Not open for further replies.

BAFRIEND

Feb 16, 2007
✟23,362.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
An earthquake measuring 4.7 magnitude rattled the Reno area Friday night, waking up many people to find dinnerware knocked from shelves and structural damage to homes.

More than 100 quakes, most less than 3.0 magnitude, were reported Friday, the same day experts urged residents to prepare themselves

We had two earthquakes Wendsday at 4.1 and 4.2 and all the after shocks.

Last night after going to bed we got shook crazy for like 20 seconds but the only damge seems to be all the plastic empty soda bottles on the kitchen counter fell over and my keyboard, mouse, and pad were laying on the floor... scarred the heck out of all of us.

Site Supporter
May 26, 2004
Cape Breton
✟740,518.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
That's wild man. I've never felt an earthquake. That's why I'm never going out to the west coast. The earth is just waiting for me to step foot in California to make up for all those shake-free years with a magnitude 9.8. :swoon:

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟441,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I concur Avatar, i avoid the West.
I know if i went, it would be quite an earthquake.

There is also a 'fault' in Reading Pa, which is thankfully very East of us by maybe 4 - 5 hours.

So Reno is shaking these days. Maybe time to leave BAF. Not sure i would like that too much.

Upvote 0

fragmentsofdreams

Critical loyalist
Apr 18, 2002
CA
Visit site
✟28,828.00
Faith
Catholic
That's wild man. I've never felt an earthquake. That's why I'm never going out to the west coast. The earth is just waiting for me to step foot in California to make up for all those shake-free years with a magnitude 9.8. :swoon:

I've confirmed feeling only one (although once I knew what they felt like I wondered if I had felt earlier ones without realizing what they were). The active faults are farther inland, so you can barely feel them by the time they arrive here.

Upvote 0

D'Ann

Catholic... Faith, Hope and the greatest is LOVE
Oct 28, 2004
✟72,336.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
We had two earthquakes Wendsday at 4.1 and 4.2 and all the after shocks.

Last night after going to bed we got shook crazy for like 20 seconds but the only damge seems to be all the plastic empty soda bottles on the kitchen counter fell over and my keyboard, mouse, and pad were laying on the floor... scarred the heck out of all of us.

My prayers are with you and yours and Reno. I grew up in Los Angeles Calif... and I remember being really young and having a earth quake that was like 5.1 or 6.1 (I think it was one of those numbers, it's been years)...

I remember the whole house swaying back and forward... it was a rolling earth quake. My sister was sleeping in a bed on the other side of my bed and we had windows opened above our heads because it was during the Summer and it was hot. When the earth quake started, my sister sat up and then I sat up too... as I sat up, her window fell right where she was sleeping seconds before. She and I got out of bed and I looked for my brother and mother and within seconds my mother and brother and I and my sister were making our way to the strongest archway in the house... but then I don't know what happened, but my sister freaked out and ran out the front door and then the earth quake stopped.... This happened either in 1969 or 1970... can't remember the exact year.

There was another big earth quake in the Pasadena area where my dad lived at the time around 1998 or so... it messed up his home, but the damage done was fixable.

Is Reno close to San Francisco/Sacremento area? Was it the Andreas fault that shook Reno?

Anyway... :hug: and :crossrc: for you and yours.

Upvote 0

Site Supporter
May 26, 2004
Cape Breton
✟740,518.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Good one! :D

But seriously glad that no one was hurt.

-Peace-
Oh, hey, yeah! I didn't get that the first time I read it. Reno is the biggest little city in the world right? That is a good one! ^_^

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BAFRIEND

Feb 16, 2007
✟23,362.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Seismologists said the recent activity is unusual because the quakes started out small and continue to build in strength. The normal pattern is for a main quake followed by smaller aftershocks.
"A magnitude 6 quake wouldn't be a scientific surprise," John Anderson, director of the seismological lab, said Saturday. "We certainly hope residents are taking the threat seriously after last night."-MSNBC

Nice knowing you guys... :(

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

fragmentsofdreams

Critical loyalist
Apr 18, 2002
CA
Visit site
✟28,828.00
Faith
Catholic
There's really not much one can do to prepare for an earthquake. :(

I remember them from when I lived in Peru.

:crossrc: Praying for your safety .

Peace

There are many things that one can do to prepare. One can make sure that one has sufficient non-perishable food supplies, water, battery powered radio, batteries, and other emergency supplies. One can also make sure that one's furniture and possessions are secure.

Upvote 0

BAFRIEND

Feb 16, 2007
✟23,362.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
There are many things that one can do to prepare. One can make sure that one has sufficient non-perishable food supplies, water, battery powered radio, batteries, and other emergency supplies. One can also make sure that one's furniture and possessions are secure.
We have been thinking about what to do... put one gallon water containers in empty drums on the side of the house etc... I heard wood cracking in the foundation during the Friday quake and our railing on the deck above the garage nearly shook off.

My best plan for a greater quake, if our house does not go down the side of the mountain with us in it, is to simply crawl down to the grocery store two miles away and loot whatever we need out of the rubble.

Upvote 0

Tigg

Senior Veteran
Jan 5, 2007
✟17,774.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Try and stay safe. When the ground rolls and rocks beneath your feet, it is scary. Where to go to remain safe, I don't know. Prayers for you and the whole area.

"Among other things, scientists urged residents to stock up on water and food, to learn how to turn off water and gas, and to strap down bookshelves, televisions and computers."

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5gS-Ci5Mg_3qzF4HK8o9c8qjvj2tgD909TH580

-Peace-

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.