Try Linux Thread

Feb 2, 2013
✟19,178.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
it didn't work video real well

Are you using the proprietary drivers? sometimes the open-source drivers don't work as well but the video playback dramatically improves when you use the proprietary drivers. on ubuntu it is really easy to switch to the proprietary drivers, no command line needed last I checked

With linux it always seemed there was always something that didn't quite work right..like the lousy wireless connection on the laptop downstairs...but some of that is simply me not having enough time devoted to getting the bugs worked out..I've no experience using command line so I want to work out issues w/o using that so something I have to learn.

Most of this stuff is resolvable, some of it just takes a little more work. Many distributions, like Ubuntu, have an incredible amount of community support behind them. More than likely you could get all those problems ironed out if you ask around their forums: Ubuntu Forums

Upvote 0

MrJim

Legend 3/17/05
Mar 17, 2005
FEMA Region III
✟42,622.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Are you using the proprietary drivers? sometimes the open-source drivers don't work as well but the video playback dramatically improves when you use the proprietary drivers. on ubuntu it is really easy to switch to the proprietary drivers, no command line needed last I checked

Most of this stuff is resolvable, some of it just takes a little more work. Many distributions, like Ubuntu, have an incredible amount of community support behind them. More than likely you could get all those problems ironed out if you ask around their forums: Ubuntu Forums

Yes you are correct it's a matter of me putting more time and effort into it~~which I do plan to do.:thumbsup:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

EphesiaNZ

It's me! Who else could it be...
Apr 19, 2011
New Zealand
✟15,297.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Linux is like a toy, you play with it until you get bored of it and then put it away. :)

You have it wrong, Windows is the toy, Linux is the box the toy came in. Some kids find the box much more interesting to play with when they get bored of the toy.

Upvote 0

lesliedellow

Sep 20, 2010
United Kingdom
Visit site
✟104,175.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Interested in trying Linux?

Maybe you want to dual boot just to start?

If anyone is interested just post in this thread and I'll see if I can help :)

No thanks. I am noy a [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse].

Upvote 0

endofrope

Dec 9, 2014
✟7,715.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Gentoo Linux:

18329766673e8917a04b1b6.jpg

Hardly a Guru though. I get by.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Jacob Jilg

Feb 19, 2015
Nebraska
✟8,016.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I usually can't stand looking at the ui design of a Linux distro, but then OS X Yosemite happened, so now I have to live with the design of Linux distro, lol.

No, but really: I've replaced Windows XP on my dad's really old PC that he doesn't use with Xubuntu since XP is no longer supported, and when I was watching cable with WinTV (before Dishanywhere), I installed Mythbuntu onto a vm in Vmware Fusion so I could watch and DVR cable.

Upvote 0