Texas
✟77,930.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
One of the most durable myths in recent history is that the religious right, the coalition of conservative evangelicals and fundamentalists, emerged as a political movement in response to the U.S. Supreme Court’s 1973 Roe v. Wade ruling legalizing abortion.

....But the abortion myth quickly collapses under historical scrutiny. In fact, it wasn’t until 1979—a full six years after Roe—that evangelical leaders, at the behest of conservative activist Paul Weyrich, seized on abortion not for moral reasons, but as a rallying-cry to deny President Jimmy Carter a second term. Why? Because the anti-abortion crusade was more palatable than the religious right’s real motive: protecting segregated schools.

That was the article I was thinking of while I read the OP. I think it fits the narrative of this thread.

The Real Origins of the Religious Right

• Informative
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
See above comment.....
In that case you have a serious public relations problem because, honestly, from our side of the fence Trump supporters really do appear to be a resurgence of the Lost Cause.

Upvote 0

lasthero

Jul 30, 2013
✟229,457.00
Faith
Seeker
What do you expect from people who fought a long and bloody war against Lincoln and what he stood for?
I’d actually chalk at least some of it up to ignorance - I don’t think most Americans are really that well versed in history. They probably know something of Lincoln, but only what they might remember him from when they studied in school, if that. Most just know him as that guy who freed the slaves. Granted, there are certainly some Confederate loonies our there - I’ve met some - but I’d say they’re fringe.

Meanwhile, Trump is fresh in their minds. It’s a lot easier to like someone who’s alive and in your face all day long.

Upvote 0

Aryeh Jay

Gone and hopefully forgotten.
Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟520,644.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
In that case you have a serious public relations problem because, honestly, from our side of the fence Trump supporters really do appear to be a resurgence of the Lost Cause.

Well, the North did win the popular vote, but if done over today, I’m sure the Confederacy would get the Electoral College.

Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟556,111.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Trump preferred over Lincoln by Republicans: poll

Who is the best Republican president between Donald Trump and Abraham Lincoln? For most Republican respondents to a recent poll, the answer is Trump.

In response to the question, “Which Republicanpresident was better?,” more than half (53 percent) of GOP respondents answered “Trump,” while 47 percent answered “Lincoln.”
That’s sad to hear but not surprising given the abysmal graduation rates in Red States.

Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟556,111.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
That is actually the most incredibly ignorant comment I have ever read on this website. It demonstrates an absolute hatred for people of a political party simply because you disagree with their politics as well as a complete lack of understanding of the political aspects of the Civil War. I feel sorry for you and your obvious inability to grasp the historical significance of the Republican Party's support of Lincoln and his actions in defeating the Confederacy.
Sounds like most Republican voters disagree with you and your characterization of Lincoln’s importance to the Republican Party and his contributions to our nation. Personally, I’d never place any modern president above either Lincoln or Washington.

Upvote 0

Aryeh Jay

Gone and hopefully forgotten.
Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟520,644.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Sounds like most Republican voters disagree with you and your characterization of Lincoln’s importance to the Republican Party and his contributions to our nation. Personally, I’d never place any modern president above either Lincoln or Washington.

Lincoln? Didn’t he leave the Republican Party and Run in 64 with a Democrat as his running mate? Sounds like a flip flopping RINO to me. He was against freeing the Slaves before he was for it.

Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟556,111.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Lincoln? Didn’t he leave the Republican Party and Run in 64 with a Democrat as his running mate? Sounds like a flip flopping RINO to me. He was against freeing the Slaves before he was for it.
Yeah and the guy couldn’t even finish out his term. Only losers can’t finish their term as president.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Lincoln? Didn’t he leave the Republican Party and Run in 64 with a Democrat as his running mate?

Sounds like a flip flopping RINO to me. He was against freeing the Slaves before he was for it.

You are almost right.
How about a game of horseshoes.
Close counts.
M-Bob

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That is actually the most incredibly ignorant comment I have ever read on this website. It demonstrates an absolute hatred for people of a political party simply because you disagree with their politics as well as a complete lack of understanding of the political aspects of the Civil War. I feel sorry for you and your obvious inability to grasp the historical significance of the Republican Party's support of Lincoln and his actions in defeating the Confederacy.
My observations are of present-day Republicans, rather than the Republicans of Lincoln's day.

I was as shocked as you appear to be of some of the current-day disdain for Lincoln.

I would advise of a more accurate assessment of some of your fellows ... before you accuse another poster of ignorance, lest your own ignorance be revealed ...

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Actually, we think that to be a good thing.
Maybe you don't know many?

And Lincoln was a great President.
Just seems Trump is preferred.
M-Bob
Lincoln didn't really do an awful lot, and some of what he did was not admirable--suspend habeas corpus, for instance. His fame rests mainly on his Emancipation Proclamation (that freed no slaves but is a famous symbol), the sympathy that goes out to any victim of assassination, and his presumed strength of character.

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Lincoln didn't really do an awful lot, and some of what he did was not admirable--suspend habeas corpus, for instance. His fame rests mainly on his Emancipation Proclamation (that freed no slaves but is a famous symbol), the sympathy that goes out to any victim of assassination, and his presumed strength of character.
What stands out for me is his determination to preserve the Union.

"If I could save the union without freeing any slaves I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing all the slaves I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing some and leaving others alone I would also do that."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
What stands out for me is his determination to preserve the Union.
I don't want to denigrate Lincoln unnecessarily, but wouldn't this be the least that we would have expected from almost anyone who might have been in the White House when war broke out?

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
I don't want to denigrate Lincoln unnecessarily, but wouldn't this be the least that we would have expected from almost anyone who might have been in the White House when war broke out?
I think Buchanan would have fumbled it away.

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status