Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Married
Read Luke 10:1-4

... no sandles (shoes)...

When Jesus sent out the 72 he told them no sandles. They would have been barefoot.
I love that as I like barefoot walking. It is a very humbling thing to do, and really connects you with where you are.

* Why do you think Jesus instructs ministering Christians to go barefoot?
Do you?

I think you should!

jacks

Er Victus
Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2010
Northwest US
✟675,511.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm humble...and I wear hiking boots in the shower!

I've always wondered why he said "greet no one along the road". Luke 10:4 I get this impression of poor, barefoot people walking by and that won't even say "Hi". :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,744.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Read Luke 10:1-4

... no sandles (shoes)...

When Jesus sent out the 72 he told them no sandles. They would have been barefoot.
I love that as I like barefoot walking. It is a very humbling thing to do, and really connects you with where you are.

* Why do you think Jesus instructs ministering Christians to go barefoot?
Do you?

I think you should!
-
When reading the Bible a person must be careful in reading. The verse about the sandals states, carry no sandals but does not say do not wear sandals. That could be meaning do not take an extra pair.

Upvote 0

Daniel9v9

Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Site Supporter
Jun 5, 2016
London
Visit site
✟403,321.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Yeah, the sandals in this text means heavier sandals used for long journeys, so a second pair. Jesus doesn’t say they should remove the sandals they’re currently wearing and go barefoot. The point of the text is that they should not worry about their provision but trust in God.

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟792,500.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
I don't know the Koine Greek nor the culture well enough to say one way or the other about this, but some things are figures of speech, or even ways to express an attitude with which to conduct oneself. Some things in Scripture make sense to some cultures that don't to us —some even MEAN something different to other cultures. We might say, "She walks about with her nose in the air". That doesn't mean she walks about with her nose in the air, but that she is proud or disdaining of others. For all I know, what Jesus told them was to conduct themselves in extreme humility. And maybe when he told them not to greet anyone along the way, he meant don't waste time in trivial talk with strangers, but hurry and get the job done.

The following is by way of example of what sort of thing I am talking about: There has been for some time now, in Christian circles, a tendency to take the early church's example for how the modern church should be conducted, because it is there for an example. Well, yes, it is there for an example, even a pattern, for us, but that doesn't mean we must do whatever they did the way they did it. They had several problems, that serve us as an example to be avoided. And how they dealt with those to correct them is a positive example. When it says that an elder should be blameless, what does that really mean? Are any of us blameless?

When we like the "What Would Jesus Do" idea, are we endowed with his authority? Well, yes, and no. We are not THE Son of God. We can't go around saying quite the things he did, for example.

Upvote 0

Tellyontellyon

Jan 19, 2020
Wales
✟112,799.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Married
Yeah, the sandals in this text means heavier sandals used for long journeys, so a second pair. Jesus doesn’t say they should remove the sandals they’re currently wearing and go barefoot. The point of the text is that they should not worry about their provision but trust in God.
How do you know it means that.. many people go barefoot and just keep sandles for in the towns or on harder tracks..
Fishermen and farmers wouldn't have worn sandles on boats or in mud.. Sandles were a luxury. That's how I would understand it, and they would be unlikely to have extra pairs anyway. These were poor people.

Upvote 0

Daniel9v9

Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Site Supporter
Jun 5, 2016
London
Visit site
✟403,321.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
How do you know it means that.. many people go barefoot and just keep sandles for in the towns or on harder tracks..
Fishermen and farmers wouldn't have worn sandles on boats or in mud.. Sandles were a luxury. That's how I would understand it, and they would be unlikely to have extra pairs anyway. These were poor people.
It’s true that there were some who didn’t wear sandals because of poverty (cf. Luke 15:22) and that there were instances where it would be impractical to wear, but to say that sandals were a luxury is not right. Sandals were common throughout Biblical times. We can know this from history, from how the church has understood this passage from early times, and from the Bible itself.

Let me give you a few example from the Bible:

Moses was keeping a flock when God told him to remove his sandals because the ground was holy. (Exodus 3)

In the Exodus account, God commanded His people the Israelites to eat the Passover meal while wearing sandals. They were slaves of Egypt at this point but about to be set free and therefore to be ready to leave in a hurry. (Exodus 12)

The Gibeonites deliberately wore worn and patched sandals in order to appear as if they had travelled far. (Joshua 9)

John the Baptist expresses Jesus’ superiority by saying that he is not worthy to even untie Jesus’ sandals. To remove a person sandals implies serving as a lowly servant. It comes from the fact that these servants would take off their master’s sandals, carry them, and wash their master’s feet. John is using this common illustration to rightly express his humility before the Lord. (Luke 3)

Peter was in prison but upon being rescued by an angel was told to dress and put on his sandals. (Acts 12)

Perhaps the clearest text we can cross-reference is Jesus’ sending of His twelve disciples in Mark 6:8-9: “Jesus charged them to take nothing for their journey except a staff — no bread, no bag, no money in their belts — but to wear sandals and not put on two tunics.”

In brief, knowing that sandals were common, both in OT times and in NT times, and comparing Jesus’ words to the seventy (or seventy-two) with His words to the twelve, we can understand that Jesus is not demanding that His disciples are to go barefoot, but rather to trust in the Lord and His good promises. God will provide for our needs. We can find the same promise which is given to all who believe in Jesus, even us in our time, in the Lord’s Prayer. Thanks be to God!

Hope this helps! God bless!

Upvote 0