Two Alabama clinics pause IVF services after court rules that embryos are children

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟243,234.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
I've told you how I interpret it. My problem is with people who interpret it literally. It means that they truly believe that if God tells them to do something, then however horrifying it might appear to be, it's acceptable.

Some people fly planes into buildings because they think it's what their God wants.
Ok. I understand.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,378.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)

Speaker Johnson Takes Stand Against IVF Protection: Report

Recently, at least two Senate Republicans have also blocked legislation to protect IVF after Democrats put up bills to support the procedure. Millions of babies have been born via IVF.

Speaking at the GOP retreat in West Virginia Thursday, Johnson said “he does not think Congress has a role to play when it comes to IVF, as some members have been pushing for in wake of Alabama ruling. But [he] says all Republicans support access to IVF,” according to CNN Capitol Hill reporter Melanie Zanona.

I guess he thinks 'thoughts and prayers' is a better way to support IVF than legislation.

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

The pickles are up to something
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,191,657.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

Speaker Johnson Takes Stand Against IVF Protection: Report

Recently, at least two Senate Republicans have also blocked legislation to protect IVF after Democrats put up bills to support the procedure. Millions of babies have been born via IVF.

Speaking at the GOP retreat in West Virginia Thursday, Johnson said “he does not think Congress has a role to play when it comes to IVF, as some members have been pushing for in wake of Alabama ruling. But [he] says all Republicans support access to IVF,” according to CNN Capitol Hill reporter Melanie Zanona.

I guess he thinks 'thoughts and prayers' is a better way to support IVF than legislation.
Another winning position for the GOP.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,378.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Another winning position for the GOP.
You'd think this would be easy to put behind them. IVF must be way more popular than abortion, which itself is favored by a majority of Americans (to be legal at some level).

Now when the Republicans would rather avoid talking about abortion and other reproduction topics, their grand strategy to quell the fears of American women is to... do nothing.

Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟300,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
You'd think this would be easy to put behind them. IVF must be way more popular than abortion, which itself is favored by a majority of Americans (to be legal at some level).

Now when the Republicans would rather avoid talking about abortion and other reproduction topics, their grand strategy to quell the fears of American women is to... do nothing.
Some of them insist on putting on their old-style hockey mask and grabbing a knife.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟212,659.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Nope. That’s my answer. We must protect life or face the consequences.
Zero abortions equals both women and fetus deaths. Sure, there will probably be more babies born than women dead, but that is little consolation for the families of the dead women.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟212,659.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Abortion isn’t health care, nor is it “reproductive rights”.
Abortion is certainly health care and reproductive rights. Did you know that sometimes a fetus is so malformed or misimplanted that should the pregnancy continue, the woman's life and reproductive organs will be at risk.

Those are euphemisms to hide what abortion truly is; baby murder.
Baby murder is an inaccurate dysphemism.

Reactions: camille70
Upvote 0

Adam56

Nov 4, 2023
Nashville
✟15,479.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Abortion is certainly health care and reproductive rights. Did you know that sometimes a fetus is so malformed or misimplanted that should the pregnancy continue, the woman's life and reproductive organs will be at risk.
You’re singling out rare cases of abortions in medical emergencies, which are covered by law (or at least should be in the opinion of most pro-lifers.)

Selective abortions for convenience are the vast majority of abortions.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟212,659.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You’re singling out rare cases of abortions in medical emergencies, which are covered by law (or at least should be in the opinion of most pro-lifers.)
Yeah, "or should be" but isn't.

Selective abortions for convenience are the vast majority of abortions.
Yes, women like to be in control of their bodies and lives.

Reactions: comana
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DaisyDay

Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟212,659.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The baby inside them isn’t their body though, they shouldn’t be allowed to kill it for convenience, it’s wrong.
The fetus inside the body is harming that body, sometimes gravely or fatally. The fetus is taking blood and bone from the body. Perhaps the body should have a say.

Upvote 0

Adam56

Nov 4, 2023
Nashville
✟15,479.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The fetus inside the body is harming that body, sometimes gravely or fatally. The fetus is taking blood and bone from the body. Perhaps the body should have a say.
Why is the fetus doing that though? Did that person who caused the fetus there play any role in why it is there?

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟212,659.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟243,234.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Yeah, "or should be" but isn't.

Yes, women like to be in control of their bodies and lives.
The baby inside her body isn’t her body. It’s someone else’s body and life.

Reactions: Adam56
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,378.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
A broader look at 'fetal personhood' laws in the States.

Four states have passed personhood statutes, though one, in Arizona, was blocked by a court. At least 17 others have debated similar legislation in recent years, according to data from Pregnancy Justice, the Center for Reproductive Rights and the Guttmacher Institute, a nonprofit research center that supports abortion rights. Those efforts are separate from often-longstanding references to personhood in states’ criminal codes.

Alabama added a fetal personhood clause to its constitution in 2018. Six years later, the Alabama Supreme Court pointed to that amendment in ruling that frozen embryos created through in vitro fertilization were “extrauterine children.” Anyone who destroyed a frozen embryo, either willfully or accidentally, could be held liable, the court concluded.

1711720883939.png

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟368,220.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
No. people chose to freeze embryos. God respects human free will, that doesn’t make sin right. All sin has consequences
Like the birth of a beautiful baby to loving Christian parents who would otherwise not have the opportunity to raise kids?

How could sin result in that?

Upvote 0