Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,066,788.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Dress shoes with blue jeans. I have noticed that blue jeans are worn more and more in church services these days. I like to go in shirt and tie… But will also wear blue jeans along with a nice light weight jacket. I have been trying to determine the best shoes to go with blue jeans and have noticed that no two shoes are alike with this type dress. Dress shoes with blue jeans… Any ideas? Thanks!

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟963,064.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Yeah, so I am going to be of no help here. Keep the shirt and tie and stick with non-denim trousers and any shoe not intended for a sporting contest or that reveals hairy man toes. Resist the masses. Swim upstream. I find America's decline into casual dress to be a repugnant thing. :swoon:

I vote to save the jeans for the church picnic or softball game. See, I told you I was going to be of no help. Don't make me the last man standing in America in business casual or better attire. :)

Upvote 0

rockytopva

Love to pray! :)
Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,066,788.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
My work requires steel toes and sometimes I go in with shirt and tie after a church service. So I went with these. Not quite the pink slipper clogs with polka dot purple socks. Still, though, I will wear these with a, "you should have went with the dress pants" in the back of my mind.

61vi8Nr8cNL._AC_SX625_.jpg

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,574.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
The common theme in how folks dress at my church is that people dress comfortably. I don't really see anyone dressed overly snazzy, but generally people do dress nice--but it's a comfortable and casual nice. I tend to wear black slacks, sneakers, and a plain tshirt. Most of the men wear jeans, some women too, or women's slacks. Some wear more casual dresses--nothing fancy or showy. It's the sort of stuff one would wear at home if you were having guests over--that's the best way I would describe it.

We tend to keep things friendly and comfortable. It's one of the reasons I was drawn to my current congregation, the people are warm, hospitable, and the focus is on loving Jesus and our neighbor as a small little Lutheran community.

Personally I've never fully comprehended the idea of dressing up overly fancy for church. Dress nice, sure. But even Pastor wears his clerical shirt and collar with jeans rather than a full cassock at times, though with liturgical vestments during the service of course.

I'm a believer in wear what you want to wear.

-CryptoLutheran

Reactions: public hermit
Upvote 0

Divide

Apr 19, 2017
Columbus
✟81,201.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
My neighbor invited me to go to church with him so I did. I wore a suit. It's church, right? It's a reverant thing, respect. I walked in there, and...I was way overdressed. I was the only suit in the place and stuck out like a sore thumb.

The church he invited me to has the largest food pantry in the city, so consequently, the homeless and poor were the congregation. They had a good message, but I've never returned there wearing a suit again! I wasnt trying to make a statement or anything, I was just going to church.

Upvote 0

WolfGate

Site Supporter
Jun 14, 2004
South Carolina
✟449,551.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When visiting a church, I do tend to look online at photos or ask whoever invited me. What I would feel comfortable in at each church varies. I almost always wear a collared shirt unless I am playing guitar that weekend when I usually go with a t-shirt. Too many things with in ear monitors and straps to get tangled up in a collar.

When I wear jeans, I tend to either go with a pair of white or black addidas tennis shoes or with a pair of gray boots. Nothing too showy and always new/clean

Last edited:
Upvote 0

rockytopva

Love to pray! :)
Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,066,788.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
I believe it was Saint Jerome who said, "When in Rome do as the Romans." I have always remembered that when visiting other churches. And, on topic with this thread, "When in Rome dress as the Romans." But... There are limits on sloppiness. I have visited churches where it looks like they came in their bedroom clothes. Now... I am not going to say anything to them, but inside I will be thinking, "My gosh! What sloppy dress!"

Reactions: Divide
Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟963,064.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Personally I've never fully comprehended the idea of dressing up overly fancy for church.

Dressing up is certainly not required, and I suspect God doesn't mind as long as you are there. That said, some folks dress as an expression of honor and respect.

As a young man I was invited to go pheasant hunting with my then fiancé's family. I asked, "Why is your grandfather putting on a tie?" She said, "He always does that - to honor the bird."

And then I think, too, about whether I would go in Levi's and New Balances if my favorite President invited me to the White House for dinner? I wouldn't do it, so I should do less at the table with the King of Kings?

Re-entering the U.S. from a trip to Japan last summer I was struck by two things: how loud Americans are and how poorly we dress in comparison to the culture we had just been immersed in. Neither was something I felt particularly proud about.

My last church was known for its high churchmanship and formal worship. We were also two blocks from a Homeless Shelter and did a lot of outreach to that community. On Sunday morning, probably 1/4 of the men were in coat and tie, 1/2 in business casual, 1/8 in jeans or shorts, and 1/8 in smelly, stained rags. Nobody seemed to mind what someone else was wearing. We all shared the pew and the common cup just fine without regard to the chap next to us.

So, yeah, I am willing to sticking out like a sore thumb. I don't have to dress in a coat and tie every Sunday, but I'm not going to dress like I would sitting around my living room or working in the yard. I do it to honor our Lord and mark the occasion as something different and special. I neither require nor expect it of anyone else, but it is my preference.

Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟840,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Dress shoes with blue jeans. I have noticed that blue jeans are worn more and more in church services these days. I like to go in shirt and tie… But will also wear blue jeans along with a nice light weight jacket. I have been trying to determine the best shoes to go with blue jeans and have noticed that no two shoes are alike with this type dress. Dress shoes with blue jeans… Any ideas? Thanks!

How about a loafer of some sort, brown perhaps. It's in-between a tennis shoe and dress shoe, I think.

or that reveals hairy man toes.

I"m pretty good not seeing hairy man toes most any time.

Personally I've never fully comprehended the idea of dressing up overly fancy for church.

I've always worn a suit coat and slacks since I was in my parents house, and I never have liked it.To this day, I shed a tie as soon as I'm out the doors. But I can remember riding back roads with a girlfriend, folks were all dressed up and filing into a church for some service, and I was fussing about dressing up. She made a remark about how it was their way of honoring God, to which I didn't have much of reply. For all my church going growing up, that had never dawned on me.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums