Usa
✟52,952.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
The problem is it is considered a gift not an inheritance. Abe gave gifts to the sons of his concubines not an inheritance. He left Isaac all that belonged to him when he died. Isaac was as an only begotten son, the sole heir.
All of Abraham's sons were begotten from him. For example the prodigal son, the mother(s) are not mentioned. The prodigal son asked for his inheritance, as a result the elder son received his inheritance as well (Luke 15:11). All the father has belongs to the eldest son, not the youngest son (Luke 15:31); yet the prodigal son still obtained his inheritance. Granted Abraham gave all that he had left to Isaac, but Ishmael his older brother is also a firstborn. Isaac and Ishmael buried their father together (Genesis 25:9). Ishmael would become the father of 12 rulers; Isaac would become the grandfather of 12 tribes. Abraham prayed for and blessed both of his sons. He "gave gifts to his people" (Ephesians 4:8).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ralliann

christian
Jun 27, 2007
✟201,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
All of Abraham's sons were begotten from him. For example the prodigal son, the mother(s) are not mentioned. The prodigal son asked for his inheritance, as a result the elder son received his inheritance as well. All the father has belongs to the eldest son, not the youngest son. Granted Abraham gave all that he had left to Isaac, but Ishmael his older brother is also a firstborn. Isaac and Ishmael buried their father together. Ishmael would become the father of 12 rulers; Isaac would become the grandfather of 12 tribes. Abraham prayed for and blessed both of his sons. He "gave gifts to his people" (Ephesians 4:8).
Isaac was not firstborn, but an only born.
Ge 22:2 And he said, Take now thy son, thine only son Isaac, whom thou lovest, and get thee into the land of Moriah; and offer him there for a burnt offering upon one of the mountains which I will tell thee of.
12 And he said, Lay not thine hand upon the lad, neither do thou any thing unto him: for now I know that thou fearest God, seeing thou hast not withheld thy son, thine only son from me.
16 And said, By myself have I sworn, saith the LORD, for because thou hast done this thing, and hast not withheld thy son, thine only son:
Like Christ Jesus

Joh 1:14 And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.
Joh 1:18 No man hath seen God at any time; the only begotten Son, which is in the bosom of the Father, he hath declared him.
Joh 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
Joh 3:18 He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.
Heb 11:17 By faith Abraham, when he was tried, offered up Isaac: and he that had received the promises offered up his only begotten son,
1Jo 4:9 In this was manifested the love of God toward us, because that God sent his only begotten Son into the world, that we might live through him.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Mercy74

Mercy Messianic Judaism
Mar 15, 2017
Usa
✟52,952.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Isaac was not firstborn, but an only born.
Ge 22:2 And he said, Take now thy son, thine only son Isaac, whom thou lovest, and get thee into the land of Moriah; and offer him there for a burnt offering upon one of the mountains which I will tell thee of.
12 And he said, Lay not thine hand upon the lad, neither do thou any thing unto him: for now I know that thou fearest God, seeing thou hast not withheld thy son, thine only son from me.
16 And said, By myself have I sworn, saith the LORD, for because thou hast done this thing, and hast not withheld thy son, thine only son:
Abraham had sent Hagar and her son away (Genesis 21:8, Genesis 21:14). Isaac at this time was the "only son" left. We all know Abraham had another son Ishmael (Genesis 21:13). Isaac is the "only son" of Sarah, which makes him also a firstborn son from his mother; the two mothers represent two covenants (Galatians 4:24).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ralliann

christian
Jun 27, 2007
✟201,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Abraham had sent Hagar and her son away (Genesis 21:8, Genesis 21:14). Isaac at this time was the "only son" left. We all know Abraham had another son Ishmael (Genesis 21:13). Isaac is the "only son" of Sarah, which makes him also a firstborn son from his mother; the two mothers represent two covenants (Galatians 4:24).
***Cast away because he was not an heir with Isaac....
Ge 21:10 Wherefore she said unto Abraham, Cast out this bondwoman and her son: for the son of this bondwoman shall not be heir with my son, even with Isaac.

*** No inheritance for the prodigal son. It was his due portion for his labor of service

12 And the younger of them said to his father, Father, give me the portion of goods that falleth to me. And he divided unto them his living.
13 And not many days after the younger son gathered all together, and took his journey into a far country, and there wasted his substance with riotous living.

***The elder son is heir of all his father has.
31 And he said unto him, Son, thou art ever with me, and all that I have is thine.

