Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
"True repentance is not pressed, squeezed, nor extorted, by the workings and violent struggles of guilt and wrath, fear and torment; but it flows out under the sin-pardoning, operations of the Spirit of love, accompanied with the blood of atonement, attended with a believing view of Christ and of interest in him, and of God’s appearing reconciled and well pleased in Jesus, shining upon us in his blessed face, accepting us in the beloved, and blessing us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in him: this is repentance unto life, and is the gift of God." Discoveries and Cautions from the Streets of Zion

Reactions: JustAsIam77

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,544.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
"True repentance is not pressed, squeezed, nor extorted, by the workings and violent struggles of guilt and wrath, fear and torment; but it flows out under the sin-pardoning, operations of the Spirit of love, accompanied with the blood of atonement, attended with a believing view of Christ and of interest in him, and of God’s appearing reconciled and well pleased in Jesus, shining upon us in his blessed face, accepting us in the beloved, and blessing us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in him: this is repentance unto life, and is the gift of God." Discoveries and Cautions from the Streets of Zion
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Upvote 0
Oct 21, 2003
Central Time Zone
✟107,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I posted the following in the John Wesley thread in response to a comment on repentance:

"Repentance is not just a fruit of salvation but also a requirement for salvation."

Conditional election is not only unbiblical but maketh no sense. A question I ask, even my own father, to such a notion, is, how about the Christian who dies with unrepentant sin? For example, let's consider a Christian who has been a Christian for most of their life, let's say they have walked the walk and talked the talk most of their life, let's say toward the end of their life they slip up and sin, and die unexpectedly and suddenly of a heart attack, without a chance to ask for forgiveness before they die. Will the Lord then damn to Hell this person? This person who lived to serve the Lord and always do what is right in the eyes of the Lord, is then plucked from the flock for lack of grace? Will the Lord not have mercy on His own children? Will He rather look at their righteousness than the righteousness of Christ, the blood of Jesus shed for the remission of their sins? We give the wrong impression when we go to putting requirements on salvation, we make God's love out to be just like man's, that is conditional. Praise God His love is not like man's, His love is unconditional, and when He looks at His people, He sees the righteousness of Christ, rather than the filthy rags of self-righteousness. You see, it's not that repentance is a requirement of salvation, it's a fruit of the Spirit, it's an evidence of a true Christian, it is a sinners response to the grace and mercy of God. Finally, true repentance is not something we even have in and of ourselves, it is from God, in ourselves we fail miserably with our token repentance, our insincere repentance, our double-mindedness, our pity parties, and every other kind of counterfeit. To even have the desire, well that is a gift from God, to produce the kind of conviction from the Spirit to, not only confess but to act upon it and be devoted to obeying Christ.

Reactions: JustAsIam77
Upvote 0

JustAsIam77

Veritas Liberabit Vos
Dec 26, 2006
South Florida
✟30,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican

:thumbsup:

Although I hate sin I am a sinner, in the apostle Paul's words,

"O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death?"

Upvote 0

JustAsIam77

Veritas Liberabit Vos
Dec 26, 2006
South Florida
✟30,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Hi JM, I value your perspective, do you think:
1. Repentance means to turn from sin.
2. Repentance means to change your mind.

Is not preaching to turn from sin otherwise you're not saved preaching pure Law?
What do you think of this persons perspective: 3 Reasons Why I Don’t Preach on Repentance (“Turn from Sin”)

Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟746,155.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Hi JM, I value your perspective, do you think:
1. Repentance means to turn from sin.
2. Repentance means to change your mind.

Is not preaching to turn from sin otherwise you're not saved preaching pure Law?
What do you think of this persons perspective: 3 Reasons Why I Don’t Preach on Repentance (“Turn from Sin”)

Thank you for the question. Repentance does refer to a turning from sin and is an acknowledgement that we need for Jesus.

Christ taught us to pray "forgive us our sins" in Matthew 6 and Luke 11.

Our Father, which art in heaven,
Hallowed be thy Name;
Thy kingdom come;
Thy will be done
in earth, as it is in heaven:
Give us this day our daily bread;
And forgive us our trespasses,
as we forgive them that trespass against us;
And lead us not into temptation,
But deliver us from evil:

Yours in the Lord,

jm

Upvote 0

JustAsIam77

Veritas Liberabit Vos
Dec 26, 2006
South Florida
✟30,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Thank you for the question. Repentance does refer to a turning from sin and is an acknowledgement that we need for Jesus.

Christ taught us to pray "forgive us our sins" in Matthew 6 and Luke 11.

Our Father, which art in heaven,
Hallowed be thy Name;
Thy kingdom come;
Thy will be done
in earth, as it is in heaven:
Give us this day our daily bread;
And forgive us our trespasses,
as we forgive them that trespass against us;
And lead us not into temptation,
But deliver us from evil:

Yours in the Lord,

jm
But what if we are not humanly capable of turning from sin does not grace come into the equation? What is repentance?

Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟746,155.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
But what if we are not humanly capable of turning from sin does not grace come into the equation? What is repentance?

There is no repentance apart from grace brother. In the op we read,

"it flows out under the sin-pardoning, operations of the Spirit of love, accompanied with the blood of atonement, attended with a believing view of Christ and of interest in him..."​

The London Baptist Confession reads,

"saving repentance is an evangelical grace, whereby a person, being by the Holy Spirit made sensible of the manifold evils of his sin, does, by faith in Christ, humble himself for it with godly sorrow, detestation of it, and self–abhorrancy, praying for pardon and strength of grace, with a purpose and endeavor, by supplies of the Spirit, to walk before God unto all well–pleasing in all things."​

It continues,

"As repentance is to be continued through the whole course of our lives, upon the account of the body of death, and the motions thereof, so it is every man’s duty to repent of his particular known sins particularly."​

We continue to repent our entire lives because of Christ!

"the provision which God has made through Christ in the covenant of grace for the preservation of believers unto salvation, that although there is no sin so small but it deserves damnation, yet there is no sin so great that it shall bring damnation to them that repent, which makes the constant preaching of repentance necessary."​

Yours in the Lord,

jm

Upvote 0

JustAsIam77

Veritas Liberabit Vos
Dec 26, 2006
South Florida
✟30,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
There is no repentance apart from grace brother. In the op we read,

"it flows out under the sin-pardoning, operations of the Spirit of love, accompanied with the blood of atonement, attended with a believing view of Christ and of interest in him..."​

The London Baptist Confession reads,

"saving repentance is an evangelical grace, whereby a person, being by the Holy Spirit made sensible of the manifold evils of his sin, does, by faith in Christ, humble himself for it with godly sorrow, detestation of it, and self–abhorrancy, praying for pardon and strength of grace, with a purpose and endeavor, by supplies of the Spirit, to walk before God unto all well–pleasing in all things."​

It continues,

"As repentance is to be continued through the whole course of our lives, upon the account of the body of death, and the motions thereof, so it is every man’s duty to repent of his particular known sins particularly."​

We continue to repent our entire lives because of Christ!

"the provision which God has made through Christ in the covenant of grace for the preservation of believers unto salvation, that although there is no sin so small but it deserves damnation, yet there is no sin so great that it shall bring damnation to them that repent, which makes the constant preaching of repentance necessary."​

Yours in the Lord,

jm

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
I claim that it's impossible to turn from sin, am I wrong?
I never saw in Scripture anyone who was acquitted for not being able to turn from sin.
I never heard anyone else outside of Scripture make that claim either.
I reckon you are probably wrong. Since it never came up before ,
what do you want to do , if anything ?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JustAsIam77

Veritas Liberabit Vos
Dec 26, 2006
South Florida
✟30,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
I never saw in Scripture anyone who was acquitted for not being able to turn from sin.
I want to love Christ as my Savior and KNOW that anything I do that I may think is righteous is as filthy rags to my God.

Upvote 0

JustAsIam77

Veritas Liberabit Vos
Dec 26, 2006
South Florida
✟30,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Have you ever heard of The Doctrines of Grace?

Upvote 0

JustAsIam77

Veritas Liberabit Vos
Dec 26, 2006
South Florida
✟30,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
This is the most uninformed statement I think I've ever come across on this forum.

Upvote 0