✟29,046.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-NDP
Lungs? I thought it was the stomach.

I do know that you can buy canned haggis in the US because I have (humorous birthday present). Maybe it was made in the US.

The stomach is used for the casing. The lungs are part of the filling, as it were. Along with other stuff.

Chances are, whatever sort of haggis you might get on this side of the pond isn't exactly traditional. Heck, I have a can of vegetarian haggis in my pantry right now (neither "can" nor "vegetarian" should be used in conjunction with haggis).

Upvote 0

Skaloop

Agnostic atheist, pro-choice anti-abortion
May 10, 2006
Burnaby
Visit site
✟29,046.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-NDP
^_^

You know, I've vacationed in Scotland several times, and have NEVER gotten up the nerve to try haggis.

If you ever go back, give it a shot. It's not near as bad as it sounds. A nice helping of haggis with some 'neeps and tatties (turnip and potato) is quite nice. I probably never would have tried it if I hadn't married a Scottish woman.

Upvote 0
M

michael32

If you ever go back, give it a shot. It's not near as bad as it sounds. A nice helping of haggis with some 'neeps and tatties (turnip and potato) is quite nice. I probably never would have tried it if I hadn't married a Scottish woman.

Yup, marrying a Scot would do it. I probably wouldn't have tried scrapple either if I hadn't married a Philly girl.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jerry Horse

War Eagle
Nov 13, 2010
Wherever I need to be
✟15,230.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
I suppose any of us who eat hot dogs don't have much credibility for piety, but, cow eyes?
It was a dish called Soup #5(I've no idea why it's called that). It has cow skin, cow eyes and some other parts of the cow in it. Last visit, I ate dog and promptly threw up 10 minutes later.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
M

michael32

It was a dish called Soup #5(I've no idea why it's called that). It has cow skin, cow eyes and some other parts of the cow in it. Last visit, I ate dog and promptly threw up 10 minutes later.

Yeh, I can understand.

I don't really consider myself adventerous in eating, but I did try fried grasshoppers when visiting Oaxaca several years ago. Turned out to be just crunchy and spicy.

I grew up in a rural area with neighbors who where mostly Finns. When my friend's mom asked me if I wanted to try blood pudding, I decided "Ahhh,...you know, I think I'll pass on that."

I've also drawn the line on eating guinea pig when in Peru. Couldn't get my daughter's furry little pets out of my mind.

Reactions: Jerry Horse
Upvote 0

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟371,163.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Tomorrow night is Robert Burns Night, when haggis is tradionally eaten. And the celebration also includes shot after shot of a good single malt. Which is probably the only way anyone can eat the haggis.

food5.jpg

Upvote 0

RETS

Telling it like it is
Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
✟10,929.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Haggis- One of those dishes I enjoy, but cannot eat great portions of!

I think it was Michael who said he's not adventurous in eating; I have been known to be- Totally by accident, most times.

There's a traditional Vietnamese dish that's pronounced Kim She- Horrid stuff, but I can see how people might like it if it's something they grew up eating. Gave me two days of indigestion.
I've also had boiled cow eye- wasn't too bad, I guess. The one that threw me for a loop was a breaded and fried (I think) pig eye. Yours truly thought it was a cheese ball and my friends allowed me to eat it before informing me about what it was. Only thing I could tell them was that I thought it had a whole lot more juice than it should have had for cheese.
I've also eaten Rocky Mountain Oysters, and if you've never had them prepared properly than I can understand why that gives people the dry heaves. I, however, had it prepared to perfection and it is currently one of my favorite dishes.
Additionally, I've eaten prepared monkey brain; not bad, actually. Tasted like a meaty tapioka pudding. The coloring is quite different from tapioka, of course, but all in all, it was delicious.

Some of the more accepted foods I've eaten, yet which still count as different, are shark, kalamari, scorpion and dog. The last was made by a wonderful Filipeno couple I know who have the meat shipped to them overnight packed in dry ice.

There's also an interesting alcoholic beverage that comes out of Egypt called Cobra whiskey. If you ever get the chance to try it, do so- But ask to see the bottle first. If there isn't a cobra in the alcohol, (think Tequila), it's a cheap knock-off.

All that to say- Hope they let Haggis back.

Upvote 0
M

michael32

Haggis- One of those dishes I enjoy, but cannot eat great portions of!

I think it was Michael who said he's not adventurous in eating; I have been known to be- Totally by accident, most times.

There's a traditional Vietnamese dish that's pronounced Kim She- Horrid stuff, but I can see how people might like it if it's something they grew up eating. Gave me two days of indigestion.
I've also had boiled cow eye- wasn't too bad, I guess. The one that threw me for a loop was a breaded and fried (I think) pig eye. Yours truly thought it was a cheese ball and my friends allowed me to eat it before informing me about what it was. Only thing I could tell them was that I thought it had a whole lot more juice than it should have had for cheese.
I've also eaten Rocky Mountain Oysters, and if you've never had them prepared properly than I can understand why that gives people the dry heaves. I, however, had it prepared to perfection and it is currently one of my favorite dishes.
Additionally, I've eaten prepared monkey brain; not bad, actually. Tasted like a meaty tapioka pudding. The coloring is quite different from tapioka, of course, but all in all, it was delicious.

Some of the more accepted foods I've eaten, yet which still count as different, are shark, kalamari, scorpion and dog. The last was made by a wonderful Filipeno couple I know who have the meat shipped to them overnight packed in dry ice.

There's also an interesting alcoholic beverage that comes out of Egypt called Cobra whiskey. If you ever get the chance to try it, do so- But ask to see the bottle first. If there isn't a cobra in the alcohol, (think Tequila), it's a cheap knock-off.

All that to say- Hope they let Haggis back.

I don't know if it's the same food you referred to as Kim She, but I've had the Korean Kim Chee. My sister-in-law is Korean, and makes wonderful Korean food, but the Kim Chee is indeed horrid. Hot enough to take the top of your head off.

While I was in the navy, I let my brother and sister-in-law use a small refrigerator I owned. She used it to chill and store her homemade Kim Chee. I never could get the smell of Kim Chee out of that thing, and finally just threw it away.

Upvote 0