• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Trying to Trust

Mari17

Jun 17, 2017
Newport
✟143,212.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
ERP is going against what your (overactive) conscience tells you.
I think that's a great description, actually! Yes, the problem with those of us who have OCD/scrupulosity is that we have a VERY overactive conscience; a conscience that forces us to rely on our own perfectionism rather than allowing room for God's grace. So yes, with ERP the goal is to work against that; not against our God-given, balanced conscience, but against the overactive part of our conscience, against our tendency for perfectionism and excessive self-control. So I would argue that ERP is actually a good thing, because it teaches us to trust - in the Christian's case, to trust God - more. Dr. Ian Osborn has some good blog posts about using OCD treatment as a way to practice trust and growth in God. Here's one: THERAPY FOR SALVATION DOUBTS – OCD & CHRISTIANITY

Upvote 0

TenthAveN

Puppies are an acceptable form of currency.
Jun 18, 2020
North Texas
✟49,506.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I think that's a great description, actually! Yes, the problem with those of us who have OCD/scrupulosity is that we have a VERY overactive conscience; a conscience that forces us to rely on our own perfectionism rather than allowing room for God's grace. So yes, with ERP the goal is to work against that; not against our God-given, balanced conscience, but against the overactive part of our conscience, against our tendency for perfectionism and excessive self-control. So I would argue that ERP is actually a good thing, because it teaches us to trust - in the Christian's case, to trust God - more. Dr. Ian Osborn has some good blog posts about using OCD treatment as a way to practice trust and growth in God. Here's one: THERAPY FOR SALVATION DOUBTS – OCD & CHRISTIANITY
It’s tough to decipher which is which. Do we stick with what the Word says? How do we know if we’re pressing too far?

Upvote 0

Mari17

Jun 17, 2017
Newport
✟143,212.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It’s tough to decipher which is which. Do we stick with what the Word says? How do we know if we’re pressing too far?
For me, asking a trusted godly person (who doesn't have OCD) often helps. They can usually see where I'm being obsessive, even when it's hard for me to tell. Also, I think we can kind of also sense when we're being obsessive, even if we're "afraid" that we're not. I think it's important to remember that (in our obsessive issues at least) we tend to swing too far toward extreme perfectionism, so trying to balance back the other way is good.

For what it's worth, the examples that you gave of being afraid to eat certain foods, and being afraid to associate yourself with California, both sound quite obsessive to me.

Upvote 0

gingertail27

Dec 8, 2020
New York
✟13,826.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I agree with Mari17,

I actually have ocd that makes me scared of eating certain food/ and wearing certain clothes as well. For a long time, and still, now, I was scared that It was God telling me not to eat it and if I disobey it then I'm sinning, but with therapy, medication, and talking to godly people I'm finally managing it.

Reactions: Mari17
Upvote 0