Trust in Media 2023 YouGov Poll - Huge Divide Between Republicans and Democrats - A majority of Republicans trust only FoxNews and the Weather Channel

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,534.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
In this year's trust in media poll — conducted from April 3 - 9, 2023 — YouGov asked Americans to say whether they trust, distrust, or neither trust nor distrust the media organizations. From the results, it is possible to determine each outlet's net trust score – that is, how much more likely Americans are to say the outlet is trustworthy or very trustworthy than untrustworthy or very untrustworthy.

The Weather Channel is just one of two outlets polled about that a majority of Republicans trust; the other one is Fox News (56% of Republicans trust it, with a net trust score among them of +41).

This graph is pretty astonishing. Republicans (net) mistrust almost every possible media source.

I mean, it's not surprising that Democrats are more likely to trust Politico or Huffpo than Republicans, but Democrats don't really trust them all that much. All the major broadcast networks and AP and Reuters earn a lot more trust.

It's not surprising that Republicans trust FOX, OAN, Newsmax more than Democrats do, but I do find it surprising that Republicans trust them more than anything other than the Weather Channel.

OAN is more trustworthy than Forbes? NewsMax is more trustworthy than the AP? Only in Bizarro world.

On the flip side, if Republican leaning voters aren't trusting the media, who are they trusting? Unfortunately, I think we know all too well. Some guy on YouTube, this twitter post with a lot of likes, Truth Social...

1683565813704.png

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟368,230.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
The clearest thing that this tells me is that Republicans only trust the 3 news sources that have clear bias towards their views.

That's too bad. Sometimes, the truth is hard to hear.

Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟991,340.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
In this year's trust in media poll — conducted from April 3 - 9, 2023 — YouGov asked Americans to say whether they trust, distrust, or neither trust nor distrust the media organizations. From the results, it is possible to determine each outlet's net trust score – that is, how much more likely Americans are to say the outlet is trustworthy or very trustworthy than untrustworthy or very untrustworthy.

The Weather Channel is just one of two outlets polled about that a majority of Republicans trust; the other one is Fox News (56% of Republicans trust it, with a net trust score among them of +41).

This graph is pretty astonishing. Republicans (net) mistrust almost every possible media source.

I mean, it's not surprising that Democrats are more likely to trust Politico or Huffpo than Republicans, but Democrats don't really trust them all that much. All the major broadcast networks and AP and Reuters earn a lot more trust.

It's not surprising that Republicans trust FOX, OAN, Newsmax more than Democrats do, but I do find it surprising that Republicans trust them more than anything other than the Weather Channel.

OAN is more trustworthy than Forbes? NewsMax is more trustworthy than the AP? Only in Bizarro world.

On the flip side, if Republican leaning voters aren't trusting the media, who are they trusting? Unfortunately, I think we know all too well. Some guy on YouTube, this twitter post with a lot of likes, Truth Social...

View attachment 330863
There's a huge imbalance in the level of trust Republicans place in media when compared to Democrats.

Does this say something about an innate anxiety in the Republican population or a misplaced optimism in the Democrat population?

OB

Reactions: rambot
Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,534.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Does this say something about an innate anxiety in the Republican population or a misplaced optimism in the Democrat population?

I doubt it's possible to authoritatively say what the correct amount of trust/skepticism is, but certainly the parties were far more similar a few decades ago.

The parties drifted apart on the issue, but then a certain someone really drove the wedge in.

1683601662260.png

• Informative
Reactions: Occams Barber
Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,701.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
How in the world can people not have trust in C-SPAN? It's literally a content neutral talk show in the morning and then live hearings and house proceedings the rest of the time.

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,429,926.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I doubt it's possible to authoritatively say what the correct amount of trust/skepticism is, but certainly the parties were far more similar a few decades ago.

The parties drifted apart on the issue, but then a certain someone really drove the wedge in.

View attachment 330882

...it would be interesting to see what influenced the Republicans after 2002 and again in 2015...

Upvote 0

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟487,028.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
How in the world can people not have trust in C-SPAN? It's literally a content neutral talk show in the morning and then live hearings and house proceedings the rest of the time.
They don't tell people what they wish were true - how can a source like that be trusted for honest reporting?

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟143,389.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
They don't tell people what they wish were true - how can a source like that be trusted for honest reporting?
Besides it the content is always all long & boring…they’d just rather go somewhere (else) and then have someone will tell them what was said/done.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟897,364.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
So many people are far too trusting...

I don't trust any of them.
The weather channel cannot lie other than that none of the news services are trustworthy unless and until they quit being bias.

Upvote 0

Yttrium

Independent Centrist
May 19, 2019
Pacific NW
✟246,006.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
The weather channel cannot lie other than that none of the news services are trustworthy unless and until they quit being bias.
Lie schmie, I wouldn't trust any weather forecasters to provide an accurate forecast. Sometimes they don't even get it in the ballpark.

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟897,364.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Lie schmie, I wouldn't trust any weather forecasters to provide an accurate forecast. Sometimes they don't even get it in the ballpark.
difference is assuming they are following the science they cannot lie as there is literally no way of knowing the forecast as they are not God.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

stevil

Godless and without morals
Feb 5, 2011
✟249,915.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
It's a strange report. It treats a network as if the network is consistent with its trustworthiness across the board. It doesn't account for the difference between journalism vs opinion shows etc.

When FoxNews had Shep Smith and Chris Wallace, both those guys were somewhat trustworthy. But they were very, very different from opinion shows such as Tucker, Hannity, Piro which were all just nonsense inflamatory trash.

Perhaps if a network were to be judged overall, one ought to land on their websites and see how they prioritise articles.
Right now on CNN the new of former President Trump been found guilty of sexual abuse is their high profile article. Meanwhile on FoxNews their high profile article is about a trans-woman being disappointed about not being able to compete in the Olympics.

If you ask me, one of these articles is absolutely worthy of being the top article, the other article, has some interest I guess but probably should be near the bottom of the list, certainly isn't front page stuff.

Upvote 0

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟487,028.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
And they don't even change their forecasts with sharpie markers when they're wrong. What kind of honest reporting is that?

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,670.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

View attachment 330863
Forbes is pretty bad these days (or at least, a very mixed bag), but it's also ranked about as high as Breitbart, which... loool.

Because their media literacy is abysmal.

Upvote 0