Trump's trade agenda on the verge of imploding

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Do taxes help people or make the situation worse? The fact is that every law, every tax, every bureaucratic proclamation hurts some people and helps other people.

Do the tariffs help the farmers or make their situation worse?

Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Admiral of the Fleet/First Sea Lord
Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Is this supposed to be humor?
Fact. No government official creates jobs. As a government official, Donald Trump creates no jobs. As a business man, he created many jobs, employed many people. His policies now affect the business climate, which encourages or discourages business.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
That's the best way to avoid paying the tariffs.

US companies don't go to China = China loses.
US companies don't return to America = America loses.

Where's the upside here?

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Fact. No government official creates jobs. As a government official, Donald Trump creates no jobs. As a business man, he created many jobs, employed many people. His policies now affect the business climate, which encourages or discourages business.

Well, that just makes his current failures all the more embarrassing.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Fortunately (and of course, coincidentally), clothing items are exempt from the tariffs.

59908909_1481531025316832_1072452449047937024_n.jpg

59914554_1481533221983279_456880307207929856_n.jpg

60313275_1481533228649945_4149362797949485056_n.jpg
59845773_1481532281983373_817076468176650240_n.jpg

Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
So where's the problem?
Government. The less I have to do with the government, the less effect they have on me. I consume as little as I can, so as not to contribute to the garbage problem, and the recycling problem. I save for my retirement. I buy clothes when I need them.

Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Well, that just makes his current failures all the more embarrassing.
I don't see many failures. But every man has failed at one time or another. In fact many times a day, more than likely.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Government. The less I have to do with the government, the less effect they have on me. I consume as little as I can, so as not to contribute to the garbage problem, and the recycling problem. I save for my retirement. I buy clothes when I need them.

And still our government hurts us with tariffs.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I don't see many failures. But every man has failed at one time or another. In fact many times a day, more than likely.

Well, nobody enjoys failure; least of all Donald.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟557,941.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

Not only is that not a fact, it's an asinine right-wing talking point that's so easily falsifiable that all it takes to do so is to look at the government itself.

*points to DC*

Who are all those people working for the federal government? Do they get paid to be there? Yes? Who created those jobs?

*points to your state capitol*

Who are all those people working for your state government? Do they get paid to be there? Yes? Who created those jobs?

*points to your city hall*

Who are all those people working for your city government? Do they get paid to be there? Yes? Who created those jobs?

*points to afghanistan*

Who are all those people in uniforms carrying guns? Do they get paid to be there? Yes? Who created those jobs?

*points to airport*

Who are all those people in uniforms carrying guns? Do they get paid to be there? Yes? Who created those jobs?

All those jobs were created by government officials. On top of that, the federal government is a huge source of funding for scientific research, which also creates tons of jobs. On top of that, our comprehensive system of laws and justice enables the creation of millions more jobs.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Root of Jesse

Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Not only is that not a fact, it's an asinine right-wing talking point that's so easily falsifiable that all it takes to do so is to look at the government itself.

*points to DC*

Who are all those people working for the federal government? Do they get paid to be there? Yes? Who created those jobs?

*points to your state capitol*

Who are all those people working for your state government? Do they get paid to be there? Yes? Who created those jobs?

*points to your city hall*

Who are all those people working for your city government? Do they get paid to be there? Yes? Who created those jobs?

*points to afghanistan*

*points to airport*

All those jobs were created by government officials. On top of that, the federal government is a huge source of funding for scientific research, which also creates tons of jobs. On top of that, our comprehensive system of laws and justice enables the creation of millions more jobs.
Actually, the airlines create the jobs at the airport. I probably could have said 'productive' jobs. The point is that the government doesn't create productive jobs. Also, you and I pay for every one of those. Who pays for the cashier? Who creates the need for the cashier? Not the government. The government perceives a need and fills it. The government spends money. Doesn't make money.

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,427,424.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Speaking of the aircraft industry, the US Exports figures are about to take a huge hit due to the Boeing 737-MAX production stoppage. Boeing sells a lot of 737's to China....and with the current trade spat, the Chinese government could decide to order it's airlines to order from other non-US companies instead -- i.e. Airbus.

• Informative
Reactions: USincognito
Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟557,941.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Actually, the airlines create the jobs at the airport.

They don't create the security jobs. Also, there's a case to be made that without the oversight provided by the FAA, the airlines would be creating far fewer jobs because air travel would be a lot more risky.

I probably could have said 'productive' jobs. The point is that the government doesn't create productive jobs.

That's also nonsense. The government is, if you will, in the business of providing services rather than goods. Services can be very productive. Doctors, lawyers, researchers, managers and administrators, businesses analysts, and a host of other professions provide services. Government mostly covers administration, regulation, and security, along with some health care. Those are all valuable and productive. If you don't think so, take a look at the economies of countries that don't have strong government institutions and strong legal systems - they're typically poor and very corrupt. The stability that enables us to be wealthy is a service that's provided directly and primarily by the government.

Also, you and I pay for every one of those. Who pays for the cashier?

We also pay for the cashier, unless you think Walmart installs them there as a courtesy.

Who creates the need for the cashier? Not the government.

Who funded the basic research needed to develop the materials and components in the product you just bought? Who built the highways on which the truck drove to deliver that product to the store? Who built the roads on which the cashier drove to get to that job? Who built the water line that feeds the plumbing in that store? Who developed the data communication systems that allow that store to communicate with the outside world? Who enforces the laws that lower the risk (and therefore the cost) of operating a store?

Not Walmart.

The government perceives a need and fills it.

Just like business.

The government spends money.

Just like business.

Doesn't make money.

Depends. No, it's not designed to turn a profit, but it even manages to do that on occasion. Regardless, the fact that it's not designed to turn a profit for itself doesn't mean that it doesn't create value. It just means that it doesn't retain the value for itself.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟907,955.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married

Apparently my job is not a job.

Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Speaking of the aircraft industry, the US Exports figures are about to take a huge hit due to the Boeing 737-MAX production stoppage. Boeing sells a lot of 737's to China....and with the current trade spat, the Chinese government could decide to order it's airlines to order from other non-US companies instead -- i.e. Airbus.
And yet the biggest user of the 737 MAX is still in the US. And if China wants to go that way, they would know that Airbus is second class to Boeing.

Upvote 0

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA
✟1,750,453.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
And taxes. And regulations.
Tariffs are a tax. They disproportionately tax lower and middle income folks.

When Walmart brings in items from China to sell, they pay the tariff - not China. Walmart then passes on the cost of the tariffs to the consumer - us.

That is one way the tariffs hurt.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Apparently my job is not a job.
There is a big difference between a government job and a private sector job. Government jobs are largely non-productive. That doesn't mean you don't do anything, just like non-profit doesn't mean you don't earn money. I've been on both sides. In a private sector job, if I'm not contributing to the growth of the company, I can lose my job. In a public sector job, it's practically impossible to lose your job.

Again, it's hilarious when people take something you said specifically, and try to apply it generally, or something you said generally, and try to apply it specifically.

There is no doubt that public sector employees provide services and take home a paycheck. And, having been one, I am grateful for that. But there's a difference between being an employer and being a bureaucrat.

Upvote 0