Ga 4:1 Now I say, That the heir, as long as he is a child, differeth nothing from a servant, though he be lord of all;

• Informative
Reactions: Mercy74
Upvote 0

Mercy74

Mercy Messianic Judaism
Mar 15, 2017
Usa
✟52,952.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Cast away because he was not an heir with Isaac....
Ge 21:10 Wherefore she said unto Abraham, Cast out this bondwoman and her son: for the son of this bondwoman shall not be heir with my son, even with Isaac.
No inheritance for the prodigal son. It was his due portion for his labor

12 And the younger of them said to his father, Father, give me the portion of goods that falleth to me. And he divided unto them his living.
13 And not many days after the younger son gathered all together, and took his journey into a far country, and there wasted his substance with riotous living.
The elder son is heir of all his father has.
31 And he said unto him, Son, thou art ever with me, and all that I have is thine.
Ga 4:1 Now I say, That the heir, as long as he is a child, differeth nothing from a servant, though he be lord of all;
The key word here is "with", Isaac and Ishmael will not become "co-heirs" (Genesis 21:10 csb). "Though he be lord of all" (Romans 8:17) , you see the elder son never received any pay for his labor (Luke 15:29). For you to say the text says the father paid his sons for their labor is a bit disingenuous on your part to say the least. A father may give his children an allowance, not nearly enough wages to leave to far away country and live lavishly (possibly pay prostitutes). The scriptures explicitly states "share of the estate" property was divided. I doubt employees or slaves commonly afforded property rights in the Jewish community; although some companies do allow "profit sharing" but that is a stretch! I never heard of employees having property rights. The goods of the company do not belong to a slave. The prodigal gets sandals, ring, robe a great feast (Luke 15:22).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ralliann

christian
Jun 27, 2007
✟201,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
The key word here is "with", Isaac and Ishmael will not become "co-heirs" (Genesis 21:10 csb). "Though he be lord of all" (Romans 8:17) , you see the elder son never received any pay for his labor (Luke 15:29). For you to say the text says the father paid his sons for their labor is a bit disingenuous on your part to say the least.
I never said the sons were paid for their labor. One son was paid because he demanded it. The elder son stayed with his father and served to build his fathers estate thus remaining as an heir. Which estate would become his own upon the death of his father.
A father may give his children an allowance, not nearly enough wages to leave to far away country and live lavishly (possibly pay prostitutes). The scriptures explicitly states "share of the estate" property was divided.
It was what he had earned for his service to his father. He demanded his pay and left.
I doubt employees or slaves commonly afforded property rights in the Jewish community; although some companies do allow "profit sharing" but that is a stretch! I never heard of employees having property rights. The goods of the company do not belong to a slave. The prodigal gets sandals, ring, robe a great feast (Luke 15:22).
What property rights? The son left the estate and property taking payment as his wages.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Mercy74

Mercy Messianic Judaism
Mar 15, 2017
Usa
✟52,952.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
I never said the sons were paid for their labor. One son was paid because he demanded it. The elder son stayed with his father and served to build his fathers estate thus remaining as an heir. Which estate would become his own upon the death of his father.

It was what he had earned for his service to his father. He demanded his pay and left.

What property rights? The son left the estate and property taking payment as his wages.
The younger son asked for his "share" not pay. The problem with your ideokogy; it is not plainly stated in Scripture. The Scripture explicitly stated the father divides his PROPERTY. The text never says pay for labor. Your ideas are not cogent and do not agree with basic Jewish practice or customs. All of the sons of a king are heirs or princes. You don't have a father with one son as a slave the other son an heir. Abraham had two wives; two covenants; two mother's; two agreements; one slave and one free woman. The covenants do not include their children; both sons are heirs. In fact Ishmael was predicted to become an heir.

Upvote 0

ralliann

christian
Jun 27, 2007
✟201,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
The younger son asked for his "share" not pay. The problem with your ideokogy; it is not plainly stated in Scripture. The Scripture explicitly stated the father divides his PROPERTY. The text never says pay for labor. Your ideas are not cogent and do not agree with basic Jewish practice or customs. All of the sons of a king are heirs or princes. You don't have a father with one son as a slave the other son an heir. Abraham had two wives; two covenants; two mother's; two agreements; one slave and one free woman. The covenants do not include their children; both sons are heirs. In fact Ishmael was predicted to become an heir.

Here is the scripture.
Gal 4:1
1 Now I say, That the heir, as long as he is a child, differeth nothing from a servant, though he be lord of all;
2 But is under tutors and governors until the time appointed of the father.

