Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
There is a lot of wrong thinking in all of this. Circumcision was never to do with righteousness; circumcision is to do with sanctification; is to do with being set apart. Admittedly, circumcision does not make one Holy, but it is a beginning; one cannot be Holy unless one is first separated from the world; and this is a problem because most religious people could not be a more attached to the world if they tried.

That Jesus said, "Circumcision is a memorial..."' I cannot find where Jesus has said that or or anything like it, even in the Law and the Prophets.

"... this is a problem because most religious people could not be a more attached to the world if they tried." Excluding yourself, of course. <groan> So, in your prideful state, you judge everyone who doesn't agree with your flawed thinking as attached to the world? No arrogance there!

Upvote 0

pinacled

walking with the Shekinah
Apr 29, 2015
United states
✟171,798.77
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
There is a lot of wrong thinking in all of this. Circumcision was never to do with righteousness; circumcision is to do with sanctification; is to do with being set apart. Admittedly, circumcision does not make one Holy, but it is a beginning; one cannot be Holy unless one is first separated from the world; and this is a problem because most religious people could not be a more attached to the world if they tried.

That Jesus said, "Circumcision is a memorial..."' I cannot find where Jesus has said that or or anything like it, even in the Law and the Prophets.
Memorial of circumcision.
Vayikra
Leviticus 19:28
Galatians 6:17

Upvote 0

ralliann

christian
Jun 27, 2007
✟202,059.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I have read the NT and I have not found circumcision irrelevant
The question is in what is the relevance?
Ro 4:11 And he received the sign of circumcision, a seal of the righteousness of the faith which he had yet being uncircumcised: that he might be the father of all them that believe, though they be not circumcised; that righteousness might be imputed unto them also:

Circumcision was a prequisite to the covenant, one could not be included in the covenant without circumcision;
No see the above. Paul taught according to the law. Abraham circumcised his entire household, not just his natural sons. It was a sign and seal of his faith to be made a father to many nations not just one. which faith Abraham had while he was yet uncircumcised.
one could not be counted in the twelve tribes if not circumcised.
The Sinai covenant cannot abolish the promises, of the covenant which came before.
All the law is fulfilled in Christ. All Abraham's household was circumcised, a sign, a symbol of Gods promise to Abraham concerning many nations.
If we consider the Law to be the first four books of the “Law and the Prophets”,
Which law you can hear through Paul.
Two covenants with promise given Abraham, which circumcision is an outward symbol of all the promises.
then circumcision is a part of what cannot be changed.
No it cannot be changed, for the law from Sinai, cannot disanull the covenant promise of which it is a symbol of. Nor can it make void Abraham's faith

Luke 16:16-17 (RSV)
16 "The law and the prophets were until John; since then the good news of the kingdom of God is preached, and every one enters it violently.
17 But it is easier for heaven and earth to pass away, than for one dot of the law to become void.
Again the covenant made to Abraham concerning many nations is the law. The Sinai covenant 430 later CANNOT DISANULL or MAKE VOID!

The covenant of circumcision contains promises apart from the law of Moses. As they were before Moses.
Joh 7:22 Moses therefore gave unto you circumcision; (not because it is of Moses, but of the fathers;) and ye on the sabbath day circumcise a man.
Two covenants right there in the above verse. One has priority.
Sign of the covenant to Abraham, the other the sign of the covenant to Moses.
Consider Passover and the feast of it, unleavened bread. Both of which belong to the covenant made to Abraham concerning the fourth generation of his seed (natural as Isaac). Circumcision of the flesh therefore was required.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

pinacled

walking with the Shekinah
Apr 29, 2015
United states
✟171,798.77
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Ro 4:11 And he received the sign of circumcision, a seal of the righteousness of the faith which he had yet being uncircumcised: that he might be the father of all them that believe, though they be not circumcised; that righteousness might be imputed unto them also:

No see the above. Paul taught according to the law. Abraham circumcised his entire household, not just his natural sons. It was a sign and seal of his faith to be made a father to many nations not just one. which faith Abraham had while he was yet uncircumcised.

The Sinai covenant cannot abolish the promises, of the covenant which came before.
All the law is fulfilled in Christ. All Abraham's household was circumcised, a sign, a symbol of Gods promise to Abraham concerning many nations.

Two covenants with promise given Abraham, which circumcision is an outward symbol of all the promises.

No it cannot be changed, for the law from Sinai, cannot disanull the covenant promise of which it is a symbol of. Nor can it make void Abraham's faith

Again the covenant made to Abraham concerning many nations is the law. The Sinai covenant 430 later CANNOT DISANULL or MAKE VOID!

