Trump-appointed judge blocks Biden agencies from communicating with social media platforms

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,100,516.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
A federal judge has blocked key agencies within President Joe Biden’s administration from communicating with social media companies about certain online speech in an extraordinary ruling as part of an ongoing case that could have profound impacts on the First Amendment.

The preliminary injunction granted by Donald Trump-appointed US District Judge Terry A Doughty in Louisiana on 4 July prohibits the FBI and the US Department of Health and Human Services, among others, from speaking with platforms for “the purpose of urging, encouraging, pressuring, or inducing in any manner the removal, deletion, suppression, or reduction of content containing protected free speech.”

:clap::clap::clap:

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟300,988.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
So why is a case lead by the State of Missouri occurring in the Monroe division of the Western District of Louisiana? Why not the federal courthouse nearest the Missouri state capital?

Oh, wait, I know. There is only one federal judge in Monroe. They were judge shopping.

• Informative
Reactions: ThatRobGuy
Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,100,516.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
So why is a case lead by the State of Missouri occurring in the Monroe division of the Western District of Louisiana? Why not the federal courthouse nearest the Missouri state capital?

Oh, wait, I know. There is only one federal judge in Monroe. They were judge shopping.
Surely you aren't suggesting that we have to shop around to find a judge who will protect free speech?

Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟300,988.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Surely you aren't suggesting that we have to shop around to find a judge who will protect free speech?

No, I am suggesting this is probably a garbage suit that needs help. The non-state plaintiffs are a collection of heath misinformation propagators and propagandists and the publisher of a fake news/conspiracy site. Assuming the non-state plaintiffs had a valid case (let's just assume that for the moment), this looks more like a private action by a bunch of twit(er user)s who got blocked, suspended, etc., upon (based on their apparent claims against government actors) the recommendation of government agencies or actors (the defendants). (I note the lack of social media companies among the defendants.)

If their home states have an interest in protecting their citizens from federal intrusion in their free speech rights, then an amicus brief to the court in support of the suit might be appropriate. Alternatively a suit from the state might be appropriate if they can demonstrate a broad pattern of behavior of government demanded censorship of their citizens.

This doesn't look like any of those. It's forum shopping.

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟143,292.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
A federal judge has blocked key agencies within President Joe Biden’s administration from communicating with social media companies about certain online speech in an extraordinary ruling as part of an ongoing case that could have profound impacts on the First Amendment.

The preliminary injunction granted by Donald Trump-appointed US District Judge Terry A Doughty in Louisiana on 4 July prohibits the FBI and the US Department of Health and Human Services, among others, from speaking with platforms for “the purpose of urging, encouraging, pressuring, or inducing in any manner the removal, deletion, suppression, or reduction of content containing protected free speech.”

:clap::clap::clap:
I’m not quite sure what the emojis are. It looks like “celebration”.
A Judge has (potentially) infringed on the Free Speech of the President.
“You cannot have people whose job is to fraternize with ‘the Press’ .”
That’s like half of the jobs!

I see a writ of mandamus a-comin

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,100,516.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
LOL!

Infringing on the free speech of the President, as his Administration infringes on the free speech of the People he supposedly serves?

Yes, I'm celebrating a victory against the assault on our Constitution.

Upvote 0

stevil

Godless and without morals
Feb 5, 2011
✟249,915.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private

I see a writ of mandamus a-comin
Yeah it seems like a poor judgement, and will most likely be overturned.

• Agree
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,100,516.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Yeah it seems like a poor judgement, and will most likely be overturned.
Well since Trump won't be censored during this campaign, nor those like the New York Post, who expose the trumped up lies waged against him; maybe some heads will roll when he takes office.

Why do some on the Left have such contempt for the 1st Amendment?

Reactions: Vambram
Upvote 0

stevil

Godless and without morals
Feb 5, 2011
✟249,915.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Well since Trump won't be censored during this campaign, nor those like the New York Post, who expose the trumped up lies waged against him; maybe some heads will roll when he takes office.

I would consider myself on the right.
It's very doubful D Trump could win the USA presidential election again. But hey, stranger things have happened.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,100,516.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟212,669.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Disinformation is a protected right!

Why do some on the Right spread lies about the Left?

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,100,516.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Why do some on the Right spread lies about the Left?
The NY Post was telling the truth.

One of the FBI agents who briefed Facebook before the social network restricted The Post’s expose on Hunter Biden’s laptop in October 2020 declared in a meeting with Twitter and Homeland Security officials earlier this year that media needs to be “held accountable” for spreading so-called “disinformation” according to a report.

The FBI warned Twitter during “weekly” meetings before the 2020 election to expect “hack-and-leak operations’’ by “state actors” involving Hunter Biden, and “likely” in October, according to a sworn declaration by Twitter’s former head of site integrity, Yoel Roth.

The warnings were so specific that Twitter immediately censored The Post’s scoop about Hunter Biden’s laptop on Oct. 14, 2020, citing its “hacked materials” policy, a move described on Saturday as “election interference” by Twitter’s new owner, Elon Musk.

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟143,292.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
The NY Post was telling the truth.

One of the FBI agents who briefed Facebook before the social network restricted The Post’s expose on Hunter Biden’s laptop in October 2020 declared in a meeting with Twitter and Homeland Security officials earlier this year that media needs to be “held accountable” for spreading so-called “disinformation” according to a report.

The FBI warned Twitter during “weekly” meetings before the 2020 election to expect “hack-and-leak operations’’ by “state actors” involving Hunter Biden, and “likely” in October, according to a sworn declaration by Twitter’s former head of site integrity, Yoel Roth.

The warnings were so specific that Twitter immediately censored The Post’s scoop about Hunter Biden’s laptop on Oct. 14, 2020, citing its “hacked materials” policy, a move described on Saturday as “election interference” by Twitter’s new owner, Elon Musk.

So what?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟143,292.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
That's the point.
Are you suggesting that the Trump Administration lost control of the FBI after Donald Trump went out of his way to fire Comey to get someone he himself appointed?

• Agree
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,100,516.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Are you suggesting that the Trump Administration lost control of the FBI after Donald Trump went out of his way to fire Comey to get someone he himself appointed?
What do you mean by lost control? Trump was in the process of draining the swamp.

Are you suggesting that it's OK for the FBI to censor the Press, and spread disinformation?

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟143,292.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
What do you mean by lost control? Trump was in the process of draining the swamp.

Are you suggesting that it's OK for the FBI to censor the Press, and spread disinformation?
Where did you show that the FBI forbad news media to cover a story?

Upvote 0

NxNW

Nov 30, 2019
NW
✟195,068.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I'm suggesting that the Biden administration never threatened it in the first place. Though I recall Trump making many attempts to suppress it.

Upvote 0