Resi
✟24,557.00
Country
Poland
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
There's been a recurring thought in my mind to buy an acoustic guitar. The thing is, I don't play that well and I don't know how to sing, I say this because one of the arguments that come to mind that try to convince me to buy the guitar is that I would use it to praise the Lord. I have an electric and don't play it. But there's a nagging thought that wants me to buy the guitar, and probably I'll play it one or two days and then leave it on the corner like the electric one.

I've tried to wait for this thought to go away but it keeps on coming back. Any advice?
Thanks.

Lord'sWarrior

Jan 14, 2017
Resi
✟24,557.00
Country
Poland
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Knew I wanted to learn to play it probably when was a Brownie in Girl Scouts. Saw myself as strumming along while we all sang by a campfire. With that picture in my mind, worked very hard to learn to play very well. Had private lessons that my parents paid for. Was soon playing it for Scouts and on a mission trip. Played it at not sure how many weddings and even for younger kids when they had concerts at school.
When you have a goal, then it is much easier to learn and keep at it. Carried extra strings with me, as they would break sometimes. My nickname, given to me in Scouts the first time I took my guitar, and that name has stuck with me is...Strings.
So would say, if you have a picture in your mind of some scene in the future that you very much want to have unfold in your life, then go for it. Me....pictured myself in the band playing a flute...so accomplished that goal. Saw myself on the drill team in the band, so did that too.
Thanks. I don't envision myself anywhere I guess. It helps to dream a bit. I probably envision myself playing very well, but if I really wanted that I could play the electric. It seems its an impulse to buy, but an impulse that lasts for days.

Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
There's been a recurring thought in my mind to buy an acoustic guitar. The thing is, I don't play that well and I don't know how to sing, I say this because one of the arguments that come to mind that try to convince me to buy the guitar is that I would use it to praise the Lord. I have an electric and don't play it. But there's a nagging thought that wants me to buy the guitar, and probably I'll play it one or two days and then leave it on the corner like the electric one.

I've tried to wait for this thought to go away but it keeps on coming back. Any advice?
Thanks.

If you have the spare money why not go for it.

They make Taylor Guitars here where we live a real nice guitar for the money.

M-Bob

Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Thanks.
Learning to play a guitar well is a huge time commitment. It is cheaper to download a guitar instrumental to listen to. Some of them are free.

If you must play a guitar, there are cheap used guitars on Ebay.

Upvote 0

Kit Sigmon

May 18, 2016
USA
✟76,189.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship

Thanks.

You have an electric guitar collecting dust?...sometimes our thoughts mislead us, realize that you have been there/done that..purchased an electric guitar that's not being played... Or you could use use those thoughts to purchase an acoustic guitar as motivation to start playing your electric guitar again?

Upvote 0

Lord'sWarrior

Jan 14, 2017
Resi
✟24,557.00
Country
Poland
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
You have an electric guitar collecting dust?...sometimes our thoughts mislead us, realize that you have been there/done that..purchased an electric guitar that's not being played... Or you could use use those thoughts to purchase an acoustic guitar as motivation to start playing your electric guitar again?
I have low resistance to failure. Have tried to play before, but can't seem to grow out of the basics. Another thing, this might be just for the pleasure of having new things, which is a wrong motive. That's why I'm confused.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Kit Sigmon

May 18, 2016
USA
✟76,189.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Guerrier, do you have someone who can teach you how to play?
Or have access to video teaching on playing electric guitar?
I was told there was campfire guitar videos up on Youtube and a link
to the website for more lessons and stuff.
You could check that out, specially the part about accessing the link
to the campfire guitar lessons...hopefully it will be of use to you.

Upvote 0

Lord'sWarrior

Jan 14, 2017
Resi
✟24,557.00
Country
Poland
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Guerrier, do you have someone who can teach you how to play?
Or have access to video teaching on playing electric guitar?
I was told there was campfire guitar videos up on Youtube and a link
to the website for more lessons and stuff.
You could check that out, specially the part about accessing the link
to the campfire guitar lessons...hopefully it will be of use to you.
Thanks. I think I'm gonna postpone the purchase.

• Prayers
Reactions: Kit Sigmon
Upvote 0

Andrew77

The walking accident
Site Supporter
Feb 11, 2018
Ohio
✟138,616.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution

Thanks.

Depends on your history. If you have had other 'nagging thoughts' that turned out to be garbage, then I wouldn't follow this one.

Some people have these nagging thoughts all the time, and their homes end up unapproved museums of non-collectable objects.

Which is another way of saying, garbage dumps.

On the other hand, if you intend to follow through, then go for it. The obvious question is, do you intend to follow through? Do you have a plan to make it happen? If not, then don't. If you do have a plan to make it happen, then go buy the guitar.

Here's the trade off. Start off with a good used guitar, and then set a date. In 3 months, if I have not done anything with this, then I'm going to put it up for sale.

I think that's the only issue people have. I lived in my home for 5 years after I moved in, and then I went around and sold everything that I had not seen, or used, since I moved in. It was amazing how much junk I cleaned out. Sold all of it.

Upvote 0

Lord'sWarrior

Jan 14, 2017
Resi
✟24,557.00
Country
Poland
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Depends on your history. If you have had other 'nagging thoughts' that turned out to be garbage, then I wouldn't follow this one.

Some people have these nagging thoughts all the time, and their homes end up unapproved museums of non-collectable objects.

Which is another way of saying, garbage dumps.

On the other hand, if you intend to follow through, then go for it. The obvious question is, do you intend to follow through? Do you have a plan to make it happen? If not, then don't. If you do have a plan to make it happen, then go buy the guitar.

Here's the trade off. Start off with a good used guitar, and then set a date. In 3 months, if I have not done anything with this, then I'm going to put it up for sale.

I think that's the only issue people have. I lived in my home for 5 years after I moved in, and then I went around and sold everything that I had not seen, or used, since I moved in. It was amazing how much junk I cleaned out. Sold all of it.
This is probably an impulse. I'm going to let it simmer until it goes away.

• Agree
Reactions: vinsight4u
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums