US
✟90,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Trying to break the cycle under-employment I'm in. Science grad and haven't been able to get a job that requires a college degree. Despite my impressive resume and networking. I've gotten a fair amount of interviews, but for the most part employers make me go through some wacky interviews and or have way too many applicants for just 1 spot.

-__- I've been stuck in call center pharmacy tech jobs for almost 3 years. They pay $14-18 an hour. It's not terrible but it's dead end.

My current solution is work part time while teaching myself computer programming skills. Not sure if it will still be hard to get my foot in the door for one of these jobs. Other that I could try to get into PA school but I'd have to jump through a bunch of hoops to qualify for that additional load of debt...

Or there's medical technology which is also more debt and kind of a hectic profession. So far I have been unsuccessful trying to get into that career without certifications even though I have the right degree and right experience.

In the mean time my reputation is dying with family and friends who have worked low skilled jobs all their lives or on disability so they really don't understand why I am tired of settling for low skilled dead end jobs. They don't understand my degree, how much time, money, and free research work I did. And they mock me. Also, my cousins with wealthier parents ended up better off than me even though they took the easiest artsy degrees there are. One of them was a drama major and her parents went 150,000 in debt to pay for it they don't expect her to pay back a cent. She's working in her field and so is her sister who majored in an equally laughable field (communications). I'm disgusted with the way things turn out. Hard work means nothing these days.

Angeleyes7715

Dec 13, 2015
US
✟90,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
In Relationship
I'm looking for a laboratory job that pays $20/ hour or more, with the potential for growth with more education and experience.

I applied for companies in my area but haven't had luck. My area is big for the medical field and for programming and computer science jobs it seems but that's it. Everything else is retail or call centers here. I really didn't plan on this when I was in school.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Oh? What is that?
No details possible here,
but
same as Jesus always told others: turn to Yahweh, His Kingdom is at hand. (present, here, today).
And as Jesus told the disciples:
I know you (yes, even the Apostles) don't know how to live;
come to Me and I Will Show you; learn from Me.

See this in His Word (the Bible), and trust Him.

Reactions: Angeleyes7715
Upvote 0

High Fidelity

Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2014
✟905,075.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
It's worth doing those jobs and taking a pay cut if that's something that will get your foot in the door. If you don't have experience on your resume then the pay cut will pay for itself when you stick at that job for 2-3 years and apply elsewhere for jobs paying what you would like.

Experience is king in today's world.

Upvote 0

RC1970

post tenebras lux
Jul 7, 2015
✟80,684.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Trying to break the cycle under-employment I'm in. Science grad and haven't been able to get a job that requires a college degree. Despite my impressive resume and networking. I've gotten a fair amount of interviews, but for the most part employers make me go through some wacky interviews and or have way too many applicants for just 1 spot.

-__- I've been stuck in call center pharmacy tech jobs for almost 3 years. They pay $14-18 an hour. It's not terrible but it's dead end.

My current solution is work part time while teaching myself computer programming skills. Not sure if it will still be hard to get my foot in the door for one of these jobs. Other that I could try to get into PA school but I'd have to jump through a bunch of hoops to qualify for that additional load of debt...

Or there's medical technology which is also more debt and kind of a hectic profession. So far I have been unsuccessful trying to get into that career without certifications even though I have the right degree and right experience.

In the mean time my reputation is dying with family and friends who have worked low skilled jobs all their lives or on disability so they really don't understand why I am tired of settling for low skilled dead end jobs. They don't understand my degree, how much time, money, and free research work I did. And they mock me. Also, my cousins with wealthier parents ended up better off than me even though they took the easiest artsy degrees there are. One of them was a drama major and her parents went 150,000 in debt to pay for it they don't expect her to pay back a cent. She's working in her field and so is her sister who majored in an equally laughable field (communications). I'm disgusted with the way things turn out. Hard work means nothing these days.
I used to work in laboratory automation and most of the scientists that I worked with said the best laboratory jobs are in the northeast. I switched from the lab to the clinical side and everything has worked out great.

Sometimes, you either have to move or refocus.

Godspeed. ;)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

HereIStand

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2006
✟317,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
If you don't want to go to pharmacy school, my advise would be to get a Master's in Data Science. I've taken some online classes at Indiana University. With a technical undergrad, it probably wouldn't be too difficult for you. As far as programming, Python seems to be the most important language. There is also a "Data Science for Drug Discovery" course and you might be able to tailor the program in that direction. I'm not sure. I had planned on getting a certificate or maybe trying for a Master's, but I'm getting a bit older, and I'm not sure how I'll use it.

Upvote 0

jaybird88

Jan 6, 2015
✟42,893.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
have you thought about teaching? maybe you could teach for a while while looking for the lab job, in the mean time you will be working a more respectable job which will help you feel better when your around family and friends. i woulnt worry so much what friends and family think, you cant go to far down that road as it can lead to you feeling that any job you have will never be good enough, its your life, not theirs. do something you enjoy, make the most of it, and if anyone brings it up, speak as if its the best job ever, best people ever and you love it.

Upvote 0

Far Side Of the Moon

" The moon is high& the stars are aligned" :)
Mar 11, 2016
Georgia
✟30,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I know how u feel I'm already tirrd of working my 2 jobs... But I'm learning coeing with my bf u can do it with us if U like :)

But I agree with that one persons answer...
Sometimes u have to move and all 5he oppurtunities will open up for you. :)

Just gotta take a leap of faith sometimes

Upvote 0

Dave G.

May 22, 2017
Sandiwich
✟324,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Hospitals usually have good benefits and quite decent wages, at least out this way. Probably ten years ago my Daughter In Law got a job in a hospital locally doing personal care. I'm not a fan of unions but they have strong ones here, so the wages are fairly fixed. Anyway a job came up in the lab and she put in for it and got it at $20 and hour while training. No idea what she did in the lab but it did not require outside education, they trained in house. She had no degrees in anything. She ended up having to leave that job because of a move. She messed around for a while then applied for another hospital job near her new location and has been there ever since. I believer her wage as an ER tech and call person for the doctors on duty is $28 an hour today. But it took her a few of years and two position changes within the hospital to land it. For a while she did instrument tech work for the OR. She put her faith in Jesus all along , just like the other job this one came up on a bid and she put in for it and got it based on her other job experience. She works 4 12 hours days per week with options for a fifth day if she wants it. But she is a really good hard working woman and along the way did share of bed pan and butt washing too back in the beginning. Never been to college though.

My wife is actually a pharmacy tech out here in the east, it sounds like you get paid better there in that particular slot. Hospitals are where to be here. I told her that but ya know she is pushing 70, thankful to have what she has.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ancient of Days

Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2017
Mn.
✟138,689.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I know how u feel I'm already tirrd of working my 2 jobs... But I'm learning coeing with my bf u can do it with us if U like :)

But I agree with that one persons answer...
Sometimes u have to move and all 5he oppurtunities will open up for you. :)

Just gotta take a leap of faith sometimes

What is coeing?

Upvote 0

Angeleyes7715

Dec 13, 2015
US
✟90,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Also thanks for all the advice everyone. And yeah that's what I've been hearing this one guy I knew was a janitor and got into a hospital lab. Why I have so much trouble getting into one is beyond me lol. To be fair I have mostly tried with Sonora Quest and they have so many applicants. And yeah I hear east coast is better for that too. I got a sup. to respond to my message so fingers crossed : ).

Upvote 0