Trump nominates Amy Barrett to the Supreme Court.

Oompa Loompa

Against both police brutality and cop killing.
Jun 4, 2020
Louisiana
✟150,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
She might, in private, but it won't stop her from making SCOTUS decisions base on her religious ideology.
Do you think Biden would make policy decisions based on his "religious ideology" as well?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,109,676.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
We all have a debt to our forebears. If Justice Ginsberg laid the track for anyone, it’s someone just like HERSELF. Soon to be Justice Barrett is a Justice Scalia protégé. She can thank him for going before her.
What did Judge Barrett actually say about Justice Ginsberg?

Reactions: wing2000
Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,090,720.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
When the lives of 23 million sick and uninsured are at sake, I'll say what I please.

Are you one of those people who has been denying that 7 justices in 1973, almost all of them Republican, ruled on Roe v. Wade based on their "understanding of the law." Oh, no! You call them murderers, baby killers. And you have been fighting for 47 years--some people who allege they are pro-lifers have even bombed abortion clinics. One even murdered a Planned Parenthood doctor who was ushering at his church.

You don't respect their "understanding of the law," so why should I respect Amy Coney Barrett's. She has made at least 3 comments attacking the ACA. She is a wealthy woman whose husband is a partner in a law firm. She is able to outsource a lot of her child rearing and household tasks to paid help (or perhaps the older children are raising the younger ones, which is what happened in my friends' homes when they were kids.) We are in a pandemic. 209,000 people have died in the U.S. (worldometer.) Many are poor and people of color. And she doesn't believe health care is a human right.

She signed up to work for the worst president in our history, who will almost definitely face a grand jury in NY early next year. She accepted the post even though early voting has begun and some people have already cast ballots and Trump has no business appointing anyone. She belongs to a suspect covenant church group (which, BTW, is ecumenical, not Catholic, according to its website and membership.)

And so yeah, I can question her integrity. And since the "People of Praise" are not a Catholic group, but a mixed bag of people including Pentacostals and fundamentalists, no senator is anti-Catholic for questioning her loyalty to the Constitution.

Upvote 0

LostMarbels

All-Lives-Matter
Jun 18, 2011
Orlando Fl
✟173,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I hope Judge Amy Barrett, a highly accomplished and successful lawyer, recognizes that she is where she is today due to the efforts of Ruth Ginsberg's (and others before her) to fight for women's equality.

You might want to see her speech. There is an entire section devoted to her, not just mentioned in passing.

• Agree
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

Oompa Loompa

Jun 4, 2020
Louisiana
✟150,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Married women with wealthy husband's like Barrett and her predecessor Phyllis Schlafly don't realize how privileged has eased their path. A Congressional candidate like Corey Busch, who was homeless and lived in her car at one time in her life are worth a dozen Amy Barretts.
Does being married to a wealthy person now disqualify a person from an office?

Upvote 0

LostMarbels

All-Lives-Matter
Jun 18, 2011
Orlando Fl
✟173,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
To her credit, she did acknowledge Ruth Ginsburg publicly at the WH ceremony yesterday:

....at 13:20
WATCH: Supreme Court Nominee Announcement

It will be interesting to see if that appreciation is reflected in future decisions that address equality not only for women, but for all Americans.

Ok... read down a bit I guess you saw it.

But yeah, I agree I want to her to make decisions for all Americans I approve of also.

• Friendly
Reactions: wing2000
Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,109,676.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
She might, in private, but it won't stop her from making SCOTUS decisions base on her religious ideology.
After listening to her for 55 mins. I don't think that she will do that.
One of the things she learned from Justice Scalia was decisions can't be based on your own likes or dislikes. She gave an example of the case that came before the SCOTUS about flag burning. He ruled that it was not unConstitutional to burn a flag even though he was strongly against it, it actually pained him to make that decision.