It is his living, his substance not his inheritance.

Lu 15:19 And am no more worthy to be called thy son: make me as one of thy hired servants
A will ( of inheritance) has no force until the time of death.

Heb 9:17 For a testament is of force after men are dead: otherwise it is of no strength at all while the testator liveth.

Heirs are as bondmen until the time appointed of the father. The father is the testator of the will previously appointing his heirs.

The prodigal son behaved as a hired servant wanting his portion due him. He then left to build his own house and life.
It is not I which is proposing unbiblical notions here. Gifting is not an inheritance.

Upvote 0

ralliann

christian
Jun 27, 2007
✟201,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed

Here is the scripture.
1 Now I say, That the heir, as long as he is a child, differeth nothing from a servant, though he be lord of all;

Lu 15:19 And am no more worthy to be called thy son: make me as one of thy hired servants

Heb 9:17 For a testament is of force after men are dead: otherwise it is of no strength at all while the testator liveth.

Heirs are as bondmen (unpaid servants) until the time appointed of the father. The father is the testator of the will previously appointing his heirs.

The prodigal son behaved as a hired servant wanting his portion due him. He then left to build his own house and life.
It is not I which is proposing unbiblical notions here. Gifting is not an inheritance.

Upvote 0

Mercy74

Mercy Messianic Judaism
Mar 15, 2017
Usa
✟52,952.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Here is the scripture.

Heirs are as bondmen (unpaid servants) until the time appointed of the father. The father is the testator of the will previously appointing his heirs.

What is an heir? An heir has an inheritance. A servant need not ask for his pay; the text does not say "pay" the father divided his PROPERTY. An inheritance deals with property rights, please look it up in the dictionary. A servant is paid not given property rights. A servant has only TEMPORARY residence; but a son dwells in the house forever (John 8:35). The prodigal son returned home to his father's property. Your logic is void of common Torah practice.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ralliann

christian
Jun 27, 2007
✟201,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
What is an heir? An heir has an inheritance.
..... Did you miss this verse and what it says?
An "heir differs nothing from a bondservant"
A bondservant works as a "bondman"
A servant need not ask for his pay;
Exactly, an heir need not ask. He receives it at the time pre arranged in his will...….
"until the time pre arranged by his father".....

the text does not say "pay" the father divided his PROPERTY.
It was goods and substance that was designated to him. He desired it for his own living, his substance. He took these goods not as an inheritance. An heir waits until the time prearranged in his fathers will.
He wished the goods as an hireling, not an heir (bondman)
12 "And the younger of them said to his father, Father, give me the portion of goods that falleth to me. And he divided unto them his living".
An inheritance deals with property rights, please look it up in the dictionary. A servant is paid not given property rights. A servant has only TEMPORARY residence;
19 And am no more worthy to be called thy son: make me as one of thy hired servants.

21 And the son said unto him, Father, I have sinned against heaven, and in thy sight, and am no more worthy to be called thy son.

but a son dwells in the house forever (John 8:35).
The elder son stayed with his father as a bondservant.
29 And he answering said to his father, Lo, these many years do I serve thee, neither transgressed I at any time thy commandment: and yet thou never gavest me a kid, that I might make merry with my friends:

The prodigal son returned home to his father's property.
Your logic is void of common Torah practice.
I am giving you the scripture concerning these things. I suggest you look into what scripture says concerning servants as hired, servants of bondage etc. Their masters even own their wives and children in certain circumstances.
But as you even quoted yourself the heir remains in the house. Sadly you ignored your own quote. Why would you pay any attention to mine? Finished here.

Upvote 0

Mercy74

Mercy Messianic Judaism
Mar 15, 2017
Usa
✟52,952.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
..... Did you miss this verse and what it says?
An "heir differs nothing from a bondservant"
A bondservant works as a "bondman"

Exactly, an heir need not ask. He receives it at the time pre arranged in his will...….
"until the time pre arranged by his father".....

It was goods and substance that was designated to him. He desired it for his own living, his substance. He took these goods not as an inheritance. An heir waits until the time prearranged in his fathers will.
He wished the goods as an hireling, not an heir (bondman)
12 "And the younger of them said to his father, Father, give me the portion of goods that falleth to me. And he divided unto them his living".

19 And am no more worthy to be called thy son: make me as one of thy hired servants.

21 And the son said unto him, Father, I have sinned against heaven, and in thy sight, and am no more worthy to be called thy son.

The elder son stayed with his father as a bondservant.
29 And he answering said to his father, Lo, these many years do I serve thee, neither transgressed I at any time thy commandment: and yet thou never gavest me a kid, that I might make merry with my friends:

I am giving you the scripture concerning these things. I suggest you look into what scripture says concerning servants as hired, servants of bondage etc. Their masters even own their wives and children in certain circumstances.
But as you even quoted yourself the heir remains in the house. Sadly you ignored your own quote. Why would you pay any attention to mine? Finished here.
Although a heir is no different than a BONDSERVANT, he is still an heir; "lord of all". A BONDSERVANT does not receive wages! Please use your dictionary! Again a BONDSERVANT does not receive pay or wages! Your whole doctrine is wrong!

Upvote 0

sparow

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2014
✟487,658.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Isaac is the son of Sarah; Sarah the grandmother of Israel. The Jews are like Isaac; children of the promise.

Everything in the OT is a TYPE for the NT. What is the Promise? Is it not the inheritance passed down from Abraham to his second son, from Isaac to his second son, and the promise or inheritance finishes up with two of Joseph's sons and their descendants. Now following prophesy, today that promise or inheritance is being withdraw or is being bought up by foreigners.

Upvote 0

sparow

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2014
✟487,658.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I am wondering how covenant theology views the two covenants made with Abraham?
God makes one covenant with Abraham in Genesis 15. Then later he makes another covenant with Abraham in Genesis 17.
The first speaks concerning the fourth generation of his seed, the second speaks concerning Isaac the first generation of his seed.
Are their various views on this in covenantalism?

The first covenant is for Land or a type of the kingdom of God; the second covenant is to do with who will populate the kingdom; identified by circumcision or separation from the world.

Upvote 0

Mercy74

Mercy Messianic Judaism
Mar 15, 2017
Usa
✟52,952.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Everything in the OT is a TYPE for the NT. What is the Promise? Is it not the inheritance passed down from Abraham to his second son, from Isaac to his second son, and the promise or inheritance finishes up with two of Joseph's sons and their descendants. Now following prophesy, today that promise or inheritance is being withdraw or is being bought up by foreigners.
Abraham never disinherited his son Ishmael; as the father never disinherited his prodigal son. The father divided his PROPERTY between his sons ( Luke 15:12). Ishmael and Isaac are firstborns to "open the womb" (Exodus 34:19). Israel is my firstborn (Exodus 4:22).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Gup20

Site Supporter
Jul 11, 2019
Albertville
✟157,738.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Abraham never disinherited his son Ishmael; as the father never disinherited his prodigal son. The father divided his PROPERTY between his sons ( Luke 15:12). Ishmael and Isaac are firstborns to "open the womb" (Exodus 34:19). Israel is my firstborn (Exodus 4:22).
[Gal 4:21-31 NASB]
21 Tell me, you who want to be under law, do you not listen to the law? 22 For it is written that Abraham had two sons, one by the bondwoman and one by the free woman. 23 But the son by the bondwoman was born according to the flesh, and the son by the free woman through the promise. 24 This is allegorically speaking, for these [women] are two covenants: one [proceeding] from Mount Sinai bearing children who are to be slaves; she is Hagar. 25 Now this Hagar is Mount Sinai in Arabia and corresponds to the present Jerusalem, for she is in slavery with her children. 26 But the Jerusalem above is free; she is our mother. 27 For it is written, "REJOICE, BARREN WOMAN WHO DOES NOT BEAR; BREAK FORTH AND SHOUT, YOU WHO ARE NOT IN LABOR; FOR MORE NUMEROUS ARE THE CHILDREN OF THE DESOLATE THAN OF THE ONE WHO HAS A HUSBAND." 28 And you brethren, like Isaac, are children of promise. 29 But as at that time he who was born according to the flesh persecuted him [who was born] according to the Spirit, so it is now also. 30 But what does the Scripture say? "CAST OUT THE BONDWOMAN AND HER SON, FOR THE SON OF THE BONDWOMAN SHALL NOT BE AN HEIR WITH THE SON OF THE FREE WOMAN." 31 So then, brethren, we are not children of a bondwoman, but of the free woman.

[Gen 21:10-13 NASB]
10 Therefore she said to Abraham, "Drive out this maid and her son, for the son of this maid shall not be an heir with my son Isaac." 11 The matter distressed Abraham greatly because of his son. 12 But God said to Abraham, "Do not be distressed because of the lad and your maid; whatever Sarah tells you, listen to her, for through Isaac your descendants shall be named. 13 "And of the son of the maid I will make a nation also, because he is your descendant."

[Gen 17:4-7, 18-21 NASB]
4 "As for Me, behold, My covenant is with you, And you will be the father of a multitude of nations. 5 "No longer shall your name be called Abram, But your name shall be Abraham; For I have made you the father of a multitude of nations. 6 "I will make you exceedingly fruitful, and I will make nations of you, and kings will come forth from you. 7 "I will establish My covenant between Me and you and your descendants after you throughout their generations for an everlasting covenant, to be God to you and to your descendants after you. ... 18 And Abraham said to God, "Oh that Ishmael might live before You!" 19 But God said, "No, but Sarah your wife will bear you a son, and you shall call his name Isaac; and I will establish My covenant with him for an everlasting covenant for his descendants after him. 20 "As for Ishmael, I have heard you; behold, I will bless him, and will make him fruitful and will multiply him exceedingly. He shall become the father of twelve princes, and I will make him a great nation. 21 "But My covenant I will establish with Isaac, whom Sarah will bear to you at this season next year."​

So we see that God says that Ishmael (who represents The Law allegorically) will become a great nation (singular) with 12 princes, while Isaac (representing the covenant of faith) will be the sole heir and will become many nations. Allegorically, Ishmael represents Judaism, while Isaac represents Christianity.... Ishmael represents the physical descendants of Abraham (the Hebrews), while Isaac represents the spiritual descendants of Abraham (those with faith in the gospel of Christ).

Upvote 0

Mercy74

Mercy Messianic Judaism
Mar 15, 2017
Usa
✟52,952.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
[Gal 4:21-31 NASB]
21 Tell me, you who want to be under law, do you not listen to the law? 22 For it is written that Abraham had two sons, one by the bondwoman and one by the free woman. 23 But the son by the bondwoman was born according to the flesh, and the son by the free woman through the promise. 24 This is allegorically speaking, for these [women] are two covenants: one [proceeding] from Mount Sinai bearing children who are to be slaves; she is Hagar. 25 Now this Hagar is Mount Sinai in Arabia and corresponds to the present Jerusalem, for she is in slavery with her children. 26 But the Jerusalem above is free; she is our mother. 27 For it is written, "REJOICE, BARREN WOMAN WHO DOES NOT BEAR; BREAK FORTH AND SHOUT, YOU WHO ARE NOT IN LABOR; FOR MORE NUMEROUS ARE THE CHILDREN OF THE DESOLATE THAN OF THE ONE WHO HAS A HUSBAND." 28 And you brethren, like Isaac, are children of promise. 29 But as at that time he who was born according to the flesh persecuted him [who was born] according to the Spirit, so it is now also. 30 But what does the Scripture say? "CAST OUT THE BONDWOMAN AND HER SON, FOR THE SON OF THE BONDWOMAN SHALL NOT BE AN HEIR WITH THE SON OF THE FREE WOMAN." 31 So then, brethren, we are not children of a bondwoman, but of the free woman.

[Gen 21:10-13 NASB]
10 Therefore she said to Abraham, "Drive out this maid and her son, for the son of this maid shall not be an heir with my son Isaac." 11 The matter distressed Abraham greatly because of his son. 12 But God said to Abraham, "Do not be distressed because of the lad and your maid; whatever Sarah tells you, listen to her, for through Isaac your descendants shall be named. 13 "And of the son of the maid I will make a nation also, because he is your descendant."

[Gen 17:4-7, 18-21 NASB]
4 "As for Me, behold, My covenant is with you, And you will be the father of a multitude of nations. 5 "No longer shall your name be called Abram, But your name shall be Abraham; For I have made you the father of a multitude of nations. 6 "I will make you exceedingly fruitful, and I will make nations of you, and kings will come forth from you. 7 "I will establish My covenant between Me and you and your descendants after you throughout their generations for an everlasting covenant, to be God to you and to your descendants after you. ... 18 And Abraham said to God, "Oh that Ishmael might live before You!" 19 But God said, "No, but Sarah your wife will bear you a son, and you shall call his name Isaac; and I will establish My covenant with him for an everlasting covenant for his descendants after him. 20 "As for Ishmael, I have heard you; behold, I will bless him, and will make him fruitful and will multiply him exceedingly. He shall become the father of twelve princes, and I will make him a great nation. 21 "But My covenant I will establish with Isaac, whom Sarah will bear to you at this season next year."​

So we see that God says that Ishmael (who represents The Law allegorically) will become a great nation (singular) with 12 princes, while Isaac (representing the covenant of faith) will be the sole heir and will become many nations. Allegorically, Ishmael represents Judaism, while Isaac represents Christianity.... Ishmael represents the physical descendants of Abraham (the Hebrews), while Isaac represents the spiritual descendants of Abraham (those with faith in the gospel of Christ).
How so? Isaac and Ishmael are both PHYSICAL sons of Abraham. G-d PROMISED that Ishmael would become a great nation AND give birth to 12 princes. If his sons are princes this means Ishmael is a king. Isaac gave birth to Israel (Judiasm) and Esau. G-d PROMISED to make their father Abraham into a great nation; the same promise was made to Ishmael. A son is not greater than his father (John14:28).

Upvote 0

Gup20

Site Supporter
Jul 11, 2019
Albertville
✟157,738.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
How so? Isaac and Ishmael are both PHYSICAL sons of Abraham. G-d PROMISED that Ishmael would become a great nation AND give birth to 12 princes. If his sons are princes this means Ishmael is a king. Isaac gave birth to Israel (Judiasm) and Esau. G-d PROMISED to make their father Abraham into a great nation; the same promise was made to Ishmael. A son is not greater than his father (John14:28).
The “everlasting covenant” was to the “promised descendant”. If you look at the original Hebrew, it says “to you and to your seed (singular).” That seed is the messiah Jesus Christ. Jesus said “no man comes to the Father except by me.”

God preached the gospel to Abraham and when Abraham believed the gospel of Jesus Christ, he was made righteous. This was 430 years before the law, and the covenant of faith God makes with Abraham — that the seed (singular) would inherit that righteousness as an everlasting inheritance — means that only those who are “in Christ” and have the same faith in the gospel that Abraham had and was given righteousness for in Genesis 15 are counted as heirs of the promise.

Also, note that Abraham was made righteous for his faith in the gospel BEFORE he was circumcised... while he was a Gentile. God then changes his name to Abraham signifying he would have many adopted children from many nations, and then offers the everlasting covenant to those descendants in Genesis 17. Indeed, regarding Christ and those descendants, Isaiah prophesied:

Isaiah 54:1 (NASB) "Shout for joy, O barren one, you who have borne no child; Break forth into joyful shouting and cry aloud, you who have not travailed; For the sons of the desolate one will be more numerous Than the sons of the married woman," says the LORD.

This means the adopted, spiritual heirs greatly outnumber the physical heirs.

Upvote 0

sparow

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2014
✟487,658.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single

Semantics aside, Abraham passed something on to Isaac that Ishmael didn't get, Isaac never disinherited Esau yet Esau sold something to Jacob for a plate of porridge; and this something was handed down, within Israel, and finished up with Manasseh and Ephraim, while the blessing or inheritance were divided between them, I believe the division was not even. Not that the rest of Israel was disinherited, the were inherited differently,

Upvote 0

Mercy74

Mercy Messianic Judaism
Mar 15, 2017
Usa
✟52,952.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
The “everlasting covenant” was to the “promised descendant”. If you look at the original Hebrew, it says “to you and to your seed (singular).” That seed is the messiah Jesus Christ. Jesus said “no man comes to the Father except by me.”

God preached the gospel to Abraham and when Abraham believed the gospel of Jesus Christ, he was made righteous. This was 430 years before the law, and the covenant of faith God makes with Abraham — that the seed (singular) would inherit that righteousness as an everlasting inheritance — means that only those who are “in Christ” and have the same faith in the gospel that Abraham had and was given righteousness for in Genesis 15 are counted as heirs of the promise.

Also, note that Abraham was made righteous for his faith in the gospel BEFORE he was circumcised... while he was a Gentile. God then changes his name to Abraham signifying he would have many adopted children from many nations, and then offers the everlasting covenant to those descendants in Genesis 17. Indeed, regarding Christ and those descendants, Isaiah prophesied:

Isaiah 54:1 (NASB) "Shout for joy, O barren one, you who have borne no child; Break forth into joyful shouting and cry aloud, you who have not travailed; For the sons of the desolate one will be more numerous Than the sons of the married woman," says the LORD.

This means the adopted, spiritual heirs greatly outnumber the physical heirs.
The children of Sarah shall outnumber Hagar; Sarah was barren. The children of the promise shall outnumber those born after the flesh. Both Isaac and Ishmael are physical heirs

Upvote 0