Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Kim Chee is just cabbage preserved with spices (prominently chili pepper). I've cooked goat, lamb's tongue, squid (what calamari is made of), cuttlefish, octopus & shark. I've eaten ants, aardvark (not as yummy as you'd think), various testicles (lamb being the best), calve's brain (before the mad cow disease scare), pickled pig's feet, duck feet, kishka (cow intestine stuffed with matzo meal) - oh, and durian (think stinky Jackfruit) more than once.

I've never had dog, cat, monkey, people or the eyeballs of any creature.

I guess the oddest thing I've eaten is muk tuk - fried whale blubber (homemade by a woman from Yellow Knife, served at a garden party).

Shark is pretty common in the fish markets in NYC. Once I kept a piece a bit too long before cooking it - at first, I thought someone had left the cap off a bottle of ammonia the smell was so strong, but it was the degraded shark meat. Man, totally ruined the soup, but I could've cleaned the stove with it.

Isn't cow skin leather before it's been tanned? Fried pig skin is pretty popular in the US.

Those pictures sure make haggis look tasty. I would eat that (but not the canned stuff).

Upvote 0

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟374,139.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Additionally, I've eaten prepared monkey brain; not bad, actually. Tasted like a meaty tapioka pudding. The coloring is quite different from tapioka, of course, but all in all, it was delicious.

That's kinda risky. Mammalian central nervous system tissue, especially of primate origin, can contain those nasty prions. Which cause the spongiform encepahlopathies (like Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease.) Even thorough cooking doesn't inactivate them.

Edited to add: The retina of the eye develops as an outgrowth of the CNS, and it can also harbor prions. So eyeballs are also best avoided.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

RETS

Telling it like it is
Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
✟10,929.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
That's kinda risky. Mammalian central nervous system tissue, especially of primate origin, can contain those nasty prions. Which cause the spongiform encepahlopathies (like Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease.) Even thorough cooking doesn't inactivate them.

Edited to add: The retina of the eye develops as an outgrowth of the CNS, and it can also harbor prions. So eyeballs are also best avoided.

Well fortunately, neither are on my regular diet! lol

Both took place at a one time, "exotic foods" experience. Since it required them to get a special permit AND the nod from the FDA, I have to believe that all possible precautions were taken. This was also over ten years ago.

Appreciate the info, though!

Upvote 0

wanderingone

I'm not lost I'm just wandering
Jul 6, 2005
New York
✟30,779.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'll admit I'm a complete ugly American when it comes to food.. - and yes when I was a meat eating sort I preferred my meat chopped up on a little styro tray so I could pretend I had no idea where it came from, I'll call no one's food disgusting.. because had I been served a bigger variety as a child perhaps I wouldn't be so picky, but this is one person with roots (and family) in Scotland who won't touch haggis, and much of the other things described by folks with far more adventuresome palates than mine on this thread!

Upvote 0