Midwest
✟70,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
I have to admit, I lean that way also. Local law enforcement is probably a greater threat to our freedoms than federal/state government could ever be.
I am an attorney who has been in Court for nearly 17 years now. While I don't do criminal work, I've watched the cat and mouse game at the local level. The cops will do and say anything to get a conviction. I've seen unjust arrests, intentionally dramatic arrests meant to embarass people, ridiculous prosecutions and retaliatory arrests when the cops lose. My advice to everyone is to politely tell the police you will be happy to talk to them once your attorney is present.

As for the Federal level, the problem is out of control prosecutors who can't prove the underlying crime they think took place so they get people on technicalities. Think the Martha Stewart case. They also spend a ridiculous amount of time and resources on prosecutons that serve no interest other than to make a name for the prosecutor and get him a better paying private sector job. Think the pointless, victimless college admission case where they ran straight to the media over essentially nothing.

Upvote 0

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
By the shores of Gitchee-Goomee
✟277,080.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
"These days, democracies tend to collapse from piecemeal backsliding that falls short of the technical definition of a coup, but is often ultimately more damaging. A clear pattern has played out in which leaders come to office through elections but then undermine norms, gut institutions and change laws to dismantle any restraints on their power. Eventually, their countries become dictatorships in all but name."

Sounds very much like what the Democrats have been doing for years.

• Agree
Reactions: Danthemailman
Upvote 0

Vanellus

Sep 15, 2014
✟116,014.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
One of two things is happening here. Either those quoted are engaging in conjecture because they actually know nothing about what was going on within Capitol security or European security forces are spying on the United States. If it's the former this article should be ignored as it's idle speculation pumped out to people who want their biases confirmed. If it's the latter we have serious problems on our hands.
My reading of the article is that the "conjecture" is a result of analysis of open source material by foreign intelligence experts - so it's not bar room conjecture or spying.

Upvote 0

Danthemailman

Jul 18, 2017
Midwest
✟305,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"These days, democracies tend to collapse from piecemeal backsliding that falls short of the technical definition of a coup, but is often ultimately more damaging. A clear pattern has played out in which leaders come to office through elections but then undermine norms, gut institutions and change laws to dismantle any restraints on their power. Eventually, their countries become dictatorships in all but name."

Sounds very much like what the Democrats have been doing for years.
I once heard someone say that democracies eventually degenerate into totalitarianism. I sincerely hope and pray this never happens to the United States.

Upvote 0

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
By the shores of Gitchee-Goomee
✟277,080.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I once heard someone say that democracies eventually degenerate into totalitarianism. I sincerely hope and pray this never happens to the United States.

I think we all better start to hope and pray a lot harder. :(

• Agree
Reactions: Danthemailman
Upvote 0

Guinan

Dec 12, 2020
Texas
✟50,161.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

It came close at the Capitol but the National Guard put an end to it. The treacherous Insurrectionists were yelling "HANG MIKE PENCE!" and three of them were overheard saying that they wanted to find Mike Pence and execute him as a traitor. Hopefully, these Insurrectionists will be identified by federal law enforcement and charged with sedition. The FBI is now looking for them. I hope they're found.

341410_6313d04429dfede87895ec5037d83e1c.png

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Vanellus
Upvote 0

revanneosl

Mystically signifying since 1985
Feb 25, 2007
Northern Illniois
✟39,310.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
The thing that gets me is that the Capitol Police has something like 2000 sworn employees. There was no reason they should have been so weak on the ground, especially since they could have asked for support from DC Metro Police, the US Park Police and who knows how many federal agencies in the area.

It's complicated - jurisdictionally. A large number of Capitol Police were, of course, out of commission because we are currently living through a global pandemic. Huge numbers of them are either sick or quarantined waiting to find out if they (and their families) are going to be sick. DC Metro Police can't enter the Capitol grounds unless they're invited. Neither can any National Guard from either the District or any of the surrounding States. They have to be invited by The President.

Eventually, given the fact that the President was the running the coup, the Vice President and the Secretary of the Army basically did an end-run around the law and admitted the National Guard and DC Metro Police to the area. https://www.wonkette.com/so-[bless ...ith-the-national-guard-and-the-capitol-police

• Informative
Reactions: Guinan
Upvote 0

civilwarbuff

Site Supporter
May 28, 2015
✟614,543.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
So, here a a few of the words that are being thrown around on this thread:
INCITEMENT
Legal terms / INCITEMENT
incitement, n.
1. The act or an instance of provoking, urging on, or stirring up.
2. Criminal law. The act of persuading another person to commit a crime; SOLICITATION(2). [Cases: Criminal Law 45. C.J.S. Criminal Law §§ 115, 124–126.] — inciteful, adj.
What is the legal definition of INCITEMENT? | LegalLingo TermBase

Definition of sedition
: incitement of resistance to or insurrection against lawful authority
Definition of SEDITION

Whoever incites, sets on foot, assists, or engages in any rebellion or insurrection against the authority of the United States or the laws thereof, or gives aid or comfort thereto, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than ten years, or both; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

(June 25, 1948, ch. 645, 62 Stat. 808; Pub. L. 103–322, title XXXIII, § 330016(1)(L), Sept. 13, 1994, 108 Stat. 2147.)
18 U.S. Code § 2383 - Rebellion or insurrection

And the draft article of impeachment the dems are circulating: Draft article of impeachment charges Trump with 'incitement of insurrection' in Capitol mob attack
"The article charges Trump with "willfully inciting violence against the government of the United States" with his comments at the rally outside the White House that it says "encouraged—and foreseeably resulted in—imminent lawless action at the Capitol.""

So, can anyone here please show me where Trump did any of these things, not in your opinion, but in his own words going by the definitions above.
Thanks in advance.

Upvote 0