Southeast Ohio
✟567,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
I've noticed some Methodist churches going independent. There are many Methodist churches where I live. One went independent in the previous decade. The one closest to my daughters' school is in the discernment process. Their pastor is of a mind to join GMC but will abide by the congregational vote.

Upvote 0

Sors

Still Love This Movie
Sep 30, 2004
Texas
✟22,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I just want to make a comment. This split is why I finally joined the Methodist church. I have some theological liberal beliefs, especially when it comes to the book of Genesis, evolution, and the literal truth of some the the old testament. At the same time, I believe completely in the death and resurrection of Jesus. That he died on the cross for our sins. I also believe in the teachings of Paul and other apostles. A lot of churches in my area are reformed, and after a lot of study, I knew I didn't agree with them. This split, as horrible as it has been for all of yall, has allowed me to find a church home. I waited a long time. [Staff Edit] With this split I was able to finally join a GMC church. I don't know if this matters so much, but I thought I would say it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟961,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
With this split I was able to finally join a GMC church.

Differing opinions aside, it is always a good thing to follow one's conscience and find a church home that is a good fit. I'm happy you were able to do that. :oldthumbsup:

Reactions: Leaf473
Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟777,861.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well, it came full circle. The Methodist Church that I am a member at voted to leave the UMC and go independent. I am OK with the decision, I think it makes a lot of sense for them. There were 54 other churches in Florida that also voted to leave this round. Some will go GMC, most I don't know.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

Leaf473

Jul 17, 2020
Northeast
✟180,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well, it came full circle. The Methodist Church that I am a member at voted to leave the UMC and go independent. I am OK with the decision, I think it makes a lot of sense for them. There were 54 other churches in Florida that also voted to leave this round. Some will go GMC, most I don't know.
May the Lord be with your local church in this new opportunity :praying:

The local church I attend (not a member) has some rumblings, some people want to move ahead with a vote.

I'm not sure if they
(the church I go to)
understand the implications. They may be under the impression that they can just change the name on the sign and go on. My understanding was that there are often significant financial issues to be resolved.

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟777,861.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
May the Lord be with your local church in this new opportunity :praying:
Thank you :)
The local church I attend (not a member) has some rumblings, some people want to move ahead with a vote.

I'm not sure if they
(the church I go to)
understand the implications. They may be under the impression that they can just change the name on the sign and go on. My understanding was that there are often significant financial issues to be resolved.
The financial issue varies by church, in the 55 leaving this round here the figures from a low of $4,500 to a high of over $1M. I am honestly not sure how that is calculated, but I can say the church with over $1M obligation is a very large church with a fairly new building.

These 55 churches represent about 15% of the UMC membership in the Florida Conference.

• Informative
Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟777,861.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Potentially relevant thread:

• Informative
Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,100,036.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
MOD HAT ON

350015_0f282d4b538245f7d5ab333c90dad940.jpeg

MOD HAT OFF

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟243,031.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
I've noticed some Methodist churches going independent. There are many Methodist churches where I live. One went independent in the previous decade. The one closest to my daughters' school is in the discernment process. Their pastor is of a mind to join GMC but will abide by the congregational vote.
There is multiple Methodist Churches where I live and one belongs to a very small conservative sect (not Global Methodist).

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟777,861.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
As a local update, another 46 churches were voted to be allowed to leave the Florida Conference on the UMC this past weekend. That makes just over 100 churches lost from the UMC in Florida this year. They will officially be disfellowshipped on September 1st. As seems typical, a number are going GMC, others will be independent. The largest church from this group will be going GMC.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Leaf473

Jul 17, 2020
Northeast
✟180,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
As a local update, another 46 churches were voted to be allowed to leave the Florida Conference on the UMC this past weekend. That makes just over 100 churches lost from the UMC in Florida this year. They will officially be disfellowshipped on September 1st. As seems typical, a number are going GMC, others will be independent. The largest church from this group will be going GMC.
Now, that is interesting! Is there a particular thing that's happening in that annual conference that's causing a lot of churches to want to leave?

I've heard that a lot of churches in the western Pennsylvania conference voted to leave. But the particular annual conference my wife and I go to has had very few churches leave. Our pastor advised the congregation to at least wait until the 2024 general conference to see if something is decided there.

The conferences with a lot of churches leaving, do they have a particularly liberal bishop, or something?

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟777,861.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Now, that is interesting! Is there a particular thing that's happening in that annual conference that's causing a lot of churches to want to leave?
In general Florida is a conservative and growing state, so the big churches and the conservative churches see value in separating from the denomination. The churches going to the GMC are ones that have been conservative and would like to be a part of a denomination that is outright conservative and not mainline.
I've heard that a lot of churches in the western Pennsylvania conference voted to leave. But the particular annual conference my wife and I go to has had very few churches leave. Our pastor advised the congregation to at least wait until the 2024 general conference to see if something is decided there.

The conferences with a lot of churches leaving, do they have a particularly liberal bishop, or something?
I'm not so sure that it is that the bishop is so much liberal as the churches wish to leave the denomination as a whole as it is seen to either be moving to the liberal side or ineffective at enforcing the rules that are already in effect. It seems the conferences with the most churches leaving are in conservative states.

Upvote 0

Leaf473

Jul 17, 2020
Northeast
✟180,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I've heard that a lot of conservative churches splitting off from the UMC are going independent or non-denominational rather than joining the new GMC denomination.

Is this true?
Hi 9Rock9,

I don't know what the statistics are of churches that have left going independent versus GMC.

There may be a decline in the number of churches leaving now that the "special disaffiliation" window closed at the end of 2023. That's as I understand it :)

Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟961,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I've heard that a lot of conservative churches splitting off from the UMC are going independent or non-denominational rather than joining the new GMC denomination.

Is this true?

I have been tracking action by UMC churches that my dad used to pastor. Many have left, and those that did all became non-denoms, not Global UMC. I suspect the issue was so bitter for them that they didn't want to be associated with a denomination anymore.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Leaf473

Jul 17, 2020
Northeast
✟180,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I would not recommend any church or denomination these days without first getting to know the senior pastor. Would you? It seems there are good and crazies in every movement these days.
I hear what you're saying. Myself, the important thing in the congregation is if the works of the flesh are dwindling and the fruit of the Spirit is growing :heart:

Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟961,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I would not recommend any church or denomination these days without first getting to know the senior pastor.

I agree that a senior pastor can be a blessing to inspire and nurture one's faith, and the "crazies" can affect us negatively. I think there is a risk, however, in attaching ourselves to a personality. Pastors come and go. The church remains.

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟777,861.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think that some, in particular the larger churches, that have left the UMC don't see a lot of value in being attached to a new denomination when they just paid the ransom to leave the UMC. They may join down the line when things shake out a bit, but at this point there is not a lot of value in paying a new denomination. I know my church went independent and now have extra dollars that they are allocating to children's programs, needy families, and another local church.

• Friendly
Upvote 0