Upvote 0

Oompa Loompa

Jun 4, 2020
Louisiana
✟150,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When the lives of 23 million sick and uninsured are at sake, I'll say what I please.

Are you one of those people who has been denying that 7 justices in 1973, almost all of them Republican, ruled on Roe v. Wade based on their "understanding of the law." Oh, no! You call them murderers, baby killers. And you have been fighting for 47 years--some people who allege they are pro-lifers have even bombed abortion clinics. One even murdered a Planned Parenthood doctor who was ushering at his church.

You don't respect their "understanding of the law," so why should I respect Amy Coney Barrett's. She has made at least 3 comments attacking the ACA. She is a wealthy woman whose husband is a partner in a law firm. She is able to outsource a lot of her child rearing and household tasks to paid help (or perhaps the older children are raising the younger ones, which is what happened in my friends' homes when they were kids.) We are in a pandemic. 209,000 people have died in the U.S. (worldometer.) Many are poor and people of color. And she doesn't believe health care is a human right.

She signed up to work for the worst president in our history, who will almost definitely face a grand jury in NY early next year. She accepted the post even though early voting has begun and some people have already cast ballots and Trump has no business appointing anyone. She belongs to a suspect covenant church group (which, BTW, is ecumenical, not Catholic, according to its website and membership.)

And so yeah, I can question her integrity. And since the "People of Praise" are not a Catholic group, but a mixed bag of people including Pentacostals and fundamentalists, no senator is anti-Catholic for questioning her loyalty to the Constitution.
I sense a lot of unchecked emotion and fear in your tone with very little justification for it. Our battle is not with flesh and blood. Just know that your spirit of fear was implanted into you by the dark forces that are manipulating and controlling the country. I don't hate you as an enemy, but have compassion for you as a victim of fear. Just remember, if you have any faith in the sovereignty of God Almighty, you would trust that whatever happens is in accordance to His will.

• Informative
Reactions: Bobber
Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,090,720.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Does being married to a wealthy person now disqualify a person from an office?

Some people who have never suffered hardships are intuitively empathetic and compassionate. But many people, like Missouri Congressional candidate Corey Busch (running in a safe Democratic district), have become empathetic and compassionate through their own life experiences.

A compassionate legislator or judge is worth a dozen Barretts (and a million Trumps.)

So see, I said something nice. She's better than Trump.

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,090,720.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I sense a lot of unchecked emotion and fear in your tone with very little justification for it. Our battle is not with flesh and blood. Just know that your spirit of fear was implanted into you by the dark forces that are manipulating and controlling the country. I don't hate you as an enemy, but have compassion for you as a victim of fear. Just remember, if you have any faith in the sovereignty of God Almighty, you would trust that whatever happens is in accordance to His will.
Sheesh! Trump and his Congressional and Cabinet accomplices ARE "the dark forces that are manipulating and controlling the country."
And I am not fearful for myself. I have Medicare. My husband is a disabled veteran who hasn't paid a dime for healthcare for 15 years. I have compassion for others.
And I would bet a hundred bucks that you weren't saying that "whatever happens is in accordance to God's will" when Obama was president--and you won't say it when the forces of love and light defeat Trump on November 3, either.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Oompa Loompa

Jun 4, 2020
Louisiana
✟150,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Some people who have never suffered hardships are intuitively empathetic and compassionate. But many people, like Missouri Congressional candidate Corey Busch (running in a safe Democratic district), have become empathetic and compassionate through their own life experiences.

A compassionate legislator or judge is worth a dozen Barretts (and a million Trumps.)

So see, I said something nice. She's better than Trump.
Do you think it is the responsibility of the Supreme Court to make decisions based on compassion and empathy, or objectively interpreting existing law? The way i see it, it is the responsibility of legislators to make laws with their compassion and empathy and the Supreme Court ensures they are objectively interpreted and applied. So I don't think Barrett's "white privilege" is going to be a problem.

Upvote 0

Oompa Loompa

Jun 4, 2020
Louisiana
✟150,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sheesh! Trump and his Congressional and Cabinet accomplices ARE "the dark forces that are manipulating and controlling the country."
And I am not fearful for myself. I have Medicare. My husband is a disabled veteran who hasn't paid a dime for healthcare for 15 years. I have compassion for others.
And I would bet a hundred bucks that you weren't saying that "whatever happens is in accordance to God's will" when Obama was president--and you won't say it when the forces of love and light defeat Trump on November 3, either.
You sound rather privileged on the topic of health care. Are you sure you are qualified to make opinions about it? Also, I voted for Obama twice because I was actually foolish enough to believe his message of "hope and change". So yes, I did believe that it was God's will when he was elected.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: LostMarbels
Upvote 0

LostMarbels

All-Lives-Matter
Jun 18, 2011
Orlando Fl
✟173,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Do you think it is the responsibility of the Supreme Court to make decisions based on compassion and empathy, or objectively interpreting existing law? The way i see it, it is the responsibility of legislators to make laws with their compassion and empathy and the Supreme Court ensures they are objectively interpreted and applied. So I don't think Barrett's "white privilege" is going to be a problem.

Well there's gotta be sumthin that can be blamed on her....

• Agree
Reactions: Oompa Loompa
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟691,408.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
After listening to her for 55 mins. I don't think that she will do that.
One of the things she learned from Justice Scalia was decisions can't be based on your own likes or dislikes. She gave an example of the case that came before the SCOTUS about flag burning. He ruled that it was not unConstitutional to burn a flag even though he was strongly against it, it actually pained him to make that decision.

I didn't see a video at your link?

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,567.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Do you think Biden would make policy decisions based on his "religious ideology" as well?

No. Biden is a Catholic, but he doesn't allow religious authorities to determine his politics.

Amy Barret has yet to demonstrate that. On the contrary, she is a member of a highly authoritarian and patriarchal religious sect that doesn't represent mainstream Catholicism in the US.

Upvote 0

Oompa Loompa

Jun 4, 2020
Louisiana
✟150,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No. Biden is a Catholic, but he doesn't allow religious authorities to determine his politics.

Amy Barret has yet to demonstrate that. On the contrary, she is a member of a highly authoritarian and patriarchal religious sect that doesn't represent mainstream Catholicism in the US.
If you say so. But to be honest, everyone knows that the left would reject any nominee the president puts forth. There are even pictures of women holding signs that say, "I don't know who Trump will nominate. But whoever he is,, he raped me 30 years ago". The minute Trump said "Amy Barrett", the witch hunt began. The left is already convinced Amy is unqualified, they just have to find the dirt to prove it. Even if the dirt isn't there, they will make up dirt. The democratic party shot themselves in the foot after what they tried to do to Justice Kavanaugh. Now the Republicans (and most of the American people), have a "screw you" attitude regarding Supreme Court nominations.

So again, if anyone on the left find the situation to be unfair, they only have to remember Brett Kavanaugh to know why they only have themselves to blame.

Upvote 0

GreatLakes4Ever

Jan 2, 2019
Midwest
✟264,956.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Engaged
If you say so. But to be honest, everyone knows that the left would reject any nominee the president puts forth. There are even pictures of women holding signs that say, "I don't know who Trump will nominate. But whoever he is,, he raped me 30 years ago". The minute Trump said "Amy Barrett", the witch hunt began. The left is already convinced Amy is unqualified, they just have to find the dirt to prove it. Even if the dirt isn't there, they will make up dirt. The democratic party shot themselves in the foot after what they tried to do to Justice Kavanaugh. Now the Republicans (and most of the American people), have a "screw you" attitude regarding Supreme Court nominations.

So again, if anyone on the left find the situation to be unfair, they only have to remember Brett Kavanaugh to know why they only have themselves to blame.

I gotta see a picture of this or there will be no way I believe this is a true statement.

Upvote 0