Dec 27, 2017
✟481,735.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Did you tell them the Holy Spirit would indwell them as soon as they believe? If so, why? Did you learn that from scripture or did spme pastor tell you that?
In my Church these things happen at our baptism. At least that is when it is asked for.
We dunk people three times ( in the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit).
None of us fully understand the indwelling. We can better understand when we think spiritually and not of the natural.
You will never (on earth) know if one you bring to Christ is really converted. That is something only God knows. It isn't even our business. It is our business to spread the gospel. If you are called to teach or preach your responsibly increases but even then we can only guess if someone is saved.
I do understand your concern. I have the same concerns. But it is not for us to judge the salvation of one who claims Christ as thier saviour. Now if the Holy Ghost instructs you to go to one claiming salvation and tells you they are not, that would change everything I have said. But I have never heard of that happening.
Makes sense. Oftentimes, we Christians get so passionate about the lost that we try to take upon ourselves the role of God in conversion, instead of just doing our job which is witnessing.

• Friendly
Reactions: teresa
Upvote 0

Valetic

Addicted to CF
Site Supporter
Jun 1, 2018
Georgia, USA
✟58,296.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Did you tell them the Holy Spirit would indwell them as soon as they believe?

No, I say it will when they are born again. For me it happened the moment I repented. God turned away from His wrath and showed me favor for acknowledging accepting trusting and believing in Him.

In my Church these things happen at our baptism. At least that is when it is asked for.
We dunk people three times ( in the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit).

I was saved apart from water baptism and wasn't at church or around my church family when it happened, just my blood family.

You will never (on earth) know if one you bring to Christ is really converted. That is something only God knows. It isn't even our business. It is our business to spread the gospel. If you are called to teach or preach your responsibly increases but even then we can only guess

How am I supposed to know what I am doing is working if I get no feedback or testimony from the seed I planted?

But it is not for us to judge the salvation of one who claims Christ as thier saviour.

But isn't there supposed to be evidence showing that one who claims to believe in Jesus is in fact one of God's elect?

Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,929,694.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
No, I say it will when they are born again. For me it happened the moment I repented. God turned away from His wrath and showed me favor for acknowledging accepting trusting and believing in Him. I was saved apart from water baptism and wasn't at church or around my church family when it happened, just my blood family.
True for me as well. There is no question that I became a Christian on Nov 2, 1986 (because that's when EVERYTHING changed in my life), not six months later when I was baptized.

There is a denomination or two out there that teaches that you cannot be saved apart from the waters of baptism, which goes even beyond our Roman Catholics friends, who believe the same thing essentially (IOW, that baptism is salvific), but they allow for various exceptions nevertheless.

How am I supposed to know what I am doing is working if I get no feedback or testimony from the seed I planted? ... isn't there supposed to be evidence showing that one who claims to believe in Jesus is in fact one of God's elect?
If someone you helped becomes a Christian immediately afterwards, don't worry, they'll let you know :)

As for evidence, first off, baby Christians are normally VERY excited about what just happened to them, so it's kind of hard to miss, and they usually want to let everyone know anyway. Beyond that, are they living their lives for Jesus with the 24/7 desire to please Him in all they do/say/think, and for His and His Father's glory, or are they just saying that they've become Christians and are (or have quickly returned to) living the way they always did before they made that claim? If it's the latter, I can pretty much guarantee you that their "claim" is nothing more than that.

Yours and His,
David

Upvote 0

Dan the deacon

Jul 10, 2018
Perry
✟28,197.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No, I say it will when they are born again. For me it happened the moment I repented. God turned away from His wrath and showed me favor for acknowledging accepting trusting and believing in Him.

I was saved apart from water baptism and wasn't at church or around my church family when it happened, just my blood family.

How am I supposed to know what I am doing is working if I get no feedback or testimony from the seed I planted?

But isn't there supposed to be evidence showing that one who claims to believe in Jesus is in fact one of God's elect?
I have to ask: What do you believe baptism is for?

Upvote 0

Valetic

Addicted to CF
Site Supporter
Jun 1, 2018
Georgia, USA
✟58,296.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I have to ask: What do you believe baptism is for?

My definition is that it is a public declaration or public revelation of what God has done for a specific individual. An outward showing of an inward work. A symbol for a person's spiritual birth. A symbol of being baptised in Jesus's death by going under water and a symbol of being resurrected with Christ by coming out of the water.

Beyond that I don't see how baptism can save a person because what saved me was the belief I had in my heart like in Romans 10:10 I became justified. Baptism was not necessary for my salvation experience although I did it later for the experience or to say I did it I guess.

Upvote 0

Valetic

Addicted to CF
Site Supporter
Jun 1, 2018
Georgia, USA
✟58,296.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
True for me as well. There is no question that I became a Christian on Nov 2, 1986 (because that's when EVERYTHING changed in my life), not six months later when I was baptized.

There is a denomination or two out there that teaches that you cannot be saved apart from the waters of baptism, which goes even beyond our Roman Catholics friends, who believe the same thing essentially (IOW, that baptism is salvific), but they allow for various exceptions nevertheless.

If someone you helped becomes a Christian immediately afterwards, don't worry, they'll let you know :)

As for evidence, first off, baby Christians are normally VERY excited about what just happened to them, so it's kind of hard to miss, and they usually want to let everyone know anyway. Beyond that, are they living their lives for Jesus with the 24/7 desire to please Him in all they do/say/think, and for His and His Father's glory, or are they just saying that they've become Christians and are (or have quickly returned to) living the way they always did before they made that claim? If it's the latter, I can pretty much guarantee you that their "claim" is nothing more than that.

Yours and His,
David

This is more along the lines of what I am looking for :)

Upvote 0

drich0150

Mar 16, 2008
Florida
✟44,834.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
As an employer DO NOT witness to people at work unless you first have permission. not only of the people you work for but of the people you are talking to. have something signed. otherwise if you say something someone finds offensive they can turn it into a company problem and the employer maybe in trouble for something he knows nothing about.

Just I ____-_______ do so willing have a religious conversation with _______-_________ and do not hold the employer responsible for the words or thoughts in said conversation and sign and date. If someone is not willing to do this then you should NOT be talking to them about such things.

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟777,861.00
Country