The covenant of circumcision contains promises apart from the law of Moses. As they were before Moses.
Joh 7:22 Moses therefore gave unto you circumcision; (not because it is of Moses, but of the fathers;) and ye on the sabbath day circumcise a man.
Consider Passover and the feast of it, unleavened bread. Both of which belong to the covenant made to Abraham concerning the fourth generation of his seed (natural as Isaac). Circumcision of the flesh therefore was required.
There was, is, and always will be One covenant promise of seed to produce fruits in the spirit...

Blessed be The Holy One

Upvote 0

sparow

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2014
✟488,858.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Memorial of circumcision.
Vayikra
Leviticus 19:28
Galatians 6:17

Lev, 19 is interesting; I have just finished cutting my hair and shaving; if there is condemnation for this I think it would be more because of the reasons why. From English tradition these practices are often to do with hygiene and of course pride; I do not think there is religious connotation.

I doubt Lev. 19:28 refers to circumcision; Leviticus 19:23 (NKJV)
23 'When you come into the land, and have planted all kinds of trees for food, then you shall count their fruit as uncircumcised. Three years it shall be as uncircumcised to you. It shall not be eaten.

Jeremiah 9:23-26 (NKJV)
23 Thus says the LORD: "Let not the wise man glory in his wisdom, Let not the mighty man glory in his might, Nor let the rich man glory in his riches;
24 But let him who glories glory in this, That he understands and knows Me, That I am the LORD, exercising lovingkindness, judgment, and righteousness in the earth. For in these I delight," says the LORD.
25 "Behold, the days are coming," says the LORD, "that I will punish all who are circumcised with the uncircumcised--
26 Egypt, Judah, Edom, the people of Ammon, Moab, and all who are in the farthest corners, who dwell in the wilderness. For all these nations are uncircumcised, and all the house of Israel are uncircumcised in the heart."

Galations 6:17; Paul is the prophet who testifies of himself; he doesn't have a second witness.

John 5:31-32 (NKJV)
31 "If I bear witness of Myself, My witness is not true.
32 There is another who bears witness of Me, and I know that the witness which He witnesses of Me is true.

Upvote 0

sparow

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2014
✟488,858.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single

What is the relevance? Does God know what He is doing? Is the question; is there a contest between Paul and God?

Romans 4:11 (NKJV)
11 And he received the sign of circumcision, a seal of the righteousness of the faith which he had while still uncircumcised, that he might be the father of all those who believe, though they are uncircumcised, that righteousness might be imputed to them also,

Had Jesus said this it would only be true if it was confirmed by the OT, which of course it cannot be. God does not impute righteousness.

The first half of this seems to be reasonable; Abraham was not circumcised when He received circumcision but as for the rest I do not think so. The possibilities are the translators didn't get it right.

11 And he received the sign of circumcision, a seal of the righteousness of the faith which he had while still uncircumcised, that he might be the father of all those who believe, though they are uncircumcised, that righteousness might be imputed to them also,

Had Jesus said this it would only be true if it was confirmed by the OT, which of course it cannot be. God does not impute righteousness.

The first half of this seems to be reasonable; Abraham was not circumcised when He received circumcision but as for the rest I do not think so. The possibilities are the translators didn't get it right.

Does any o these verses suggest that righteousness is imputed or by vicarious substitution:

Matthew 3:15 (NKJV)
15 But Jesus answered and said to him, "Permit it to be so now, for thus it is fitting for us to fulfill all righteousness." Then he allowed Him.

Matthew 5:6 (NKJV)
6 Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, For they shall be filled.

Matthew 5:10 (NKJV)
10 Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness' sake, For theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

Matthew 5:20 (NKJV)
20 For I say to you, that unless your righteousness exceeds the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, you will by no means enter the kingdom of heaven.

Matthew 6:1 (NKJV)
1 "Take heed that you do not do your charitable deeds before men, to be seen by them. Otherwise you have no reward from your Father in heaven.

Matthew 6:33 (NKJV)
33 But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you.

Matthew 21:32 (RSV)
32 For John came to you in the way of righteousness, and you did not believe him, but the tax collectors and the harlots believed him; and even when you saw it, you did not afterward repent and believe him.

Luke 1:74-75 (NKJV)
74 To grant us that we, Being delivered from the hand of our enemies, Might serve Him without fear,
75 In holiness and righteousness before Him all the days of our life.

John 16:7-13 (NKJV)
7 Nevertheless I tell you the truth. It is to your advantage that I go away; for if I do not go away, the Helper will not come to you; but if I depart, I will send Him to you.
8 And when He has come, He will convict the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:
9 of sin, because they do not believe in Me;
10 of righteousness, because I go to My Father and you see Me no more;
11 of judgment, because the ruler of this world is judged.
12 I still have many things to say to you, but you cannot bear them now.
13 However, when He, the Spirit of truth, has come, He will guide you into all truth; for He will not speak on His own authority, but whatever He hears He will speak; and He will tell you things to come.

