks. The science says that there is zero danger from kids returning to pre-schools and elementary schools, zero. Yes, those in junior and senior high school should be vaccinated; as with flu and polio, that is a state and local decision.

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟688,809.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You have an article from October 2020 in response to Trump's claim that he would have a vaccine ready by the November elections. The vaccines were not ready then nor had they been tested and approved. Waiting until they were was not rash.

How many links showing Pelosi and Harris saying they don’t trust the vaccine do you need to believe it?

Not being snide, just asking
Unless there is confidence that the vaccine has gone through the clinical trials, and then is approved by the independent scientific advisory committee, as established to do just this, there will be doubts that people will have," Pelosi said.
That still hasn’t happened and now she is promoting it. She started promoting the vaccine as soon as Biden won. Not one day before.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
How many links showing Pelosi and Harris saying they don’t trust the vaccine do you need to believe it?

Meanwhile, you still have a labor issue that you're blaming on someone else.

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟688,809.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Meanwhile, you still have a labor issue that you're blaming on someone else.

Ok. I trust that is what you sincerely believe.
I don’t agree. Have a good night.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟7,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Unless there is confidence that the vaccine has gone through the clinical trials, and then is approved by the independent scientific advisory committee, as established to do just this, there will be doubts that people will have," Pelosi said.
That still hasn’t happened and now she is promoting it. She started promoting the vaccine as soon as Biden won. Not one day before.

One from each in 2021.

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟688,809.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
One from each in 2021.

let me check, but I believe she basically went silent on it until the 21. But let’s see if there is anything from the first 20 days of the year while they were trying to impeach the President.
if I remember after the 6th all the narrative was on impeachment so in reality you are expecting something from a five day window and discounting everything from the previous six months.

not sure if she did, but I’ll check.

Upvote 0

ArmenianJohn

Politically Liberal Christian Fundamentalist
Jan 30, 2013
New Jersey (NYC Metro)
✟205,242.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

So what? What difference does it make what Pelosi or Harris promoted or didn't promote?

You are completely unable to substantiate any connection between what they said and what people did. If I'm wrong, feel free to show us where an anti-vaxxer is anti-vax because of Pelosi or Harris. In fact, show us where an anti-vaxxer has ever done ANYTHING because Pelosi or Harris said to do it. You won't be able to because it has never happened.

• Winner
Reactions: mark46
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟688,809.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So what? What difference does it make what Pelosi or Harris promoted or didn't promote?

You are completely unable to substantiate any connection between what they said and what people did. If I'm wrong, feel free to show us where an anti-vaxxer is anti-vax because of Pelosi or Harris. In fact, show us where an anti-vaxxer has ever done ANYTHING because Pelosi or Harris said to do it. You won't be able to because it has never happened.

Nancy and Kamala and anti Vaxxers were all on the same side, saying basically the same thing. Their results were the same: people didn’t and still don’t trust the vaccine.

there is your correlation

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟7,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
let me check, but I believe she basically went silent on it until the 21. But let’s see if there is anything from the first 20 days of the year while they were trying to impeach the President.
if I remember after the 6th all the narrative was on impeachment so in reality you are expecting something from a five day window and discounting everything from the previous six months.

not sure if she did, but I’ll check.
Okay, then how about at any point after the vaccines were approved for emergency use?

Neither Pelosi nor Harris were anti-vax, they wanted to be assured that it was safe and effective. When they got the assurance, they endorsed it wholeheartedly.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,147,348.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
I believe the business about not looking for work is just during the Covid situation. There weren’t jobs, and we didn’t want people out there looking.

It should be ending shortly.

however which requirements are waived and for how long seems to depend upon the state. A number have reinstated the requirements to look for work, but I haven’t found a list.

Last edited:
Reactions: ArmenianJohn
Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟688,809.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Okay, then how about at any point after the vaccines were approved for emergency use?

Neither Pelosi nor Harris were anti-vax, they wanted to be assured that it was safe and effective. When they got the assurance, they endorsed it wholeheartedly.

when did they get the assurance? The vaccines are still not approved by the FDA.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟7,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
when did they get the assurance? The vaccines are still not approved by the FDA.
You know very well that three vaccines have been authorized by the FDA, as well as recommended by the CDC, for use in the USA for people fifteen and older.

Upvote 0