Texas
✟77,930.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Trump says he told Pence not to call governors who aren’t ‘appreciative’ of White House coronavirus efforts

President Donald Trump said Friday that he instructed Vice President Mike Pence not to reach out to governors who aren’t “appreciative” of his administration’s efforts to slow the spread of the coronavirus in their states.

“If they don’t treat you right, I don’t call,” Trump said of those state leaders.

“I think they should be appreciative. Because you know what? When they’re not appreciative to me, they’re not appreciative to the Army Corps [of Engineers], they’re not appreciative to FEMA. It’s not right,” Trump told reporters at a daily press briefing at the White House.

The president mentioned Washington Gov. Jay Inslee and Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer, both Democrats who have been critical of the White House’s actions to combat the deadly pandemic.

Trump said that Pence “calls all the governors. And I tell him, I’m a different type of person, and I say, ’Mike, don’t call the governor of Washington. You’re wasting your time with him.”

“Don’t call the woman in Michigan. It doesn’t make any difference what happens,” Trump also said he told Pence, who leads the U.S. response to the coronavirus.

Evan Jellicoe

Aug 2, 2016
downstate Illinois
✟22,984.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I have read reports about this. I assume the reports are true. However, in order to be fair, I am going to do some more fact-checking before offering any opinions on this topic.
I'll be back shortly.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -

So, I found the video of this statement by Trump. Yes, GACfan quotes him accurately. Trump really did say that he told Pence not to call the governor of Washington, or the “woman in Michigan” because “you’re wasting your time.” (He also hinted that Pence might have called them anyway because Pence is a “nice guy,” but he is not like Pence. He actually said that.) He self-praised—in extravagant language, and multiple times—the work that he and the federal government have done so far. He criticized and belittled what the governors of Washington and Michigan have done. He comes across in the video as a very, very small and mean-spirited person.

This comes down to the basic moral bedrock that I’ve mentioned elsewhere. Trump established himself as a petty bully way back in 2015. He insults people. He calls people names in a childish attempt to make them seem small. He holds grudges and never lets an attack go unanswered. He turns to revenge rather than forgiveness. All the while, he praises himself and builds himself up in every way possible. In short, he does things exactly the opposite of the way that a Christian is supposed to do. On the campaign trail it just makes him look small and mean-spirited (except to other people who admire that sort of conduct). But in the actual conduct of his office, it is inexcusable to refuse even to communicate with a governor who isn’t “nice” to him, who doesn’t show (in his estimation) enough “appreciation.” When personal pettiness actually interferes with carrying out one’s duties effectively, it is not unreasonable for people to question his fitness for office. Then, add in his penchant for making false statements in an utterly casual way, even when the falsehoods can easily be disproved with photos or audio/video recordings. He never backs down, and he never apologizes. He is everything I raised my own children not to be.

But it is not his personal shortcomings that are the main reason I do not support Trump. It is my conviction, from studying the Bible with greater focus on political matters since 2015, that while neither political party can honestly be called “Christian,” the Republican platform is actually further away from Biblical principles than the Democratic platform is. Especially in the matter of abortion, but also in economic matters.

So, yeah, Trump really did say all those petty and unprofessional things about those governors. And there is no way to defend such talk from a Christian viewpoint.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So, did Trump say he would not help those people?

And what is meant by "reaching out" to them?

The following from the OP's link would indicate they are just hard to get along with, and yes, I think there is more to this...as usual.

"Trump said that Pence “calls all the governors. And I tell him, I’m a different type of person, and I say, ’Mike, don’t call the governor of Washington. you’re wasting your time with him.”

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I don’t see how anyone could defend this. It’s sociopathic in the extreme.

Narcissistic, really. Donald demands praise.

Upvote 0

Evan Jellicoe

Aug 2, 2016
downstate Illinois
✟22,984.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

The following from the OP's link would indicate they are just hard to get along with, and yes, I think there is more to this...as usual.

That would be Trump's defense of what he did, but, honestly, judging from my own observations and not the reporting of what he calls the Fake Media, I think Trump's weak defenses of his own mistakes just add evidence that he is unfit for the office of President. I mean, even if the governors were just whiny complainers (which I do not think is the case), that is completely irrelevant. A Christian does not treat a "respectful" person nicely, but a "disrespectful" person like dirt.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
That would be Trump's defense of what he did, but, honestly, judging from my own observations and not the reporting of what he calls the Fake Media, I think Trump's weak defenses of his own mistakes just add evidence that he is unfit for the office of President. I mean, even if the governors were just whiny complainers (which I do not think is the case), that is completely irrelevant.

Christian does not treat a "respectful" person nicely, but a "disrespectful" person like dirt.

This part I agree with. The first segment of the post, however, reads just like a rehash of the usual partisan talking points.

Upvote 0

Kentonio

Jan 25, 2018
Lyon
✟266,564.00
Country
France
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single

And what is meant by "reaching out" to them?

"Trump said that Pence “calls all the governors. And I tell him, I’m a different type of person, and I say, ’Mike, don’t call the governor of Washington. you’re wasting your time with him.”

Is this a joke? The federal government are supposed to be coordinating the national effort, making manufacturers produce equipment and distributing stockpiled equipment to where its most needed. And the president is advising the man in charge of the national response to not talk to governors who don’t say nice things about them.

There is absolutely no way to spin this as anything other than despicable. Please don’t cheapen yourself by trying.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
“Democrats are trying to make your health care better...Republicans in Washington are trying to take it away.”

--Gretchen Whitmer

Two things to remember when trying to figure out Gretchen Whitmer: 1) she ran for Governor on the promise to fix the roads...but then promptly opposed the Legislature's willingness to fund the project, and 2) she is running for the Democratic Vice Presidential nomination at present, which explains why there is more flowery rhetoric than real action coming from her office.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Evan Jellicoe

Aug 2, 2016
downstate Illinois
✟22,984.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
This part I agree with. The first segment of the post, however, reads just like a rehash of the usual partisan talking points.

One thing I learned since 2015 is not to support or dismiss arguments because they are "partisan." Excessively partisan arguments can seem tiresome, but if a particular point is actually true, then it doesn't matter who is saying it or how they are saying it. "Trump lies frequently, with casual disregard for whether the lie can easily be disproved" is itself a provable statement of fact, not a made-up Democratic talking point.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
"Trump lies frequently, with casual disregard for whether the lie can easily be disproved" is itself a provable statement of fact, not a made-up Democratic talking point.
Wow. That line merely tends to prove the point you set out to debunk. :doh:

Upvote 0

Evan Jellicoe

Aug 2, 2016
downstate Illinois
✟22,984.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
"Trump lies frequently, with casual disregard for whether the lie can easily be disproved" is itself a provable statement of fact, not a made-up Democratic talking point."

Wow. That line merely tends to prove the point you set out to debunk. :doh:

How so? Explain. I really want to understand what you mean.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Vylo

Stick with the King!
Aug 3, 2003
New Jersey
✟203,465.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
“Democrats are trying to make your health care better...Republicans in Washington are trying to take it away.”

--Gretchen Whitmer

Two things to remember when trying to figure out Gretchen Whitmer: 1) she ran for Governor on the promise to fix the roads...but then promptly opposed the Legislature's willingness to fund the project, and 2) she is running for the Democratic Vice Presidential nomination at present, which explains why there is more flowery rhetoric than real action coming from her office.
There was no willingness of the legislature to fund the road repairs, they opposed it, and she caved on the first budget to get one passed and is now trying to hold her ground on this next one:
Whitmer breaks pledge to 'fix the damn roads' under new budget

More projection from the GOP.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
There was no willingness of the legislature to fund the road repairs...
I'm sorry but that's false.

they opposed it, and she caved on the first budget to get one passed and is now trying to hold her ground on this next one
The legislature did NOT oppose it. However, they were forced to oppose Gov. Whitmer's "take it or leave it" demand to have the bill and a surprise wish list of the usual Democratic give-aways for projects other than roadbuilding.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Vylo

Stick with the King!
Aug 3, 2003
New Jersey
✟203,465.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I'm sorry but that's false.

The legislature did NOT oppose it. However, they were forced to oppose Gov. Whitmer's "take it or leave it" demand to have the bill add in a surprise wish list of the usual Democratic give-aways for projects other than roadbuilding.
there was a simple fuel tax hike proposed to pay for it. GOP rejected.

Upvote 0

Vylo

Stick with the King!
Aug 3, 2003
New Jersey
✟203,465.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
That bill was twice what she had said she needed for roads and then there was also her proposed increases in allocations for other projects. The legislature rightly saw that such budget-busting demands could not work. In sum, she compromised the roads bill that legislators were otherwise willing to pass.
You have a source on that?

Upvote 0

Evan Jellicoe

Aug 2, 2016
downstate Illinois
✟22,984.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Arguing about Governor Whitmer's political actions is not the point of this discussion. Did she make a wise decision? Or was she an idiot? Neither opinion, if correct, has any bearing on how Trump treated her, and it is Trump's words that are under review here, not Whitmer's actions. Let's get back on topic.

Upvote 0