There is more to circumcision than you seem to realise.

Exodus 4:26 (NKJV)
26 So He let him go. Then she said, "You are a husband of blood!"--because of the circumcision.

Genesis 17:14 (NKJV)
14 And the uncircumcised male child, who is not circumcised in the flesh of his foreskin, that person shall be cut off from his people; he has broken My covenant."

Does any of these verses suggest that righteousness is imputed or by vicarious substitution:

Matthew 3:15 (NKJV)
15 But Jesus answered and said to him, "Permit it to be so now, for thus it is fitting for us to fulfill all righteousness." Then he allowed Him.

Matthew 5:6 (NKJV)
6 Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, For they shall be filled.

Matthew 5:10 (NKJV)
10 Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness' sake, For theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

Matthew 5:20 (NKJV)
20 For I say to you, that unless your righteousness exceeds the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, you will by no means enter the kingdom of heaven.

Matthew 6:1 (NKJV)
1 "Take heed that you do not do your charitable deeds before men, to be seen by them. Otherwise you have no reward from your Father in heaven.

Matthew 6:33 (NKJV)
33 But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you.

Matthew 21:32 (RSV)
32 For John came to you in the way of righteousness, and you did not believe him, but the tax collectors and the harlots believed him; and even when you saw it, you did not afterward repent and believe him.

Luke 1:74-75 (NKJV)
74 To grant us that we, Being delivered from the hand of our enemies, Might serve Him without fear,
75 In holiness and righteousness before Him all the days of our life.

John 16:7-13 (NKJV)
7 Nevertheless I tell you the truth. It is to your advantage that I go away; for if I do not go away, the Helper will not come to you; but if I depart, I will send Him to you.
8 And when He has come, He will convict the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:
9 of sin, because they do not believe in Me;
10 of righteousness, because I go to My Father and you see Me no more;
11 of judgment, because the ruler of this world is judged.
12 I still have many things to say to you, but you cannot bear them now.
13 However, when He, the Spirit of truth, has come, He will guide you into all truth; for He will not speak on His own authority, but whatever He hears He will speak; and He will tell you things to come.

There is more to circumcision than you seem to realise.

Exodus 4:26 (NKJV)
26 So He let him go. Then she said, "You are a husband of blood!"--because of the circumcision.

Genesis 17:14 (NKJV)
14 And the uncircumcised male child, who is not circumcised in the flesh of his foreskin, that person shall be cut off from his people; he has broken My covenant."

<<Again the covenant made to Abraham concerning many nations is the law. The Sinai covenant 430 later CANNOT DISANULL or MAKE VOID!>>

I do not see anything wrong with this statement, but I suspect I would disagree with the context in which you say it. Why then does the New covenant, still made with Israel, annul at least one of those two covenants.

Upvote 0

ralliann

christian
Jun 27, 2007
✟202,059.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
What is the relevance? Does God know what He is doing?
Yes, why would you even ask? Makes for skepticism to even attempt dialogue.
Is the question; is there a contest between Paul and God?

Jas 2:23 And the scripture was fulfilled which saith, Abraham believed God, and it was imputed unto him for righteousness: and he was called the Friend of God.

Ge 15:6 And he believed in the LORD; and he counted it to him for righteousness.

Ps 106:31 And that was counted unto him for righteousness unto all generations for evermore.

Furthermore blood can be imputed as well
Le 7:18 And if any of the flesh of the sacrifice of his peace offerings be eaten at all on the third day, it shall not be accepted, neither shall it be imputed unto him that offereth it: it shall be an abomination, and the soul that eateth of it shall bear his iniquity.
Le 17:4 And bringeth it not unto the door of the tabernacle of the congregation, to offer an offering unto the LORD before the tabernacle of the LORD; blood shall be imputed unto that man; he hath shed blood; and that man shall be cut off from among his people:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Thera

Sep 21, 2019
Montreal
✟52,709.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Lev, 19 is interesting; I have just finished cutting my hair and shaving; if there is condemnation for this I think it would be more because of the reasons why. From English tradition these practices are often to do with hygiene and of course pride; I do not think there is religious connotation.

I doubt Lev. 19:28 refers to circumcision; Leviticus 19:23 (NKJV)
23 'When you come into the land, and have planted all kinds of trees for food, then you shall count their fruit as uncircumcised. Three years it shall be as uncircumcised to you. It shall not be eaten.
The solution to uncircumcised fruit... j/k
1.jpg

Seriously, though, uncircumcision was to Israelites as uncovenanted or unclean. Remember Dinah and the Shechemites? It would have been a shame and disgrace for Dinah, an Israelite girl, to marry an uncircumcised man. Either the foreskin had to go, or the whole male did. In the same way, uncircumcised fruit would have been avoided for three years.

Upvote 0