Earth
✟1,466,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I thought it was St. Basil the Great, but I can't seem to remember where I saw it. It was regarding death being the mercy of God so that sin would not become immortalized... anyone know where it is?

I think that’s in the Hexameron. but I know it’s from a lot of Fathers.

Upvote 0

Petros2015

Jun 23, 2016
undisclosed Bunker
✟290,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I thought it was St. Basil the Great, but I can't seem to remember where I saw it. It was regarding death being the mercy of God so that sin would not become immortalized... anyone know where it is?

I found this, since I think it might be in a commentary on Genesis 3:22 - possibly it or something similar could be on this site, thought I didn't see one from him specifically on Genesis 3

22 And the Lord God said, “The man has now become like one of us, knowing good and evil. He must not be allowed to reach out his hand and take also from the tree of life and eat, and live forever.”

St. Basil on Creation - Patristic Bible Commentary

I don't see it citing sources though, which is unfortunate, but on the surface it seems more or less legitimate to me

Upvote 0

WanderedHome

Jul 26, 2019
Southern US
✟35,023.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I think that’s in the Hexameron. but I know it’s from a lot of Fathers.
I found this, since I think it might be in a commentary on Genesis 3:22 - possibly it or something similar could be on this site, thought I didn't see one from him specifically on Genesis 3

22 And the Lord God said, “The man has now become like one of us, knowing good and evil. He must not be allowed to reach out his hand and take also from the tree of life and eat, and live forever.”

St. Basil on Creation - Patristic Bible Commentary

I don't see it citing sources though, which is unfortunate, but on the surface it seems more or less legitimate to me

Ah, I just realized I have the book Patristic Treasury. I found it in St. Gregory Nazianzen's Orations (38:12)
"Death is a gain, for it cuts off sin, so that evil may not be immortal. Thus God's punishment is changed into a mercy; for it is in mercy, I am persuaded, that God inflicts punishment."

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Ah, I just realized I have the book Patristic Treasury. I found it in St. Gregory Nazianzen's Orations (38:12)
"Death is a gain, for it cuts off sin, so that evil may not be immortal. Thus God's punishment is changed into a mercy; for it is in mercy, I am persuaded, that God inflicts punishment."

good find

Reactions: WanderedHome
Upvote 0