Two nuns allegedly stole $500,000 for trips to Las Vegas, but the church doesn’t want to prosecute

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟839,713.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Members of a religious order stole for their order. Why should the civil government be involved? No one outside of the order was involved.

Perhaps, you all are fine with the civil governments reaching into religious organizations and determining the penalties for their crimes against one another. This is NOT a good idea. While there should be civil protections and punishments with regard to crimes by those in a religious community, actions that affect only the community should generally be their own business.

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That is true and I partially agree with you. But it also doesn't seem fair that if I stole something from you I would go to Jail and nothing is being done to these nuns just because they're nuns. So how is that fair?
what has fair got to do with it ?
we dont know that "nothing" wil happen to these nuns .. for one thing ,without repentance to god they will not be saved so it will all be equalized in the end . (repentance to a church does not equate to repentance to God.) no one gets away with anything .
but often employees have stolen from companies and their companies have dealt with it internally via laying the worker off without prosecute because some one decided to show mercy .
are we not to show mercy FIRST? does the scripture not say we are to judge such matters internally and NOT go to the world ? should we not hold the word of God above all other law ... ?
it is without question we MUST

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That is true and I partially agree with you. But it also doesn't seem fair that if I stole something from you I would go to Jail and nothing is being done to these nuns just because they're nuns. So how is that fair?

Nothing is being done to them by the legal system because the party they harmed has decided not to ask the legal system for redress. The fact they are nuns is irrelevant to the legal system. If they were atheists or any other sort of religious or non religious persons and had done the same thing but the party they did it to refused to press charges then they would not be held responsible by the legal authorities. There is nothing that gives nuns as a group a special dispensation from the secular law.

Upvote 0

Bumble Bee

Disciplemaker
Nov 2, 2007
Held together by Jesus and coffee
✟698,509.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
MOD HAT ON
This is a reminder that the topic of this thread is the actions of the nuns, not about the sexual abuse perpetrated by priests. Please post replies relevant to the topic of the nuns.
MOD HAT OFF

Upvote 0

Faith Unites

Mar 25, 2014
✟25,430.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
The order has the authority to put the nuns in solitary confinement on B&W for the rest of their lives. I'm not saying that they will (in fact, I doubt it very much), but they could.

There's actually not all that much difference between a jail and a convent.
What is b&w?

Upvote 0

Andrew77

The walking accident
Site Supporter
Feb 11, 2018
Ohio
✟138,616.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom