Stockholm
✟8,640.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Hello, I am a Turkish convert to Orthodoxy and I have a question. Since I speak Turkish there are several religious expressions in the everyday language that are typically associated with Islam such as:

Allah! ("Oh my God!")
Inshallah ("God willing")
Mashallah ("Wow")
Selam aleykum ("Hello/peace be upon you")

Etc.

It is quite natural for me to use such exclamations as a native speaker. My question is whether Oriental Orthodox Christians use these expressions as well, thus making it OK to continue using them? For me, the expressions are not necessarily Islamic since "Allah" is simply the Arabic name for God, presumably also used by Arabic Christians?

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟634,456.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I'm merely a lay person in our parish.
However we have several families in the parish that have Arabic as their first language. I've heard the first three.

Reactions: Mikail
Upvote 0

rusmeister

A Russified American Orthodox Chestertonian
Dec 9, 2005
Eastern Europe
Visit site
✟435,670.00
Country
Montenegro
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Merhaba!
Ben ingilizce ogretmenim, biraz Turkçe çalistim.
(My keyboard doesn’t have all the necessary diacritical marks.)
There should be no religious problem at all, because, as you say, the word “Allah” really does translate as “God”. Culturally, as EC pointed out, they might well not use that one expression. I would not worry too much about it. We come into the Church, and learn gradually. People - both converts and “cradle” Orthodox, are at all different stages of knowledge and understanding. The main thing is to be ready to accept authoritative correction.

Upvote 0

Mikail

Aug 28, 2023
Stockholm
✟8,640.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Merhaba!
Ben ingilizce ogretmenim, biraz Turkçe çalistim.
(My keyboard doesn’t have all the necessary diacritical marks.)
There should be no religious problem at all, because, as you say, the word “Allah” really does translate as “God”. Culturally, as EC pointed out, they might well not use that one expression. I would not worry too much about it. We come into the Church, and learn gradually. People - both converts and “cradle” Orthodox, are at all different stages of knowledge and understanding. The main thing is to be ready to accept authoritative correction.
Merhaba, memnun oldum. I'm glad to hear that it doesn't seem to be a problem, since it would be quite unnatural for me to stop using such expressions. I think the word "Allah" stems from the Hebrew word "Elohim" so it's not an Islamic invention. If I remember correctly I think "Allah" is also the word for God in Aramaic, which means Jesus himself would've used it or something similar.

I'm just trying to clear this up because I don't know any Arabic Christians.

Upvote 0

E.C.

Jan 12, 2007
✟136,858.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
That's what I thought, it's probably an exclusive Muslim greeting that might not be appropriate for me to keep using. But I'm not sure.
No problem. I am seeing my Arab Christian friends in a few weeks, so I can ask.
From what I remember, amongst Arab Christians, you are not wrong to use "salaam alaikum" however, because it is mandated in Islam the Christians tend not to use it amongst themselves. They will still use it when interacting with their Muslim neighbors and friends.

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟868,737.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
For me, the expressions are not necessarily Islamic since "Allah" is simply the Arabic name for God, presumably also used by Arabic Christians?
We have hymns in Arabic which use the word, yes. I recall years ago in East Timor (and I think Indonesia also) there was a lot of violence - Christians murdered and churches destroyed - perpetrated my Muslims who were upset by Christians using "Allah" in their church services.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums