New Zealand
✟15,297.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Interested in trying Linux?

Perhaps it should be a Linux Challenge?

We should dare people to give it a go. Who's up for a challenge and ready to face a few daemons (yes, daemons are in every computer)?

If anyone has an old machine say 3-10 years old laying around then you should take up the challenge. Breath life into an old or "useless" Windows/Mac.

We're in such a throw away world that to re-purpose something like this could actually give a few of you that "feel good" feeling. Many times I have heard of people finding an old PC or laptop in a dumpster which they rescue and give it a few extra years life.

Well people the choice is yours...

Upvote 0
Feb 2, 2013
✟19,178.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Perhaps it should be a Linux Challenge?

We should dare people to give it a go. Who's up for a challenge and ready to face a few daemons (yes, daemons are in every computer)?

If anyone has an old machine say 3-10 years old laying around then you should take up the challenge. Breath life into an old or "useless" Windows/Mac.

We're in such a throw away world that to re-purpose something like this could actually give a few of you that "feel good" feeling. Many times I have heard of people finding an old PC or laptop in a dumpster which they rescue and give it a few extra years life.

Well people the choice is yours...

Yes, this! :thumbsup:

Upvote 0
Feb 2, 2013
✟19,178.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Some screenshots to boost interest:

Ubuntu 14.10
800px-Ubuntu_14.10_Desktop.png

Fedora 20
800px-Fedora_20_GNOME.png

openSUSE 13.1
800px-OpenSUSE_13.1_Desktop.png

Linux Mint 17
800px-Linux_Mint_17_%28Qiana%29_Cinnamon.png

Debian 7
800px-Debian.png

Upvote 0

Lachrymose

Oct 16, 2008
✟15,369.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I used to have a Windows Home Server box that I was using as a web server, email server, file server, etc.

WHS was discontinued, so I figured, what the heck? I'll build my own box and install Ubuntu Server on it.

It was quite a challenge, but I've learned so much. And it's free!

I dabble in Ubuntu desktop occasionally, but I still use Windows PCs as my main computers. Maybe one day...

Upvote 0

Cute Tink

Blah
Site Supporter
Nov 22, 2002
✟125,391.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Unix

Hebr incl Sirach&epigraph, Hermeneut,Ptolemy,Samar
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2003
ECC,Torah:ModeCommenta,OTL,AY BC&RL,Seow a ICC Job
Visit site
✟139,217.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Might be an idea for my old Pentium D computer which doesn't even have a HDD. But I wouldn't have any software to put in it. Does The Word Bible Study software work in Linux?:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Lachrymose

Oct 16, 2008
✟15,369.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Might be an idea for my old Pentium D computer which doesn't even have a HDD. But I wouldn't have any software to put in it. Does The Word Bible Study software work in Linux?:

Not sure about that particular software, but there's this:

Bible Analyzer Linux

Edit: I just looked up The Word and it doesn't appear to support Linux. Might run under WINE, though.

Upvote 0

MrJim

Legend 3/17/05
Mar 17, 2005
FEMA Region III
✟42,622.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Nice, any reason why you picked Mint?

I have it dual booted on both the PCs in the house though it doesn't get used much at all. Used Ubuntu as a sole OS on my oldest son's computer for about a year some time ago...it didn't work video real well but he was a good sport about it. But I'm not married to it or anything~~general head towards to the most "user-friendly".

With linux it always seemed there was always something that didn't quite work right..like the lousy wireless connection on the laptop downstairs...but some of that is simply me not having enough time devoted to getting the bugs worked out..I've no experience using command line so I want to work out issues w/o using that so something I have to learn.

Upvote 0